Recruiting updates?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Barry would be an awesome compliment to our green freshman PG's in the 2020 class. Let them get in the weight room and slowly get into the Big12 style of play.

I'd love a couple red shirts but Prohm doesn't seem to know what that concept is

Red shirts have become pretty rare, kids are saving it for a possible transfer.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Tons of teams still use the red shirt. Ever heard of Mark Vital? Mitch Lightfoot?

The red shirt success stories have become fewer and farther between though and they are usually kids who appeared to be recruiting reaches but ended up relatively over achieving.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Tons of teams still use the red shirt. Ever heard of Mark Vital? Mitch Lightfoot?
If Prohm can land 2-3 guys that are ready to play right away, I'm hopeful one of the freshman will redshirt. If I had to guess who, it'd be Walker.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
If Prohm can land 2-3 guys that are ready to play right away, I'm hopeful one of the freshman will redshirt. If I had to guess who, it'd be Walker.
With the amount of uncertainty in the program right now, getting a kid to red shirt is going to be a really tough sell.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
With the amount of uncertainty in the program right now, getting a kid to red shirt is going to be a really tough sell.
Absolutely. Right now where we're currently sitting, it's tough to see someone redshirting. We need bodies. I think the only way we'd redshirt someone would be if Prohm ends up grabbing 2-3 guys that can play significant minutes. If that does happen and we have a full roster, I can see someone redshirting. If we can't, not likely at all.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
heard UNI has a good chance at Carton.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
have we been connected to Buggs yet? Obviously the link with his dad is there but I haven’t seen anything actually connecting ISU to him yet

His family is full of ISU fans FWIW, I sit near a couple of them in Hilton.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
The red shirt success stories have become fewer and farther between though and they are usually kids who appeared to be recruiting reaches but ended up relatively over achieving.

UNI, under both McDermott and now Jacobson, used to do it a lot, and probably still does it more than most other schools, at least regionally, but even now it's done less and less up there. Cole Henry redshirted this past season, and I think even that was mostly due to allow him to fully recover from an injury.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I'm guessing we're sitting decent with Barry, Perry, Ellis, Aiken and Buggs. Just a guess

Barry has ISU listed in his final four. We are one of 6 or 7 teams listed of interest for Turner, A. Griffin, and Eaddy.
Have the other four that you mentioned communicated any type of 'short' list?

Anything regarding Prohm getting in on the Carton sweepstakes?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Barry has ISU listed in his final four. We are one of 6 or 7 teams listed of interest for Turner, A. Griffin, and Eaddy.

No other short list for the other guys just my guess. I also guess Carton is a long shot

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011

Eaddy is going to USC, and it has been Stated on here Iowa State is Buggs dream school so there's that.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Vital's redshirt was either academic or injury I believe, because he was a top 50 national recruit. Lightfoot is just laughable. He's not good.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
With no visits, it's probably tougher reading the tea leaves this year as far as spring recruiting.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
That would be great and would make that team very formidable. Do you have any inside information or just a gut feeling (no trolling please)

At UNI I would doubt with Green there that either him or Carton is interested in giving up minutes or playing without the ball in their hands.

daniel22

Mar 4, 2011
At UNI I would doubt with Green there that either him or Carton is interested in giving up minutes or playing without the ball in their hands.

I thought he wanted to play point guard and after watching Green this season I don’t think that’s really his position. He is ball dominant, but a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio isn’t ideal. Having him play off the bell at times would help and think they both can fluctuate at point if needed and with Born could get some minutes on the ball as well. UNI sometimes looks stagnant on offense without a true point