Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I have no idea why people think a shelter in place in Iowa is worth the paper it’s written on. Iowans live in comfortable living quarters not on to of each other. My in-laws live in Colorado, which is on “lockdown” and they say everyone is treating it like any other day, out and about. Same goes with California, people think it’s just PTO and are having a great time outside together. Unless we call in the military it takes people taking ownership to enforce the shelter in place. I saw someone comment on this, Reynolds says she is not opposed to shutting down portions of the state rather than the whole state.
I would not be opposed to Reynolds identifying the hotspots or potential hotspots and enforcing more strict guidelines for those places, however she has mentioned a couple of times that she wants the whole state to be together on this so I don't think she's going to do those things at this point in time.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Have you seen the video of the hospital ship coming in to dock in NYC(NYC!)?
There was a group of about 250-300 people there watching. I mean crowded together, shoulder to shoulder. Some channel was there doing a live feed. Unfortunately, some of the onlookers were on-duty NYPD. Well, some city official noticed this, got on the horn to the Chief, who then contacted the cops on site and told them to disperse the crowd. Lol. You couldn’t make this **** up.
At the end of the day, humans are going to be human.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
I just went a mile from our house in Waukee to the Hy-Vee and there were a lot of people at some business that I'd question have any need to be open. Unfortunately, people won't always do the right thing until forced to.

I know Reynolds said yesterday that she's confident Iowans will do the right thing and stay home, but that is a chicken **** way of not making a difficult decision that now almost every other governor has made. **** politics, some people are either dumb or greedy and won't close on their own. A test of a true leader is can they make the tough call and do what is in the best interest of the population, despite what their donors or personal interests may want.

Yes, I realize that there is very little difference between a "stay at home order" and what we have today.... except for the dumbshits that keep truly non essential businesses open and are keeping their employees held hostage while they should be at home.

The longer places refuse to close, the longer those of us that have already been home for 2 weeks are going to have to stay at home. Shut it down and this all ends a lot sooner.

Also in Waukee, a neighbor (couple houses down and other side of the street) had a garage sale today, seriously. People were streaming in and out throughout the entire day, picking things up, getting a good look, setting them back down. It baffles me how clueless some people can be.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
So why wouldn't you guys mention them, it is starting to seem like you guys care more about politics right now than if the right decisions are being made.

I checked on Ohio, they have 2.5X the per capita amount of people hospitalized for corona and over 2X the amount of per capita deaths from this, but we are told they are a model to uphold.

When asked if you would give credit to Reynolds if everything turned out o.k. you said no because you feel she is guessing at things.

The other states that you guys mentioned are testing at a way lower rate than Iowa, but you chastised Reynolds earlier in this thread for not enough tests being done, but you think Virginia and Kansas are great, even Maryland is only about 10% per capita higher than us.

If you want to hate her decisions due to her political affiliation, just say that because that is what it appears you are doing.

I hate her decisions because she has completely contradicted herself for making reasons about data and metrics about a thousand times and then says things completely ignorant of how public health and epidemics work.

Regardless of what her decisions were, I’d at least respect them if she told a consistent and scientific based rationale. I cannot respect somebody that constantly says everybody should want to stay home and then in the very next sentence says she doesn’t think it’s necessary to tell people they shall need to stay home.

News for you - many business owners in the state take that as they don’t have to let their employees work from home because the governor gives them cover; right or wrong. I don’t think there is much difference in the various semantics, but it’s clear there are truly non essential business leaders that won’t do the right thing so long as they have cover.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I'm working at the DMU clinic. Starting tomorrow we have to get our temperatures taken before we go in the building and can only use the freight elevator.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
There's also no reason whatsoever to not cancel school for the remainder of this year as well right now.

Why even pretend that you think kids will be back in school this year? Nobody in their right mind believes that. Opening schools back up would be one of the worst things we could do this spring. We'd all but guarantee that this virus comes back with another strong peak again.

I heard tonight, second hand, that the state legislature is pushing to follow other states and just announce that there will be not more school this calendar year.
An email was sent out today by the ISEA that said that more news will be released Friday concerning the matter and whether we go back April 13th as planned.

I would guess that schools will be closed for the year, teachers will come in and finish up grades, and that will be it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm in IT for an essential business so as long as we have workers in the office I don't see a work from home option for me coming any time soon. And there are also support scenarios where someone will have to come into the office for support too. I'm much more diligent than I usually am about washing my hands, using hand sanitzer, and wiping down surfaces I touch than I usually am. I'm well aware of the risk I am taking right now but after talking to a friend whose income is based on sales commission and he is currently not getting paycheck as a non-essential worker I will take that gamble on the statistics so far because in the big picture Iowa is a drop in the bucket compared to the high density populations.

This will pass and I think we've probably been exposed to this virus even as early as last fall and didn't even know it. Eventually herd immunity will slow the spread and I think a good dose of fresh outdoor air even in a packed stadium will do us more good than fearing the virus as we are right now.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I'm in IT for an essential business so as long as we have workers in the office I don't see a work from home option for me coming any time soon. And there are also support scenarios where someone will have to come into the office for support too. I'm much more diligent than I usually am about washing my hands, using hand sanitzer, and wiping down surfaces I touch than I usually am. I'm well aware of the risk I am taking right now but after talking to a friend whose income is based on sales commission and he is currently not getting paycheck as a non-essential worker I will take that gamble on the statistics so far because in the big picture Iowa is a drop in the bucket compared to the high density populations.

This will pass and I think we've probably been exposed to this virus even as early as last fall and didn't even know it. Eventually herd immunity will slow the spread and I think a good dose of fresh outdoor air even in a packed stadium will do us more good than fearing the virus as we are right now.
No way this has been here that long

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Genomics has already quashed the theory. US cases originated from the Chinese strain.
That's good to know. I was just coming from the angle that it makes zero sense that it has been here that long. If this thing were here since the fall then our hospitals would have been overrun.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
This will pass and I think we've probably been exposed to this virus even as early as last fall and didn't even know it.

I keep seeing this theory peddled around, what's the source of it?

I'm pretty sure if this virus has been around for months before the China cases started creeping up, we'd have seen a lot more exponential growth earlier on. This theory is just not true.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Whatever bet you lost that led to this post, don't make that bet again.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I heard tonight, second hand, that the state legislature is pushing to follow other states and just announce that there will be not more school this calendar year.
An email was sent out today by the ISEA that said that more news will be released Friday concerning the matter and whether we go back April 13th as planned.

I would guess that schools will be closed for the year, teachers will come in and finish up grades, and that will be it.

Many of the schools up here are getting the petitions going to switch to Elearning. They have made sure everyone has their laptops and have been getting things going with zoom and youtube presentations. The instructors, board, and adminstrators don't want to just shut down, so they are working hard to get things set up to at least get 4-5 weeks ready and the boards are looking at adding a week or two to the school year to help out. That would make a 6-7 week E learning session.

If the petitions get approved they can go with Elearning and have the classes and grades count. Some schools have taken buses around and parked them at various spots to get hotspots for kids who say they don't have access to internet.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just because you don't believe it to be essential doesn't mean it's not essential. Car dealerships, construction projects and the like will still be open if there is an Shelter in Place.

To many people think the only "essential" workers are medical, police fire, etc. and that's now how it works.

Some car dealers have their service departments open but not their sales rooms here in Minnesota. Others have not. My Audi dealer has reduced service hours and closed down their sales room. Finishing ongoing sales but no new sales. The same dealership group put out a video on what they are doing to clean cars, thought it was interesting:

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Catching up from yesterday's conversation here.

What is the intent of a stay-at-home order?

My understanding is that it is to minimize the number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 at any given time.

If you believe the intent is anything else, please explain.

It looks like we are currently have 61 people in the hospital. What is the maximum number of hospitalizations the state can manage, and, per projections, when should we hit our limit?

To be honest, 2 weeks ago I was all for a stay-at-home order in Iowa. I wanted to get 'over' it as quickly as possible. However, the more this has dragged on in Iowa, we might be best served to let it ride out assuming:
- Hospitals aren't overrun (definitely have to look at future projections not just current state)
- Those that have died from COVID-19 probably would have anyway (IE the virus will eventually spread and those individuals were cared for in a strong medical environment)

Last edited:

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
This could be the single worst take on the coronavirus that's on this site. So much wrong packed into two sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.