Xavier Foster Committed To Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
JVB.

I’ll take a good shooting center that can also block some shots on every roster.
My favorite jvb moment was him taking off from the free throw line for a dunk and he tbagged a defender.

CF_Cyclone

Mar 31, 2006
Cedar Falls, IA
You are absolutely right. That Kelvin Cato or some such 20 yrs ago would have set the school block record if he wasn't a JC player and he may have played longer in the NBA if he was 7 instead of 6'11.

There have been 8 seven foot plus players since 1970, with Justin Hamilton (2008-12) having the best stats at 7.9 ppg and 5.2 reb/gm. In comparison Cato was a stud averaging 9.1 ppg, 7.9 rebounds and a total of 189 block shots. I would prefer a player that is 6-10 or 6-11 that is good like Cato, or one of the many others, than a taller less athletic player. That being said I like the prospects of having Foster, because he appears to be tall and athletic, and I hope he lives up to the hype.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
You are absolutely right. That Kelvin Cato or some such 20 yrs ago would have set the school block record if he wasn't a JC player and he may have played longer in the NBA if he was 7 instead of 6'11.

Great Point

Edit just to clarify after IASTATE07 rated it dumb- this post was dripping in sarcasm. It was the epitome of Hyperbole. In this thread that translates to the Epi Tome of Hyper Bowl
He and Willoughby both transferred in from 4 year schools. Floyd remembered playing against Cato when he was coaching at New Orleans and that's how that came about. He only actually played a 1 1/2 season at ISU because he had to sit out first semester of his JR. year. Bankhead, Pratt, and the Walton brothers were the JUCO guys in that class. Floyd probably only offered Shelby to get Carlo who only played 1 semester anyway. Jason Justus was a JUCO in that class too I believe.

Last edited:

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
He and Willoughby were both transferred in from 4 year schools. Floyd remembered playing against Cato when he was coaching at New Orleans and that's how that came about. He only actually played a 1 1/2 season at ISU because he had to sit out first semester of his JR. year. Bankhead, Pratt, and the Walton brothers were the JUCO guys in that class. Floyd probably only offered Shelby to get Carlo who only played 1 semester anyway. Jason Justus was a JUCO in that class too I believe.

carlo Walton was the big catch. Floyd had a ton of scholarships, so he recruited his brother to get him.

then Carlo was ineligible after the first semester. Come on down Jacy Holloway

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
He and Willoughby were both transferred in from 4 year schools. Floyd remembered playing against Cato when he was coaching at New Orleans and that's how that came about. He only actually played a 1 1/2 season at ISU because he had to sit out first semester of his JR. year. Bankhead, Pratt, and the Walton brothers were the JUCO guys in that class. Floyd probably only offered Shelby to get Carlo who only played 1 semester anyway. Jason Justus was a JUCO in that class too I believe.
Willoughby was a Hills guy.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
carlo Walton was the big catch. Floyd had a ton of scholarships, so he recruited his brother to get him.

then Carlo was ineligible after the first semester. Come on down Jacy Holloway

Jacy, while never flashy, is still one of my favorite Cyclones. The season after Hoiberg graduated is still one of my favs of all time due to the fact of how those "newcomers" all jelled together and improved immensely from the start to the end of the season. It was such an amazing blend of great coaching and players "buying into" the system & executing. Their style was far from the JO "run & gun," but it proved to be entertaining because that team overachieved all expectations that people (fans and pundits alike) had placed on them.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
He played for Floyd at UNO. He might have taken a few classes at I.H. when he transferred up here but he never played there.

he went to IH to get eligible

He took classes at Indian
Jacy, while never flashy, is still one of my favorite Cyclones. The season after Hoiberg graduated is still one of my favs of all time due to the fact of how those "newcomers" all jelled together and improved immensely from the start to the end of the season. It was such an amazing blend of great coaching and players "buying into" the system & executing. Their style was far from the JO "run & gun," but it proved to be entertaining because that team overachieved all expectations that people (fans and pundits alike) had placed on them.

Floyd always said they tried to recruit over Jacy all 4 years he was there, and they never could beat him out.

those teams were the ones that floyd made the comment about how Iowa State fans educated themselves to learn how to cheer for their team

Reactions: kentkel and Hayes30

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Busting Brackets named XF as an top 5 underrated commitment
"That leaves an opening for Xavier Foster to come in and make a solid impact right away. He won’t help Iowa State’s defensive struggles on the perimeter, but he will be a reliable rim protector.
Yet the biggest way Foster projects to help the Cyclones is on the offensive end. The seven-footer has real touch and a reliable three-point jumper, which is needed considering how terrible Iowa State was from deep last season. The threat of his shot will also help ISU’s spacing, allowing Prohm to play two bigs more effectively. Given his solid passing abilities as well, Foster could be dangerous in pick-and-roll or pick-and-pop situations."
https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/04...t-underrated-commitments-in-2020-class/amp/6/

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
Busting Brackets named XF as an top 5 underrated commitment
"That leaves an opening for Xavier Foster to come in and make a solid impact right away. He won’t help Iowa State’s defensive struggles on the perimeter, but he will be a reliable rim protector.
Yet the biggest way Foster projects to help the Cyclones is on the offensive end. The seven-footer has real touch and a reliable three-point jumper, which is needed considering how terrible Iowa State was from deep last season. The threat of his shot will also help ISU’s spacing, allowing Prohm to play two bigs more effectively. Given his solid passing abilities as well, Foster could be dangerous in pick-and-roll or pick-and-pop situations."
https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/04...t-underrated-commitments-in-2020-class/amp/6/
Can't wait to see what he can do with talent around him. Watching his hs team this year was brutal.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Can't wait to see what he can do with talent around him. Watching his hs team this year was brutal.

The one silver lining if ISU doesn't land an impact transfer late in the process will be seeing the young athletic team develop together. May not equal wins but could be fun seeing all the new players start their Hilton run. The hope is they can be competitive late in the season once the adjust to the higher level.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
The one silver lining if ISU doesn't land an impact transfer late in the process will be seeing the young athletic team develop together. May not equal wins but could be fun seeing all the new players start their Hilton run. The hope is they can be competitive late in the season once the adjust to the higher level.
Totally agree. If we don't get the transfers we want, I think what we need to see next year is hope for the future. It will be a school of hard knocks, but we also have some guys who gained some valuable experience this year. 2 years from now should be fun.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Well let's hope watching the young guys is fun and not just painful.

Reactions: WhoISthis

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I always look forward to seeing the new players. It is fun to see their personalities develop over their time on campus. We have had some great ones.