Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
So I just wanted to ask some people here and throw out this info and this is strictly comparing deaths. They say that around 85% of the people that get this virus will have mild symptoms. The virus to date in the US has killed somewhere around 3000 people. I understand we to keep as many deaths from happening as possible. But if you look at deadly car car accidents and there is around 1.25 million deaths a year from this equaling around 3200 deaths a day. I'm not trying to make an arguement here, but can someone please explain to me in a rational way as to why this virus is locking down the whole country when we have such a high percentage of mild cases vs deaths.

about 38,000 per year die from car crashes. what are you talking about?

funny this exact argument recently popped up in the reddit trump supporters thread.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
So I just wanted to ask some people here and throw out this info and this is strictly comparing deaths. They say that around 85% of the people that get this virus will have mild symptoms. The virus to date in the US has killed somewhere around 3000 people. I understand we to keep as many deaths from happening as possible. But if you look at deadly car car accidents and there is around 1.25 million deaths a year from this equaling around 3200 deaths a day. I'm not trying to make an arguement here, but can someone please explain to me in a rational way as to why this virus is locking down the whole country when we have such a high percentage of mild cases vs deaths.
Car deaths do not spike in frequency and collapse our healthcare system like this virus will. If car accidents suddenly tripled in a 2 week time span and our hospitals couldn't handle all the injuries coming in, leading to deaths that would otherwise be preventable, I guarantee you the government would limit driving until they figured out what the hell was going on.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Your numbers are using world wide numbers. In the US, we have around 40,000 deaths per year from automobile accidents. Most projections show we will surpass that number in the United States when this is all said and done. This virus is also highly contagious, which automobile accidents are not contagious at all.

You also have to take into account just how many lives are saved per year because of the utility of the automobile. Law Enforcement, Ambulances, Fire Trucks, etc. Those people have to get from point A to point B extremely quickly. It's just not a fair argument to make side by side. Here's an article explaining that.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/comparing-coronavirus-car-accidents-very-bad-idea-n1167626

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

funny this exact argument recently popped up in the reddit trump supporters thread.
Those numbers are world wide. If we had a million deaths per year in the US alone, I can guarantee you we would take much more extreme measures in that industry.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

We all know where these arguments are coming from. People who get all their news and info from a certain group of talking heads.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yeah I mean a very small percentage of people. That's why this article said take these grades with a grain of salt. Us getting a D grade doesn't mean we're as terrible as the D connotation gives off, but it does show that we're not as good as a lot of other states.

I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate here, but what does "not as good as alot of other states" even mean? Just because one state did something does not necessarily mean Iowa should.

I'm not saying Governor Reynold's response has been perfect and I'm not necessarily opposed to a shelter in place. However, things like "grading states" is so stupid because every state has entirely different dynamics at play. What makes sense for New York doesn't necessarily make sense for Iowa.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Which makes total sense. They don't fall anywhere close to any grey areas. I guess what I'm saying is there are hundreds of businesses where their "essential" nature will be much less clear, even using the DHS guidelines. I can't see the State of Iowa making a case-by-case determination of who does and doesn't qualify and enforcing that.

My point is there has to be gray areas. You can't says these electricians are essential but these aren't. You can't say this business is essential but that business which provides them supplies isn't. That's my point. Someone see XYZ company as non-essential but ultimately they may be a supplier for essential company ABC. It isn't black and white.

I do agree it's dumb that Kohl's is closed because they are nonessential but JoAnn Fabrics next store is open for some reason. And don't get me started in places like Scheels and Bass Pro Shop being essential since they sell Ammo and guns.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate here, but what does "not as good as alot of other states" even mean? Just because one state did something does not necessarily mean Iowa should.

I'm not saying Governor Reynold's response has been perfect and I'm not necessarily opposed to a shelter in place. However, things like "grading states" is so stupid because every state has entirely different dynamics at play. What makes sense for New York doesn't necessarily make sense for Iowa.
100% true. I'm not comparing us to New York, rather I'm comparing our state to others that are similar to ours that have already put in a shelter in place mandate. New York's are different and should be different than most states.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Your numbers are using world wide numbers. In the US, we have around 40,000 deaths per year from automobile accidents. Most projections show we will surpass that number in the United States when this is all said and done. This virus is also highly contagious, which automobile accidents are not contagious at all.

You also have to take into account just how many lives are saved per year because of the utility of the automobile. Law Enforcement, Ambulances, Fire Trucks, etc. Those people have to get from point A to point B extremely quickly. It's just not a fair argument to make side by side. Here's an article explaining that.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/comparing-coronavirus-car-accidents-very-bad-idea-n1167626
Fair enough, I dont think it was seen as being worldwide numbers vs US.Some friends and I were just talking about how crazy it's getting. Some believed it's over hyped but I just figured I'd ask people here. Was honestly just asking a 3rd party.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My point is there has to be gray areas. You can't says these electricians are essential but these aren't. You can't say this business is essential but that business which provides them supplies isn't. That's my point. Someone see XYZ company as non-essential but ultimately they may be a supplier for essential company ABC. It isn't black and white.

I do agree it's dumb that Kohl's is closed because they are nonessential but JoAnn Fabrics next store is open for some reason. And don't get me started in places like Scheels and Bass Pro Shop being essential since they sell Ammo and guns.

I get that there has to be gray areas. My question then becomes if you're trying to create a law full of grey area, what's the point in it? I just don't see any businesses that are currently operating caving in and say "well, we aren't essential." We've basically already weeded out the no-brainers (retail, restaurants, gyms, etc.). What's left is not as clear. So if you cannot make a commitment to clearly defining, giving guidance on whether you qualify and enforcing the determinations, all you are left with are mere words.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

If you get the virus, do you know for sure if you'll just have mild symptoms the whole time, or is there risk that even a young person could end up on a ventilator and die? Yes, there is risk of that. For everybody. You could talk to one person, and die because of it, or kill them.

Car collisions are also not infectious to an average of two people and if car collisions overwhelmed the hospitals, there would be more drastic measures taken on cars.

About the only thing that cars and this virus have in common is that sheer stupidity is very much present and leading to death.

This will all feel very different if/when we're seeing more than 3200 deaths/day here over the next month, which I think is very likely.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
100% true. I'm not comparing us to New York, rather I'm comparing our state to others that are similar to ours that have already put in a shelter in place mandate. New York's are different and should be different than most states.

And I'm asking this 100% honestly because I do not know-- is there evidence that this has lead to a closure of businesses and a stop in the spread?

It just seems to me like if you are still operating an in-person operation right now it's either because you are essential, or you aren't going to cave in to shutting down your business. I don't see how a shelter in place changes either of those. The people who are non-essential but are still operating aren't just going to shut their doors-- they are going to try to find a way to stay open.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Fair enough, I dont think it was seen as being worldwide numbers vs US.Some friends and I were just talking about how crazy it's getting. Some believed it's over hyped but I just figured I'd ask people here. Was honestly just asking a 3rd party.
I'm just curious and not trying to be flip, but do you watch the news at all and see what is happening in other parts of the world like Italy and Spain? Heck, even New York now?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Right now Iowa is increasing at about a 19% rate. Given that we have 424 confirmed cases, we're probably looking at a number of 500 or a little above cases today.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I'm just curious and not trying to be flip, but do you watch the news at all and see what is happening in other parts of the world like France and Spain? Heck, even New York now?
I hear about em but quite frankly I'm tired of watching the crap. The news is such a biased industry and is fixated on giving the bad news, I choose not to watch.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I hear about em but quite frankly I'm tired of watching the crap. The news is such a biased industry and is fixated on giving the bad news, I choose not to watch.

Then you are just being ignorant.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Well that explains it then.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Can't wait until a week from now when you're back here posting, "We can't let the cure be worse than the problem!"

Status
Not open for further replies.