Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
In my mind, enforcement in the present is almost secondary to future legal liability for noncompliance. I don't think anyone has illusions these things can be adequately enforced. Whether it is a governor's plea for people to stay home or a mandated shelter in place order, it's going to rely on the goodwill and cooperation of citizens and businesses in order to work.

But there's zero question that it would force thousands more employees home. Some businesses in the gray area might decide it isn't worth the legal hassle or the hit in public relations to stay open. Parents who are still letting their kids hang out with other kids - of which there are plenty - might reconsider that stance.

But say we find out that one large company turns out to be a major source of transmission because it insisted on remaining open despite having weeks to prepare to send most of its employees home and wouldn't do so. Then a couple of their employees or family members die as a result. You think they want that kind of legal exposure?

Who knows, maybe that is Reynolds' ultimate motivation here...to give companies as much legal cover as possible.

It could be. I'm not sure there is as much liability as you suggest, though. I imagine if a company can at least vaguely fit into the definition it would be hard to sue them for continuing operations. I also imagine they'd cover their ***es by making coming to work optional. I just don't think the liability is quite as cut-and-dried as you'd think.

I'm all for doing whatever is the safest. But I also think people are disillusioned if they think calling it a "shelter in place" is going to have some great practical impact.

Reactions: Scott34

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Yes I'm sure that most of these people getting into their cars are simply driving around and interacting with literally no one. Like this article said, you should take this with a grain of salt, but it's not totally meaningless.

I do this. Sometimes just driving around for an hour is therapy.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
You're just arguing semantics though. If every single state is calling it shelter in place but it's actually not a true shelter in place, then why would the state of Iowa choose to go on the actual meaning of this phrase and issue a full lockdown? Our shelter in place would not be even close to what Italy is doing.
I may be pushing the line but I don’t think she understands that it’s a semantics argument and she is willing to call it something else.

If you or someone wants to call it something else go ahead. I just don’t think she understands that.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Good luck enforcing it is all I'm saying.

I can tell you that my restaurant clients have had County Health officials stop by to check that they were only doing carry out and delivery.

I can also tell you my Jewelry store and tattoo shops clients have all had city officials contact them to make sure they were closed.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think people hospitalized is a bigger think to track now. People keep saying the more we test the more we will find. We are testing more, and we are finding more. Still at that 6% of tests are positive. Can’t go by positive cases if we test more and that skews the numbers. Those hospitalized won’t matter on how many are tested.
Is there a source that shows hospitalizations over time? I'm going off what I remember, but using the confirmed cases and hospitalizations it seems to be we are seeing a leveling or potentially a decrease in RATE of change, which is of course the first sign we need to see.

I agree # of hospitalizations is the best number we can currently use because it is not a function of lack of broader testing. The high percentage of negative tests suggests that the rate of change in confirmed tests still has some usefulness. While I don't think the absolute number of confirmed cases is close to accurate, I do think the rate of change/trend does mean something.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Is there a source that shows hospitalizations over time? I'm going off what I remember, but using the confirmed cases and hospitalizations it seems to be we are seeing a leveling or potentially a decrease in RATE of change, which is of course the first sign we need to see.

I agree # of hospitalizations is the best number we can currently use because it is not a function of lack of broader testing. The high percentage of negative tests suggests that the rate of change in confirmed tests still has some usefulness. While I don't think the absolute number of confirmed cases is close to accurate, I do think the rate of change/trend does mean something.

I'm just going off the IDPH website, it puts me in the same boat as you basically (not knowing what source you use) as I have to remember the number from the day before. Why I will give a general range or if someone corrects me a couple I don't question it as I could have misremembered yesterdays number.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Those include an outbreak in a particular care facility, correct? As unfortunate as that is, it seems easier to contain and shut down spread from.

from the local news last night, 21 of the 71 cases in Linn County are at one care facility. It's clearly spreading in the community outside of that care center

Reactions: Al_4_State

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It could be. I'm not sure there is as much liability as you suggest, though. I imagine if a company can at least vaguely fit into the definition it would be hard to sue them for continuing operations. I also imagine they'd cover their ***es by making coming to work optional. I just don't think the liability is quite as cut-and-dried as you'd think.

I'm all for doing whatever is the safest. But I also think people are disillusioned if they think calling it a "shelter in place" is going to have some great practical impact.

The issue is there are companies requiring people to come in to the office to do things they could do from home. I could see civil cases in the future if an employee gets sick and has bills or dies after contracting the disease after being told by their employer they have to go to the office and work when they could work from home.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I do this. Sometimes just driving around for an hour is therapy.
Yeah I mean a very small percentage of people. That's why this article said take these grades with a grain of salt. Us getting a D grade doesn't mean we're as terrible as the D connotation gives off, but it does show that we're not as good as a lot of other states.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
So I just wanted to ask some people here and throw out this info and this is strictly comparing deaths. They say that around 85% of the people that get this virus will have mild symptoms. The virus to date in the US has killed somewhere around 3000 people. I understand we to keep as many deaths from happening as possible. But if you look at deadly car car accidents and there is around 1.25 million deaths a year from this equaling around 3200 deaths a day. I'm not trying to make an arguement here, but can someone please explain to me in a rational way as to why this virus is locking down the whole country when we have such a high percentage of mild cases vs deaths.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I may be pushing the line but I don’t think she understands that it’s a semantics argument and she is willing to call it something else.

If you or someone wants to call it something else go ahead. I just don’t think she understands that.
I mean I would agree. I think half of the people just want her to call it shelter in place so we're like everyone else.. I'm not arguing for that. I want her to force all non-essential businesses to work from home or have to close for the time being. My company will not work from home unless there is a mandate from her. She can call this whatever the hell she wants for all I care.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
So I just wanted to ask some people here and throw out this info and this is strictly comparing deaths. They say that around 85% of the people that get this virus will have mild symptoms. The virus to date in the US has killed somewhere around 3000 people. I understand we to keep as many deaths from happening as possible. But if you look at deadly car car accidents and there is around 1.25 million deaths a year from this equaling around 3200 deaths a day. I'm not trying to make an arguement here, but can someone please explain to me in a rational way as to why this virus is locking down the whole country when we have such a high percentage of mild cases vs deaths.

There are 145 pages of posts in this thread that answer this question ad nauseum. Review at your leisure.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I can tell you that my restaurant clients have had County Health officials stop by to check that they were only doing carry out and delivery.

I can also tell you my Jewelry store and tattoo shops clients have all had city officials contact them to make sure they were closed.

Which makes total sense. They don't fall anywhere close to any grey areas. I guess what I'm saying is there are hundreds of businesses where their "essential" nature will be much less clear, even using the DHS guidelines. I can't see the State of Iowa making a case-by-case determination of who does and doesn't qualify and enforcing that.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Because it's like if all of the car accidents happened at the same time - and caused the doctors and nurses and hospital staffs to get in car accidents too. You end up with an overwhelmed medical system that causes deaths and pain and panic outside of care for just this virus.

Oh, and it kills ~1% of the county - which is > 3 million people.

That's all

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Yes you are

Status
Not open for further replies.