Led Zeppelin

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Glad theres some prince love in here. Guy somehow was underappreciated while alive. So much damn talent.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Again, late to the party but posit this notion I've seen on another fan site:

Of the four member of the band, Jimmy Page is the least talented at his instrument.

It's crazy to think about but it's probably true!

Bonham - greatest rock drummer ever?
Plant - greatest rock singer ever?
Jones - musical polymath, plays every instrument and ALSO arguably greatest rock bassist.

It's nuts...
I think Plant is the weakest then Page. Paul rogers, Steve Perry, Steven Tyler, Jeff Buckley, Tom York, and Freddie Mercury just a few off the top of my head I like better. If it weren't for Bonham and Jones, Page couldn't keep it in time. Those two were the real talent in Zeppelin IMO.

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
Again, late to the party but posit this notion I've seen on another fan site:

Of the four member of the band, Jimmy Page is the least talented at his instrument.

It's crazy to think about but it's probably true!

Bonham - greatest rock drummer ever?
Plant - greatest rock singer ever?
Jones - musical polymath, plays every instrument and ALSO arguably greatest rock bassist.

It's nuts...

That may be true and that is pretty hard to fathom.

I thought that Page had some good tunes with Paul Rogers and the Firm and I also think that Robert Plant has had some really good solo stuff.

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
I realize a little later from a career start than most of these guitar legends, but I have always wondered what Randy Rhoads would have provided had he not died in that plane crash. Amazingly talented, and had a major influence in a relatively short time period.

This is about all you need to know about Randy Rhoads, face officially melted.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If they had a better singer than Plant I might agree.

Also, The Stones are so overrated as a band. They have hits but they aren't that talented at their instruments.

Being talented at playing instruments is overrated. Steve Vai is a phenomenal guitar player, but I’d rather **** a pencil sharpener than listen to him for an hour.

Reactions: weR138

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I dont get how you don't get into Pink FLoyd.

I don’t hate them, I just don’t get into them as much as the other classic rock greats. They don’t have as much blues or country weaved into their sound, and all my favorite rock bands have a little blues, country, or both pretty prominent in their sounds.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Being talented at playing instruments is overrated. Steve Vai is a phenomenal guitar player, but I’d rather **** a pencil sharpener than listen to him for an hour.
Haha, ya Vai is great but his composition is average. Being that I'm a musician myself I suppose it's all going to vary greatly. When I think of greatest band of all time though, I think instrument talent is pretty huge. If Pink Floyd didn't have the the worst drummer of all time, yes worse than Ringo, then I'd say they meet that perfectly. Talented with their instruments, have the hits, great composition, longevity, notoriety, etc.

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
Haha, ya Vai is great but his composition is average. Being that I'm a musician myself I suppose it's all going to vary greatly. When I think of greatest band of all time though, I think instrument talent is pretty huge. If Pink Floyd didn't have the the worst drummer of all time, yes worse than Ringo, then I'd say they meet that perfectly. Talented with their instruments, have the hits, great composition, longevity, notoriety, etc.

I think that this would disagree with your opinion of Nick Mason.

Reactions: weR138 and Macloney

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think that this would disagree with your opinion of Nick Mason.

Drums aren't even the same thing anymore. Bonham started the movement with his jazz heavy style, but every drummer can play heel toe double kick and control their time keepers these days. This guy just happens to be one of my favorites but it's not even close.

Gilmour is far more impressive on that Pompeo dvd than anyone else.

Reactions: Candide

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Here is a band that is actually getting some recognition these days but every one in this band is virtuoso and they even make jazz interesting for the lay person at times. You'll never hear their names with the greatest but they put them to shame.

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
Drums aren't even the same thing anymore. Bonham started the movement with his jazz heavy style, but every drummer can play heel toe double kick and control their time keepers these days. This guy just happens to be one of my favorites but it's not even close.

Gilmour is far more impressive on that Pompeo dvd than anyone else.

If you like Pridgen then you must love Keith Carlock? I do. He is the King of jazz drumming.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If you like Pridgen then you must love Keith Carlock? I do. He is the King of jazz drumming.
My new crush is Larnell Lewis. He is the main dude for Snarky Puppy on trap. My favorite drummer is Blake Richardson, but I'm biased because Between the Buried and Me is my favorite band. There's another I would put there as greatest of all time, but no one will ever accept a Prog Death Metal band lol.

Here's a video of Blake recording one of my favorite drum parts ever. If you can't stand the screaming skip to 4:48 for the real buttery stuff. The most insane thing is that track of guitars and vox isn't what he's listening to. He only records with a click track, from memory, no guitar scratch tracks. They have 16 minute songs! He's an alien.

Last edited:

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Saw Kieth Carlock at a Steely Dan show last August. Either a highly trained jazz drummer who has absorbed rock or a rock/pop drummer who has absorbed the complexity of jazz stylings. Unbelievable.

A locomotive pushing as talented a group of musicians as I have ever seen. A wonderful show.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Saw Kieth Carlock at a Steely Dan show last August. Either a highly trained jazz drummer who has absorbed rock or a rock/pop drummer who has absorbed the complexity of jazz stylings. Unbelievable.

A locomotive pushing as talented a group of musicians as I have ever seen. A wonderful show.

The current Steely Dan touring line up is a collaboration of some of the best musicians that money can buy, they are amazing. Like, Dead level amazing.

It is a shame that the show is so highly scripted, although the setlist is technically a little different every night, because they would be incredible to see in more of a deep cut, improvisational style. That being said, they know their audience and know what they pay pretty high dollar to come and see. A good business decision, because their shows are always packed.

Even with the lack of variation in shows, I pay my hundred bucks a ticket x 2 and go anytime they are remotely close to me (within 8 hours), because they are just that good.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The current Steely Dan touring line up is a collaboration of some of the best musicians that money can buy, they are amazing. Like, Dead level amazing.

It is a shame that the show is so highly scripted, although the setlist is technically a little different every night, because they would be incredible to see in more of a deep cut, improvisational style. That being said, they know their audience and know what they pay pretty high dollar to come and see. A good business decision, because their shows are always packed.

Even with the lack of variation in shows, I pay my hundred bucks a ticket x 2 and go anytime they are remotely close to me (within 8 hours), because they are just that good.

Is Becker still touring?

The idea of Steely Dan as a "band" kind of evades me.

It was basically a songwriting team backed by a mostly rotating cast of (albeit extremely talented) studio musicians, not really a bad in the truest sense.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Is Becker still touring?

The idea of Steely Dan as a "band" kind of evades me.

It was basically a songwriting team backed by a mostly rotating cast of (albeit extremely talented) studio musicians, not really a bad in the truest sense.
Walter Becker died on September 3, 2017.

Steely Dan went on tour following the release of their debut album, "Can't Buy a Thrill". The band toured for three years before Becker and Walter Fagan decided they hated hated their live sound.

After seeing them in Moline last summer, their live sound is spectacular.

Reactions: Macloney