Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Playing devil's advocate. If you shut down all non-essential businesses, you are likely forcing thousands more people into unemployment. It's not an easy call.
There's 2 scenarios this can go (help me if I'm wrong, this is my opinion):

1) Shelter in place is in effect. Iowa cases go down and thus all workers in effect can return to work sooner (the time difference TBD). Some of these workers have to get unemployment.

2) Things remain how they are. More cases/people die. The timeline drags on so people have to wait to return to work. The people stay employed but some get sick.

Feel free to add to the scenarios. I'd pick number 1 so everyone can return to life as normal as possible (there will be side effects, but I'd rather not drag this out anymore than it has to be. It's a lose-lose situation).

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Playing devil's advocate. If you shut down all non-essential businesses, you are likely forcing thousands more people into unemployment. It's not an easy call.
And I'm not saying it's an easy call either. It certainly isn't and I understand that. However, she's defending this decision by saying she does not believe it's the right time yet. So by saying that, my opinion would be she knows this decision is probably going to come at some point. If that's the case, don't you want to be ahead of things? Don't you want to be the leader that is proactive rather than reactive?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
White House Coronavirus Coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx said rural communities in the US need to prepare for the spread "even though you think it's not there. If you wait for that, if the metros and rural areas don't take care now, by the time you see it, it has penetrated your community pretty significantly."

It really seems like she's talking to places like Iowa here.

I read that these things hit rural communities later and shorter, but harder.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They have. Outbreak at a nursing home.
And outbreaks within nursing homes were part of her criteria, however it seems as though it doesn't matter how many outbreaks in those significant places happen.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
And I'm not saying it's an easy call either. It certainly isn't and I understand that. However, she's defending this decision by saying she does not believe it's the right time yet. So by saying that, my opinion would be she knows this decision is probably going to come at some point. If that's the case, don't you want to be ahead of things? Don't you want to be the leader that is proactive rather than reactive?
I still think she thinks places like yours have shut down except for people who can’t work from home. That’s why I think people need to let her know they can WFH and are being forced into the office.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
There's 2 scenarios this can go (help me if I'm wrong, this is my opinion):

1) Shelter in place is in effect. Iowa cases go down and thus all workers in effect can return to work sooner (the time difference TBD). Some of these workers have to get unemployment.

2) Things remain how they are. More cases/people die. The timeline drags on so people have to wait to return to work. The people stay employed but some get sick.

Feel free to add to the scenarios. I'd pick number 1 so everyone can return to life as normal as possible (there will be side effects, but I'd rather not drag this out anymore than it has to be. It's a lose-lose situation).
I'd pick number 1 if we had any idea how long the time line is. Is that a shelter in place for 3 weeks? 3 months? 12 months? Following #1 doesn't make the virus go away. So what is the time line for when we can go back to #2?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I still think she thinks places like yours have shut down except for people who can’t work from home. That’s why I think people need to let her know they can WFH and are being forced into the office.
Yeah there was a question from someone who still has to go into Wells Fargo, a place that just had an employee test positive. Uh, she said "I still strongly encourage businesses to allow their workers to work from home if you can."

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I'd pick number 1 if we had any idea how long the time line is. Is that a shelter in place for 3 weeks? 3 months? 12 months? Following #1 doesn't make the virus go away. So what is the time line for when we can go back to #2?
The question is how much the timeline shortens if Iowa went into a shelter in place last week vs. waiting until it's forced upon us? nobody has the answer for that.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
It’s not only that. Shelter in Place isn’t some magical elixir. A vaccine is probably 12 months away still. I don’t have much hope for an effective therapeutic treatment either. So how long are you willing to SIP? There will still be carriers even if none of the people who SIP contract the virus. At what point do you allow this mass number of people with no natural immunity to return to normal? The decisions being made aren’t being made in a vacuum. When you look at the graphs that show how individual measures flatten the curve, what people fail to realize is that the area under each of those curves is identical. ie they each represent the same number of people infected.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I believe every single state that graded an A is currently in a shelter in place / stay at home order. Shocking.

So you're telling me that even though we're assured by some that 'what we have is the same as other places', it in fact is not having the same effect as doing the things other states are doing?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Currently in the United States there are only 7 states that don't have a mandatory shelter-in-place directive at the city or state level. Those states are Nevada, Arizona, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Arkansas, anddd Iowa.

Nevada actually does have something really similar in place, as all non-essential businesses are closed, but apparently it's not called a shelter in place. Mayors all over Arizona are demanding their governor put in this mandate as well.

We have 3x more cases than Nebraska and 4x more cases than North and South Dakota.

We're getting a bad grade in social distancing because we're not required to do it so people aren't listening.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So you're telling me that even though we're assured by some that 'what we have is the same as other places', it in fact is not having the same effect as doing the things other states are doing?
I'm probably dropping a bomb of information on you, but that is literally exactly what I'm saying lol. Recommending and hoping people comply with requests is not working. If Governor Reynolds would've requested bars and restaurants close, I'd guarantee you there would have been little to none that would've done so. This is the exact same scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.