Purchasing an Engagement Ring

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
My mom works in a small town jewelry store. Don't be afraid to haggle a little if you spend time with the seller (over weeks, not minutes). Many times they can mark down the jewelry by up to 50% and still make profit. They are very willing to do so if the current ring isn't "in style" and they need the counter space for something more current.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Has anyone proposed without a ring? Would like to keep the element of surprise/excitement, but would want her to have her reasonable choice of ring, if/when it becomes appropriate.

She's your potential fiancé, so you know her, but I'm guessing that idea isn't going to fly.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneFan4

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Nice idea with the proposal. Another area I'm currently debating on. Her mom passed away a few years back, and I've played around with the idea of taking her to the cemetery where she's buried and pulling the ring out next to her mom's grave.

I've had people tell me this is a great idea, but am aware it could also come off as a bit dark.

She is your fiancé but that sounds like a poor idea to me.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I took a look at this thread just to get some opinions on what people spent on the ring and the wedding. I'm glad to see some of us are social!

I recently went through the process and this is what I would tell anyone who is planning to pop the questions:

1. Introduce the idea of proposing with a fake ring and then picking out a ring together. This is what I did and it worked out VERY WELL. My wife LOVES her ring and her taste was WAY different than I thought it would be. Some ladies (or gentlemen) may hate this idea, but if they like the idea, it's a fun experience together and you won't disappoint your partner.

2. Buy online. and ONLY buy online. My wife and I chose a 4 carat ring, which is gigantic... however, it was cheaper than the 1.5 carat ring that the salesperson tried to sell us at Greenberg's. The salesperson was very good and would have sold us if we came in with ANY intent to buy. You'll always get more bang for your buck online.

3. Plan the wedding for what YOU want. You don't need a big banquet hall with a DJ and crappy steak dinner and everything else. Think about what would make the day REALLY special for you... and do that.

4. Find the experts that listen to you. Whether it be the wedding planner, jeweler or who ever, find the expert who values your opinion the most. Don't let them convince you into something you don't want. Have a meeting with your future spouse about what you want before you talk to the experts so you are on the same page.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I took a look at this thread just to get some opinions on what people spent on the ring and the wedding. I'm glad to see some of us are social!

I recently went through the process and this is what I would tell anyone who is planning to pop the questions:

1. Introduce the idea of proposing with a fake ring and then picking out a ring together. This is what I did and it worked out VERY WELL. My wife LOVES her ring and her taste was WAY different than I thought it would be. Some ladies (or gentlemen) may hate this idea, but if they like the idea, it's a fun experience together and you won't disappoint your partner.

2. Buy online. and ONLY buy online. My wife and I chose a 4 carat ring, which is gigantic... however, it was cheaper than the 1.5 carat ring that the salesperson tried to sell us at Greenberg's. The salesperson was very good and would have sold us if we came in with ANY intent to buy. You'll always get more bang for your buck online.

3. Plan the wedding for what YOU want. You don't need a big banquet hall with a DJ and crappy steak dinner and everything else. Think about what would make the day REALLY special for you... and do that.

4. Find the experts that listen to you. Whether it be the wedding planner, jeweler or who ever, find the expert who values your opinion the most. Don't let them convince you into something you don't want. Have a meeting with your future spouse about what you want before you talk to the experts so you are on the same page.

This is the biggest one for me. We had a beautiful wedding and are thankful for the time and effort our families put into it, but we would have taken more control if done today. Smaller more intimate wedding with just close friends and family. More laid back, less traditional.

Reactions: aauummm

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

a four carat for less than a 1.5 carat? Were they the same cut, clarity, and color? I had always been told that jewelry stores marked stuff up 100%. That would be way more than that.

Reactions: Ryan4069

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I've only been married for 2 1/2 years and I haven't seen 1/2 the "friends" I invited to my wedding. Doing it all over again, I'd cut the list from 200 to about 100.

I'd also spend more and stay longer on the honeymoon.

Ring was expensive then, it's still expensive.. But my wife still gets compliments for it to this day. I also supported a hometown business to keep dollars in the community.

Reactions: motorcy90

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I've only been married for 2 1/2 years and I haven't seen 1/2 the "friends" I invited to my wedding. Doing it all over again, I'd cut the list from 200 to about 100.

I'd also spend more and stay longer on the honeymoon.

Ring was expensive then, it's still expensive.. But my wife still gets compliments for it to this day. I also supported a hometown business to keep dollars in the community.

We got married right out of college and so we hadn't had the time to lose touch with people the way we have now. I still chuckle about some of the people we invited. I'm not so sure my wedding wasn't the last time I saw alot of them.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

What 'on-line' sites do you recommend? Blue Nile? Any others? Can they be trusted and what about the return policy if upon delivery it doesn't meet expectations?

4-ct seems really big and expensive. Probably > $25K, but that may be Jewelry store mark up.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I don’t know whether I already posted in this thread or not, and I’m not going to search through 100 posts to find out. But what happened with my wife when we were still dating is we went ring shopping, and both the jeweler and I knew immediately when we found “the ring” - a heart-shaped diamond on a gold band. The jeweler had her take a walk, and while she was gone I bought the ring. She didn’t even suspect.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm still of the opinion that I am just not marriage material. My wife agrees.

Reactions: BCClone

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
What 'on-line' sites do you recommend? Blue Nile? Any others? Can they be trusted and what about the return policy if upon delivery it doesn't meet expectations?

4-ct seems really big and expensive. Probably > $25K, but that may be Jewelry store mark up.
Blue Nile is good. Brilliant Earth and Do Amore are good, too. Rarecarat helps you find the best diamond.

The jeweler wanted $40k for the 1.5 carat ring (granted it was a very high quality diamond) and financing was like 20%. HECK NO!!!

We found a good quality diamond and ring on Brilliant Earth and it turns heads EVERY DAY. That other thing wouldn't have.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
This is the biggest one for me. We had a beautiful wedding and are thankful for the time and effort our families put into it, but we would have taken more control if done today. Smaller more intimate wedding with just close friends and family. More laid back, less traditional.
Our wedding is still the only one I've been to that was in the morning and our reception was over at 1pm or 2pm. We had pancakes, bacon, skillets, and mimosas/screwdrivers. Older relatives were able to stay for whole reception, people could drive home after instead of needing a hotel, and we still went out to get drinks with close friends and family.

Reactions: bos and IASTATE07

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
Anyone looking for personalized service related to engagement rings, jewelry, bullion, currency or coins - PM me. I'm a broker located in Davenport.

Reactions: aauummm

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
a four carat for less than a 1.5 carat? Were they the same cut, clarity, and color? I had always been told that jewelry stores marked stuff up 100%. That would be way more than that.

Online and 4 carats? Hmm. Straight from China or with a large budget. I've been trying to get my wife to upgrade her "diamond" and she doesn't give a lick.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I'm still of the opinion that I am just not marriage material. My wife agrees.

Isn't this like most wives about year 5-10, depending on the specifics? I think there are some chemical changes that just very hard to avoid.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Online and 4 carats? Hmm. Straight from China or with a large budget. I've been trying to get my wife to upgrade her "diamond" and she doesn't give a lick.
Asked my wife once if she wanted a different one. She said she’d prefer a trip somewhere.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Isn't this like most wives about year 5-10, depending on the specifics? I think there are some chemical changes that just very hard to avoid.
You got that right. I switched to hard liquor to deal with it and I’ll be damned if I still don’t catch hell.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Budget by what you can afford, not what some jewelry industry person says you should spend.

Yes, shop at several stores and get to know what cut/clarity/color means for value.

Jewelry is usually covered under your homeowner's policy (I think if it's over a certain amount, you need to get a rider for it).
Yes home owners or renters insurance.

Reactions: Cyclonepride