***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Buggs certainly isn’t turning this into an NCAA tourney team but he would fill a need...also people expecting this to be bringing him in with Turner/Aiken/Perry/Ellis is not happening you get 1 more decent immediate transfer after this, guys don’t grad transfer to come off the bench

Reactions: Doc

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think we can throw the "other good schools want him" argument out the door. There are so many scholarships to fill now I don't think I've seen hardly any transfers who haven't had multiple P5 schools after them.

Nixon didn't have any P5 schools after him IIRC. If a school like Gonzaga wants you that's pretty telling IMO

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Buggs certainly isn’t turning this into an NCAA tourney team but he would fill a need...also people expecting this to be bringing him in with Turner/Aiken/Perry/Ellis is not happening you get 1 more decent immediate transfer after this, guys don’t grad transfer to come off the bench

2 grad transfers seem like the max. Ideal world you get:

Either Aiken or Turner
1 of the following: Barry/Buggs/Perry
Ellis

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I dont think any of those guys would be worried about a guy like Buggs taking their points or mins. It would also help if a few of those guys (Barry, and Ellis) committed before Buggs. Because Buggs would come regardless of who else is coming.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM

Either Aiken or Turner
Ellis
This would be more than ideal but i had heard you could add Ellis to the 1 of the following as in doesn’t want to be brought in with a bunch of transfers

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Nixon didn't have any P5 schools after him IIRC. If a school like Gonzaga wants you that's pretty telling IMO

I'm more talking about immediately eligible. I'd agree the competition isn't near as stiff for sit one, play one guys, but I can't imagine we are in the market for many of those.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'm more talking about immediately eligible. I'd agree the competition isn't near as stiff for sit one, play one guys, but I can't imagine we are in the market for many of those.

I mean there are a ton of immediately eligible transfers that aren't getting looked at by good programs

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Either Aiken or Turner
Ellis

Keeping one open could be advantageous this year more than others. With limited contact this period more poor fits are likely and a difference maker might be available to a team that banked a scholarship.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I mean there are a ton of immediately eligible transfers that aren't getting looked at by good programs

But the fact other P5 schools have expressed interest isn't to me, in and of itself, a sign someone will be super impactful.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
But the fact other P5 schools have expressed interest isn't to me, in and of itself, a sign someone will be super impactful.

Good programs reach for grad transfers all the time because they are trying to fill a particular need for next year's roster that is likely not available by adding a freshman at this point. There a only a few good grad transfers each year. Most are not that good. Someone just put an article on here not that long ago about grad transfers that transferred up from a lower level of school and how they didn't fare well.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Good programs reach for grad transfers all the time because they are trying to fill a particular need for next year's roster that is likely not available by adding a freshman at this point. There a only a few good grad transfers each year. Most are not that good. Someone just put an article on here not that long ago about grad transfers that transferred up from a lower level of school and how they didn't fare well.

It's an extremely low risk proposition. Bring in a guy to fill a role and if it doesn't work out you've only used a year's worth of scholarship. It's late enough in the game you aren't going to fill many needs through the high school route so just about every program is willing to take what's available as a short term fix.