Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Am I the only one who really doesn't give two ***** about confirmed cases? The daily panic surrounding this number is baffling to me because it's so directly tied to testing. It's not based on some comprehensive survey of the population. We don't know, and may never know, the real number of infections, including those who were infected and recovered with little awareness. Is it reasonable to believe that a highly contagious virus in a connected society hasn't infected thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, in a state of 3.2 million?

I'm much more interested in the number of hospitalizations and deaths. Those are real numbers, as is the total population. So, in a state of 3.2 million, we have 3 dead (0.0001%) and 32 hospitalized (0.001%). Forgive my lack of panic over "confirmed cases."

In addition, I watch the number of new patients in hospitals. In the end, IMO, if we are trying to protect hospitals from being overrun, that is the number (growth) to watch.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Had anyone seen a daily new and active hospitalizations figure for Iowa reported consistently anywhere? I've only seen this reported sporadically in various media reports.

I wonder if it's kinda hard to track...like maybe someone's only there for 2 days and then told to quarantine at home if they improved.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Had anyone seen a daily new and active hospitalizations figure for Iowa reported consistently anywhere? I've only seen this reported sporadically in various media reports.

Kinda have to remember the day before number off the Iowa site. It was either 32 or 36 yesterday.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Not a big difference, but 63.

EDIT: Bigger number is 46 hospitalized. Running about 20% of the positive tests are being hospitalized at some point.
Isn't Iowa only testing people showing more serious signs of this? I think that's why the hospital rate seems high

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

EDIT: Bigger number is 46 hospitalized. Running about 20% of the positive tests are being hospitalized at some point.

As another posted stated, this is mostly due to the test methodology used so far.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Which means we aren't testing enough which means we should not open things up.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Isn't Iowa only testing people showing more serious signs of this? I think that's why the hospital rate seems high

To my knowledge. I agree the percentage is irrelevant. The daily increases mean more. IIRC yesterday was 32/36 hospitalized so that would mean 14/10 more than yesterday.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Which means we aren't testing enough which means we should not open things up.

So.......you think if we test more, we will have more hospitalized? I disagree with that. I believe the hospitilization (if thats a word) is more important than number of positive tests.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
So.......you think if we test more, we will have more hospitalized? I disagree with that. I believe the hospitilization (if thats a word) is more important than number of positive tests.

No. I'm saying if we tested more we would know who had it and where the hot spots were.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

More positive tests will be useful if we're ever able to know how immune people are after imo. I'm not sure how they can even track that though.

The word of people testing positive twice is bad, but we also don't know then how bad their symptoms were the second time around, how contagious they are, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.