Darlinstone Dubar

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Dubar is definitely the most physically ready for the Big 12 day one. Foster and Walker both need some weight room work but could get there by November.
I think you're also forgetting Blackwell. Dudley is a man and might be the most athletic guy on the team the moment he steps on campus.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
Prohm needs to get these guys to play man-to-man before we teach them any zone. Sure, we'll have some zone schemes being practiced and likely thrown into games from time to time, but if our guys are going to be good defensively next year, and in the future, man-to-man defense is a must.

While I 100% agree with your strategy (everyone on the team needs to play man defense), I disagree with your execution.

Most elite coaches don't do things serially. You have to teach in parallel as most concepts and skills take time to develop.

Now, if you would have said that Coach Prohm needs to prioritize man defense over zone defense (e.g., spend significantly more time coaching man over zone), I'd say you were spot on.

Again, it's worth experimenting, not completely changing defensive schemes.

Now, similar to what Scott Drew did this year (but in the reverse direction), you may change your defense scheme if, because of the talent you have on a particular year's roster, the experiment shows a scheme change is worth it.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I have to disagree with you here. When we started switching ball screens towards the end of the year, I think Solo did a great job of guarding wings. He has really active hands, caused a couple turnovers, and rarely got beat the basket. Got beat on step backs is about it.

I just think we have a different definition of guarding a wing.

I agree toward the end of the year Solo did a great job switching in ball screen action. Switching onto a wing in that ball screen coverage is a lot different then lining up and guarding a wing type player full time. His role in the ball screen was to basically be a big disruptor and he did a great job. (Side note I thought this was a good adjustment, probably too late in the season, but a good adjustment. If we can add "scram" switching after the ball screen action to eliminate the mismatch I think we can be effective in this way)

I think the post that started this discussion was implying that Foster/Young would be in the 5 position and playing this role and therefore Solo would have to line up and guard a 4. There are a lot of 4s in the Big 12 Solo is going to have a hard time defending.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Prohm needs to get these guys to play man-to-man before we teach them any zone. Sure, we'll have some zone schemes being practiced and likely thrown into games from time to time, but if our guys are going to be good defensively next year, and in the future, man-to-man defense is a must.

While I'm generally a man defense proponent I think this point of view is a little archaic. There are plenty of coaches that have had success playing primarily zone defense. Also when you start switching everything and then rotating out of that on defense the lines between man and zone start to blur a little.

I think the point of the original zone post was that you can adjust to personnel. We have the potential to put line ups on the floor that have tremendous length and there are zone options with that length that can be very effective (see Baylor up until this season). If working in some zone allows advantages with some lineups then work it in. Basically play to your personnel. See what Nick Nurse has been doing at Toronto as an example.

These are D1 athletes that have been playing basketball a long time, it shouldn't have to be an exclusive one or the other.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
While I'm generally a man defense proponent I think this point of view is a little archaic. There are plenty of coaches that have had success playing primarily zone defense. Also when you start switching everything and then rotating out of that on defense the lines between man and zone start to blur a little.

I think the point of the original zone post was that you can adjust to personnel. We have the potential to put line ups on the floor that have tremendous length and there are zone options with that length that can be very effective (see Baylor up until this season). If working in some zone allows advantages with some lineups then work it in. Basically play to your personnel. See what Nick Nurse has been doing at Toronto as an example.

These are D1 athletes that have been playing basketball a long time, it shouldn't have to be an exclusive one or the other.
I'm not saying we shouldn't implement a zone. We definitely should and ultimately will. I have always liked zone defenses, but I don't like it when teams fall in love with them. It can be a great tool but you get absolutely torched if the opposing team shoots it well. Baylor's best defensive year was this year and coincidentally enough, it was a year in which they played predominantly man-to-man.

I want our guys to be great man-to-man defenders because that means they're even better in a zone and know what to do when things break down. When the going gets tough, you have to be able to guard your man, one on one.

Reactions: Halincandenza

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I think you're also forgetting Blackwell. Dudley is a man and might be the most athletic guy on the team the moment he steps on campus.

I'll take that football recruit who keeps dunking on everyone. Maybe he and Dudley should run the American Gladiators course.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Kinda like Haliburton's tape too huh?

A lot of his passes seem late and would be risky at the next level. If he's Haliburton 2.0 we are sitting pretty, but I still want to see a quality transfer he'd have to unseed.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'll take that football recruit who keeps dunking on everyone. Maybe he and Dudley should run the American Gladiators course.
I miss that show lol. And yes, those two are incredibly gifted athletically. Tampa could be an immediate impact guy in some capacity next year for the football team.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If we are relying on Young to guard wings we are in a lot of trouble. He made great strides toward the end of the season in guarding in the pick and roll imo, but he doesn't have the foot speed to guard a wing. Foster will need some time to develop there as well, but he's probably already ahead of Young in that regard just due to athleticism.

Relying isn't the word I'd use. Young knows better than any of us where he's at and where he needs to be. Seniors tend to find a way to dig deep and make those adjustments. However, against the right lineups stretches with Foster as a rim protector and Young chasing a less athletic 4 could work.. again in stretches.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I miss that show lol. And yes, those two are incredibly gifted athletically. Tampa could be an immediate impact guy in some capacity next year for the football team.

If you have Pluto TV (free download on Roku) they have a channel dedicated to just playing American Gladiators. Thanks Quarantine for that find!

Reactions: Statefan10

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's always tough to tell with basketball highlights how good a player will be. It's a little easier with football because you can judge the play speed, first step quickness, route running, pass accuracy and arm strength. But with basketball, a lot of the times, it's a dude draining a bunch of threes in different games or a 7' center blocking a 5'10" opponents shot.

I rewatched Haliburton's tape last summer and it was obvious how his team won state over the top tier Milwaukee schools. He was an ELITE distributor and his tape showed that. Walker's mostly shows him getting buckets and making a few defensive hustle plays. However, a promising thing about that tape is it's only a few games and he is making A LOT of plays, and his team was usually winning (A good sign for a PG prospect).

Like I needed for Dubar, I'll need a full game worth of tape to judge. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Dubar's tape, he was the best on the court by a wide margin each game I saw. We have a good class coming in. Don't ruin it Steve.

What stood out to me was his efficiency. Along with the top notch passing, his stat line was usually something like 6-9 FG, 2-4 from 3, 8-8 FT

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
For those who think we need to implement more zone I have one question:

Do you think that will fix the rebounding issues?

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
For those who think we need to implement more zone I have one question:

Do you think that will fix the rebounding issues?
By having 2 seven footers on the floor at the same time? Nah it is going to get worse.