Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
What is the deal with Tiger King? Never heard of it until all this stay at home stuff started and people started posting about it

It's a meth-using hillbilly who sells big cats illegally. If you're into that....

BTW, did you get through Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? I'm wondering what you thought of the last 20 minutes.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
My day is a mess. Wife volunteered to drive for meals on wheels for this week. She now had a meeting from 9-12 so I get to do it. So I figure I will wrap up an appraisal ‘this morning. Basically done, just need to proof and verify, so I go to grab my coffee and realize that the wife moved over to my computer because Zoom doesn’t work as well on her computer as mine. So I’m just kinda trying to figure out what to do now.

Wear your sexy briefs, given those old gals a cheap thrill.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
So the vixen got her @Cybirdy on yesterday. Two loaves of Amish bread (as soon as they came out of the oven, I cut a heel off and slathered it with butter YUMMO), a chocolate cake, and homemade pizza crust.

So yours truly, now known as fata$$, had homemade pizza and chocolate cake for supper. How do I rate?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
1 course for DMACC in the fall. Online all the way this time.
They have a recording studio,but you apparently sign up on a clipboard there. We'll see how that part goes.

But it's a full semester class, so no surprise of waiting until November to get paid. That's good. But it's that lower pay scale than ISU.
It looks like we're going to be able to stagger our way through "comfortably" through mid-September, so that's good.

The adapter should arrive in this next hour for the next round of testing the online process from home. That should work nicely.

The exam I put on Canvas had a box to randomize the order of answers. Clicked that, and just put the correct answer as "A" every time.
A couple students took it already, and Canvas randomized just like it was supposed to. I wondered how that would go, and how it might affect things. I also see that a couple of trap distractors caught people, so I feel both smart and bad, because these occurred on easy questions, but easy questions are opportunities to outthink yourself.*

Old-School @cowgirl836 would be proud of this post.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
1 course for DMACC in the fall. Online all the way this time.
They have a recording studio,but you apparently sign up on a clipboard there. We'll see how that part goes.

But it's a full semester class, so no surprise of waiting until November to get paid. That's good. But it's that lower pay scale than ISU.
It looks like we're going to be able to stagger our way through "comfortably" through mid-September, so that's good.

The adapter should arrive in this next hour for the next round of testing the online process from home. That should work nicely.

The exam I put on Canvas had a box to randomize the order of answers. Clicked that, and just put the correct answer as "A" every time.
A couple students took it already, and Canvas randomized just like it was supposed to. I wondered how that would go, and how it might affect things. I also see that a couple of trap distractors caught people, so I feel both smart and bad, because these occurred on easy questions, but easy questions are opportunities to outthink yourself.*

Old-School @cowgirl836 would be proud of this post.
My least favorite were the questions where i could reasonably defender like 4 of the 5 answers, but one was "most correct"

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
My least favorite were the questions where i could reasonably defender like 4 of the 5 answers, but one was "most correct"

I hate those, along with "both a and b," "both a and c," etc.
I avoided that.

The biggest trap so far had to do with Hoover's election. I noted that we elected the man considered our best and brightest to take the roaring economy/success to new heights. "Best and brightest" was the title of our slide about Hoover.

I threw Coolidge in there for another 1920s President. I thought it would be easy, but still possible to overthink. and left it in.
The other is World War Two battles, just because it's one where people get too excited. I left it very easy with a direct quote from me and noting land battles, but Guadalcanal might not get all the love it was supposed to get.
Or maybe it will. Time will tell?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
So now I'm pissed.
Stuff came in. Looks good. USB-Ethernet adapter seems just right. Ran the Ethernet cable over to the datajack, which conveniently has an open port.

Only one of the two ports there is wired. Gotta go deeper.
This is just getting stupid now.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Making a trip out of the house today because I don't think we can wait any longer. Milo the dork has been off his feed, has been puking, and has been a little unsteady on his feet. He's also losing weight. We were kind of hoping he would get better again on his own.
He has an incurable herpes infection in his lungs. No treatment, but it does mean his lungs are compromised and opportunistic bacterial infections can take hold. This has happened a couple of times over the past 6 years. I suspect that's what is going on now. Keep your fingers crossed, please?
I mean, how can you not love something THIS dorky??? 2017 Milo the dork.jpg

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
It's a meth-using hillbilly who sells big cats illegally. If you're into that....

BTW, did you get through Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? I'm wondering what you thought of the last 20 minutes.
No, I changed the channel and never looked back. I suppose at some point I could give it another shot. There isn't much else to do for the next 30 days

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I totally want one of these for my walkabouts.

CF7JASTPRII6VIKWABELMLG3KE.jpg

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Flight went really well. Check out the video!

Maybe @Entropy can shed some light but it seems like my wife's nursing program is being a little too strict and anal given the circumstances when it comes to testing. They have been told that even if the instructor hears an animal or kid scratch at a door they will be given a 0 on a test.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
There are times when I would just love to reply all to an email with "Does anybody know what they're ******* doing?"

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We're home. He's down over 2 lbs; for an 11 lb cat, that's a lot. Not dehydrated. Did a blood draw (out of his throat...EW!!!) and we should know more tomorrow. Doc didn't want to make any guesses...but said the weight loss was a huge red flag. Now I'm really worried.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA

Maybe @Entropy can shed some light but it seems like my wife's nursing program is being a little too strict and anal given the circumstances when it comes to testing. They have been told that even if the instructor hears an animal or kid scratch at a door they will be given a 0 on a test.
I disagree entirely with that approach.

I'm guessing you've got some folks teaching online for the first time, they have a very strict view on their approach, and they don't do well with change. I'm also assuming they don't trust their students.

I just had one of my students contact me today that they finally got a piece of technology to work well enough to log in and get caught up. I focused on maximum flexibility and adaptability for my courses. Education is important but I'm not going to punish students who have work/family/health obligations.

My dean has given me full power to run the course as I see fit. I'm also coordinating with an adjunct and a first year full time faculty.

Reactions: cyrevkah and wxman1

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Regarding her instructor: ******** are going to ******* regardless of the situation. Generally our society is way too tolerant of ********. "Oh, he's a real prick but knows his stuff" excuse for them is complete crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron