Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Frankly, shelter in place isn't any more than what we've already done. I don't know why people are so hung up on the exact phrasing of what we call it.

My work has people going out and about under the guise of "we're essential" so a shelter in place might put some actual pressure on our bosses to stop doing work that can wait a month.

Reactions: HitItHard58

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
If I had a job that could be done from home and an employer that refused to allow it right now without a government order, I would be looking for a new job.
Coming from somebody who has already pretty much been laid off from this, I can say, this is not a good idea. I wish I could be driving to work every day, even in these conditions.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I’ve had a weird heavy chest feeling for several days. It’s likely just anxiety since we are living in crazy times but then you read about someone who tested positive and there is a person who tested positive with only a heavy chest feeling and you wonder.

I have anxiety and always get seasonal allergies so this is a bad time for anxiety. I take an Ativan and it seems to help

Reactions: HitItHard58

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Exactly. That's what I wish our business was doing but we still haven't and won't unless there is some sort of change. I don't mean to be a jerk, but it doesn't seem that fair that you are saying we shouldn't enforce more strict measures while you're primarily working from home. If you were driving to work every single day and in an office filled with numerous amounts of people, you'd probably feel a little bit differently.

On the opposite side, I too would probably see no need to extend measures if I were primarily working out of my own home and didn't have as much of a risk to catch the virus either.
That’s what you still haven’t fully grasped about my opinion. I absolutely want to get your idiot boss to allow you to work from home. I hope everyone who can would be working from home right now. I’m absolutely not against that.

I’ve said it is a terminology issue before and I still think that is the issue. A Shelter in Place or Stay at Home Order is much more teaching than just letting you work from home. If we do that then you can’t go for walks or visit anyone (within your isolation group). I’ve said repeatedly getting places like your company to work from home is needed. The stuff I described is not.

I live by myself. I probably still would be allowed to go into the office for the couple of things I can’t do from home but even then there are like 4 people who have been there when I’ve been in. I won’t be able to visit my parents (they are at home and haven’t left other than for the store) to have that little bit of contact with people. That little extra bit would be more damaging than helpful IMO.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I have anxiety and always get seasonal allergies so this is a bad time for anxiety. I take an Ativan and it seems to help
Yep been on a bit of a roller coaster. Back and forth between feeling pretty good and positive to hopefully and most likely just bad allergy symptoms making me think I'm going to die and have already passed corona on to my wife and kids. Good times good times.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I've actually got a job interview scheduled for Tuesday via WebEx.

Employers are still hiring.

My wife took part in an interview via online a few days ago, so her company is still hiring as well.
I still wouldn't switch until the full effects on the economy are known. Last in, first out. Anyways, good luck!

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I've assumed since the time at home or whatever was announced that the school year was over in terms of going to the building.

We have not been told that, the only thing that we have been told is hold in place and do nothing until April 13th, and then we will go from there.
Activates such as Prom, Sr. Trip and graduation were still on the schedule as of this time. That was early last week.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I don't tend to have anxiety, but if there was ever a time to have it, now would be the time.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
We have not been told that, the only thing that we have been told is hold in place and do nothing until April 13th, and then we will go from there.
Activates such as Prom, Sr. Trip and graduation were still on the schedule as of this time. That was early last week.

That's what my wife had said. She's not to do anything as not every parent/child has access to online devices to learn/do assignments ect.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

I'd expect a lot to change this week with the updated CDC recommendation to April 30th. Iowa will respond accordingly.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Yep been on a bit of a roller coaster. Back and forth between feeling pretty good and positive to hopefully and most likely just bad allergy symptoms making me think I'm going to die and have already passed corona on to my wife and kids. Good times good times.

I hear you. I went for a run last week and had really belabored breathing a couple hours after. I was convinced it was the start of Covid-19. Checked my temp like every hour for the rest of the day.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'm hoping people realize all sorts of things about their lifestyles that aren't essential...smaller houses, less extensive vacations, how easy and practical it is to cook at home, if possible, save your money for if/when something like this happens.

a friend did a poll on "what have you learned so far" and mine was "how little I went out before" lol

though I will say this has NOT made me think my house is too small. Nope nope nope.

Reactions: bawbie

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I'd expect a lot to change this week with the updated CDC recommendation to April 30th. Iowa will respond accordingly.

I would think you are right, I was really hoping to hear something today from the school, but so far nothing.

Our seniors are finished May 9th, kids last scheduled day is May 20th, so if the CDC recommendation is followed through April 30th, you really have to wonder what is the point of the seniors coming back. Maybe get a few weeks with the other kids, but that is going to be about it.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Not the best time to be job searching is it?

I wouldn't blame anyone for riding this out where they are before starting up a job search. But any employer that is showing that level of disregard for the well being of their employees is not an employer worthy of your services. Get out as soon as you can.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That’s what you still haven’t fully grasped about my opinion. I absolutely want to get your idiot boss to allow you to work from home. I hope everyone who can would be working from home right now. I’m absolutely not against that.

I’ve said it is a terminology issue before and I still think that is the issue. A Shelter in Place or Stay at Home Order is much more teaching than just letting you work from home. If we do that then you can’t go for walks or visit anyone (within your isolation group). I’ve said repeatedly getting places like your company to work from home is needed. The stuff I described is not.

I live by myself. I probably still would be allowed to go into the office for the couple of things I can’t do from home but even then there are like 4 people who have been there when I’ve been in. I won’t be able to visit my parents (they are at home and haven’t left other than for the store) to have that little bit of contact with people. That little extra bit would be more damaging than helpful IMO.
Yeah I think I'm in agreement for most of your standpoint. I would not like if Iowa would mandate not allowing people to go outside and visit their loved ones. I have no idea if we would implement a stay at home if it would be to that extent. If it would be, that'd be incredibly tough. A problem I see not only from my workplace but for others on here and those that are talking via social media, there are a lot of companies who are risking their employees health as well as their family's health by not cracking down and doing the right thing.

Like I said, the only way my company and companies like mine would do such a thing would be if there were a mandate from Reynolds.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I wouldn't blame anyone for riding this out where they are before starting up a job search. But any employer that is showing that level of disregard for the well being of their employees is not an employer worthy of your services. Get out as soon as you can.
Definitely agree with that part.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Oh, I'm aware. I'm saying that I've assumed it since then and been prepping a bit like that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron