Marty Tirrell arrested on fraud charges

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Maximum sentence of 20 years for the 1 charge that stuck. What kind of sentence is he realistically looking at? Were prosecutors that desperate for a conviction to drop the other 9?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Mail fraud?

I suspect that most of his victims didn't want to go public in a trial that shows their bad judgment in trusting him.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Maximum sentence of 20 years for the 1 charge that stuck. What kind of sentence is he realistically looking at? Were prosecutors that desperate for a conviction to drop the other 9?

I googled and found a guy in Coralville that set up a fake charity. He got 30 months for 11 counts of mail fraud. Not sure how much restitution Marty will end up having to pay.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Not desperate. That seems common in these types of cases to get a guilty plea. I'll go with 18 months and a big fine.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Marty did have Bob Ryan on to talk all things Boston. I mean that goes over really well in central Iowa.

I would do local Iowa radio if I was getting an extra $3,000 per month too. The link above in Cyched’s article mentions Bob Ryan, who (shocking) Marty still owes over $30,000.

This guy swindled everyone he met out of millions of dollars and yet could go to jail for less than a year...what a great system we have.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I would do local Iowa radio if I was getting an extra $3,000 per month too. The link above in Cyched’s article mentions Bob Ryan, who (shocking) Marty still owes over $30,000.

This guy swindled everyone he met out of millions of dollars and yet could go to jail for less than a year...what a great system we have.
Is that how much he would normally get paid for appearances? I know he's a highly respected sports journalist and all but how can he be worth that much, especially in central Iowa? I kinda knew who he was because I had seen him on Around the Horn but most people who aren't really in to sports on a national scene are not going to know who he is. He is just another east coast sports guy.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Those people sure aren't going to get any money with him sitting in a cell, and we're paying for it. IMO there are a lot better ways of dealing with non-violent criminals.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

also, there were many that didn't press charges as they would have to come public and feel shame. So not all of his actions were put into this sentence/circustance.

Reactions: cycloneworld

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron