2021 Football Targets

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
TE Max Llewellyn is now warm to IOWA STATE, Iowa, and Nebraska.. He was offered on Jan. 31st and visited Feb 1st and March 7th. Rated as the #34 TE and #717 in the class, also has KU, KSU and Northwestern offers.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
ISU High:
TE Max Llewellyn

Warm:
OT Brody Wisecarver: West Virginia
OT Pat Coogan: Notre Dame
OT Otto Hess: Illinois
RB Audric Estime: Rutgers, West Virginia
RB Mar'Keise Irving: Minnesota
TE Joe Alt: Minnesota, Northwestern
WR Armond Scott: Kentucky
SDE Ryan Keeler: Kansas State
SDE Tobechi Okoli: Oklahoma
DT Sincere Littles: USF
ILB Seth Malcolm: Nebraska
CB Shawn Gates: Michigan State
CB Riley Philip: Washinton
CB Steven Ortiz Jr.: Minnesota
CB Jordan Mukes: Oklahoma
S Aubrey Burks: Louisville
ATH Tyreek Chappell: West Virginia

Cool:
SDE Tobechi Okoli: Arkansas

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019

TE Lake McRee eliminates ISU, offer 2/20/20

I honestly wonder why we even offer kids that are such high caliber that we know we won't get? I mean I feel like it's ISU being unaware of where we fall on lists with kids who have offers from such high power schools. I'm not saying we can't beat out some of those schools OCCASIONALLY, but it is only going to happen when we find them as hidden gems then a few big schools come in late. It is never going to happen with kids who out of the shoot have a massive list of national brand schools. We are a developmental school and that is completely okay.

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
I honestly wonder why we even offer kids that are such high caliber that we know we won't get? I mean I feel like it's ISU being unaware of where we fall on lists with kids who have offers from such high power schools. I'm not saying we can't beat out some of those schools OCCASIONALLY, but it is only going to happen when we find them as hidden gems then a few big schools come in late. It is never going to happen with kids who out of the shoot have a massive list of national brand schools. We are a developmental school and that is completely okay.

Sometimes I wonder why we play OU. I mean, its like ISU is unaware that they are not supposed to win those games.

I do get what you're saying, and I might even agree with the logic to an extent - why are we utilizing resources when probability is low, right? But there are a few things that I think are worth pointing out. First, every time we, "bless" a recruit, it is brand recognition across the recruiting world and twitter. Further, it allows us to build relationships with coaches and establish pipelines. Our staff appears to be REALLY good at that, and relationships to go along with the success the program has had lately should lead to better recruits - and we have already seen that (last year we brought in what I think ended up being the highest ranked RB duo). Also, if you spend any time at all in the recruiting threads, there are some that are always disappointing with a recruit's ratings.

I hope for your sake nobody ever told you your goals will never happen, so you'd better not try.

Reactions: Cloneon and Snydes

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Sometimes I wonder why we play OU. I mean, its like ISU is unaware that they are not supposed to win those games.

I do get what you're saying, and I might even agree with the logic to an extent - why are we utilizing resources when probability is low, right? But there are a few things that I think are worth pointing out. First, every time we, "bless" a recruit, it is brand recognition across the recruiting world and twitter. Further, it allows us to build relationships with coaches and establish pipelines. Our staff appears to be REALLY good at that, and relationships to go along with the success the program has had lately should lead to better recruits - and we have already seen that (last year we brought in what I think ended up being the highest ranked RB duo). Also, if you spend any time at all in the recruiting threads, there are some that are always disappointing with a recruit's ratings.

I hope for your sake nobody ever told you your goals will never happen, so you'd better not try.
People who look at rankings alone aren't very tapped into recruiting. Obviously a 5 star kids is going to be a great recruit, but that's not to say a 2 star or 3 star kid can't be just as good or better. While you tried initially to be a smartass, my point still stands and is valid. We are wasting time and effort building relationships with kids we know we won't get. The coaches are only allowed to spend so much time a week talking to kids. So using that time on someone we won't get takes away from other kids who we are much more likely to get. I am all for building relationships with coaches and establishing pipelines. But are you REALLY naive enough to think that a five star recruit is going to pick ISU over Alabama, OU, Ohio State, etc because his coach is better friends with him? The answer is no. Yea you see it in basketball, but you RARELY see it in football.

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
People who look at rankings alone aren't very tapped into recruiting. Obviously a 5 star kids is going to be a great recruit, but that's not to say a 2 star or 3 star kid can't be just as good or better. While you tried initially to be a smartass, my point still stands and is valid. We are wasting time and effort building relationships with kids we know we won't get. The coaches are only allowed to spend so much time a week talking to kids. So using that time on someone we won't get takes away from other kids who we are much more likely to get. I am all for building relationships with coaches and establishing pipelines. But are you REALLY naive enough to think that a five star recruit is going to pick ISU over Alabama, OU, Ohio State, etc because his coach is better friends with him? The answer is no. Yea you see it in basketball, but you RARELY see it in football.

Just for kicks, I looked at who we were actually recruiting for 2021, and wanted to see who, based on your criteria, we were "wasting time and effort" on. Using 247's ratings we are "wasting time and effort" on THREE 5 star football players. THREE. The guy that you mentioned wondering, "...why we even offer kids that are such high caliber that we know we won't get?" is a middle of the road 3 Star tight end. The coaches are developing a system that does a great job of catering to dynamic TEs which might be something a recruit is looking for.

I also thought that maybe you would say that we ought not to go after 4 Stars as well, so I looked a bit into those as well. There are as follows by position and state: (OB) IL, IL, IL, NJ, Massillon OH (WR) FL, FL, GA, IL, TX (TE) IA, FL, CO, OH (OL) FL, MI, AZ, OH, MI, IL, MN, NE, IA, MO, MI (DL) IA, MO, OK, FL, OH, (LB) OH, SD, MI (DB) MO, NE, OK, FL, AZ, MI, WI, OK, MI, OH (ATH) FL, FL, IL

46 Offers, 17 in neighboring states, 6 from where the coaches are from (OH), 10 from states of recruiting emphasis and success (FL, AZ), 6 from Michigan, and the remaining 7 from 5 states. I am going to trust this staff to recruit in a way that makes sense for the program, and i think their recruiting patterns make sense.

You are also neglecting to take into consideration when the offer was extended. Our coaches do a pretty good job of evaluating talent, and we are often among the first to offer kids that later climb the rankings, and you have no idea when the coaches do or do not stop pursuing the recruit. They may in fact cut losses long before a decision is made.

Stick to Aerospace Engineering, my dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyfan21

Snydes

May 16, 2006
Ames
The staff has dramatically increased our utilization of TEs, Kolar just demonstrated you can come here and finish as one of the top TEs statistically in CFB (and should have been a Mackey Award finalist) and we will likely be losing our top players at the position. Why would we not be taking calculated shots at leveling up our talent?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Just for kicks, I looked at who we were actually recruiting for 2021, and wanted to see who, based on your criteria, we were "wasting time and effort" on. Using 247's ratings we are "wasting time and effort" on THREE 5 star football players. THREE. The guy that you mentioned wondering, "...why we even offer kids that are such high caliber that we know we won't get?" is a middle of the road 3 Star tight end. The coaches are developing a system that does a great job of catering to dynamic TEs which might be something a recruit is looking for.

I also thought that maybe you would say that we ought not to go after 4 Stars as well, so I looked a bit into those as well. There are as follows by position and state: (OB) IL, IL, IL, NJ, Massillon OH (WR) FL, FL, GA, IL, TX (TE) IA, FL, CO, OH (OL) FL, MI, AZ, OH, MI, IL, MN, NE, IA, MO, MI (DL) IA, MO, OK, FL, OH, (LB) OH, SD, MI (DB) MO, NE, OK, FL, AZ, MI, WI, OK, MI, OH (ATH) FL, FL, IL

46 Offers, 17 in neighboring states, 6 from where the coaches are from (OH), 10 from states of recruiting emphasis and success (FL, AZ), 6 from Michigan, and the remaining 7 from 5 states. I am going to trust this staff to recruit in a way that makes sense for the program, and i think their recruiting patterns make sense.

You are also neglecting to take into consideration when the offer was extended. Our coaches do a pretty good job of evaluating talent, and we are often among the first to offer kids that later climb the rankings, and you have no idea when the coaches do or do not stop pursuing the recruit. They may in fact cut losses long before a decision is made.

I appreciate the time you took to put this all together. Seriously. Good work!

However, the better response might have been simpler. There seems to be an underlying assumption to the original question that offering someone a scholarship entails a great deal of energy and effort. Well, all that it really takes to extend a scholarship offer is a stamp, a letter and an envelope.

So the better question might be, why not offer those highly recruited guys? :)

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I don’t know where the post you quoted came from. However, apparently that person never saw Joe Scates’ offer list.
Joe Scates was also an academic risk from day 1. Thats a pretty calculated risk worth taking (assuming he develops this year)

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I appreciate the time you took to put this all together. Seriously. Good work!

However, the better response might have been simpler. There seems to be an underlying assumption to the original question that offering someone a scholarship entails a great deal of energy and effort. Well, all that it really takes to extend a scholarship offer is a stamp, a letter and an envelope.

So the better question might be, why not offer those highly recruited guys? :)
Probably even less than that now, just a phone call or facetime? But my point was more that if you offer them and TRULY hope to get them, you have to use the limited amount of hours you are allowed to talk to recruits on someone who has a laundry list of big big time suitors the percentage chance of getting isn't great

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019

I never said we shouldn't go after 4 starts. Nor will I ever say that.

And I think I'll stick to whatever I want, but thanks for your concern

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Probably even less than that now, just a phone call or facetime? But my point was more that if you offer them and TRULY hope to get them, you have to use the limited amount of hours you are allowed to talk to recruits on someone who has a laundry list of big big time suitors the percentage chance of getting isn't great
I’d think that’d be kind of a Catch-22. In other words, how do you know if a kid might be worth investing that time in—if you never offer to see how he responds?

Kind of hard to get a foot in the door if you don’t knock.