Darlinstone Dubar

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
If anybody ever watched the games... Lol. If Nick Weiler-Babb was getting beat more than most, it's because he always had the toughest assignment, and played fatigue inducing minutes since he was the only true point guard who wasn't a twiggy true freshman... Wigginton was not point guard in reality, and point guard is a huge load to shoulder on a true freshman, even one like Haliburton. Wigginton was not good enough to force someone other than NWB to run the offense. I wish we had a ready fill-in NWB, because his body really needed it.

Edit: pardon me, he shared the toughest assignments with Shayok. Point still stands.
Jermaine Haley, who averaged 7 points per game went off for almost 30 against NWB. Nick was the king of closing out on shooters with his hands down. I liked NWB but to say he was more deserving of minutes than Wigginton is crazy. Also to think Haliburton couldn’t have been effective last year at PG is insane. You don’t go from incapable of running point to a lottery pick a year later. The ability was there we just didn’t use him in that role because Prohm wanted it to be NWB. I always admired NWB for playing injured but he always seemingly slowed it down on offense. Last years team would have been better if Tyrese was running the show and getting Shayok, Wigginton and THT the ball. That being said, who cares? That’s in the past. No point in arguing about it lol.

Reactions: Snydes and cayin

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Weiler-Babb- easily. Never thought he was starter quality or deserved 35+ minutes per game. Wigginton always got roasted for his defense but if anybody ever watched the games, they’d know NWB’s guy never struggled to score. Haliburton-Wigginton-Shayok-THT should have started. We also weren’t undefeated when he came back. We had lost to Arizona and Iowa at that point.

I can’t imagine how bad our rebounding and defense would have been without Babb playing big minutes.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It depends on Prohm he doesn't like to start his best players! Wigginton should have started once he was healthy and never did! WHY? More than meets the eye, I think it had something to do with THT not sure if he promised that he would start from day one in order for him to come to ISU? Wigginton also got hurt and was the odd man out!

Who should Wigs have started in place of last year?

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Lol what? Who should Wigginton started over? Haliburton who’s a lottery pick? Shayok who’s in the NBA? THT who was drafted after his rookie year? Wigginton entered the season as a starter and got hurt. He didn’t win the job back because we were undefeated when he came back.

so what if THT was drafted, he played like absolute dog sh%t for 3 out of every 4 games. When he was on, he was on, but you never knew when that was going to happen. Therefore Wigs should have started. THT was drafted on potential, not how he was actually playing. Heck he was freakin the worst player on the floor against Ohio State, he knew too, look at his post game video, he knew he stunk up the place. He shouldn't have even been out there.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Jermaine Haley, who averaged 7 points per game went off for almost 30 against NWB. Nick was the king of closing out on shooters with his hands down. I liked NWB but to say he was more deserving of minutes than Wigginton is crazy. Also to think Haliburton couldn’t have been effective last year at PG is insane. You don’t go from incapable of running point to a lottery pick a year later. The ability was there we just didn’t use him in that role because Prohm wanted it to be NWB. I always admired NWB for playing injured but he always seemingly slowed it down on offense. Last years team would have been better if Tyrese was running the show and getting Shayok, Wigginton and THT the ball. That being said, who cares? That’s in the past. No point in arguing about it lol.

and slowing down the offense like NWB did, played right into Ohio State's hands, loved NWB, just thought we used him wrong.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Tyrese spent his whole summer working on getting his shot off when he wasn't with Team USA. He was much better as a secondary creator off the catch his freshman year. He shot off the dribble twice the whole season, and was thin as a hell. Two big reasons he didn't come out last year. Not ideal as primary ball-handler in a pnr offense. There are a lot of fair questions for Prohm, but the man does point guards as good as anyone, I think he made the right call.

In fairness to Babb, Haley was scoring on everybody the second half the year, just look at his game log.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snydes and Doc

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Who should Wigs have started in place of last year?

Wigginton played more minutes than THT in games that mattered down the stretch; I think that is telling on who should have been starting.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
It’s more about who’s playing at the end rather than at the beginning. Hell James Harden came off the bench when he was at OKC. Dion Waiters came off the bench at Syracuse and was a lottery pick. Some players can accept their role that’s in the best interest of the team, some can’t.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
No one complained about McGee coming off the bench and playing starter minutes.

Mc3 averaged the same amount of minutes as Niang and was coming off the bench!!!!!
See what happens when you mismanaged starters? You lose to Ohio State in the NCAA tournament!

Reactions: CyTwins

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I’d call Xavier a stretch 5. Doubt he can do the things defensively he needs to do at any position other than 5. At least not for a few years.

In man-to-man Foster might be a defensive liability against many teams that go with a wing 4.

But if Foster is ready to start because of his offense skills, then Prohm may need to experiment with a zone. Having to shoot over a 7' wing is a bit of a challenge for a 6'4"ish shooter.

Reactions: Doc

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
In man-to-man Foster might be a defensive liability against many teams that go with a wing 4.

But if Foster is ready to start because of his offense skills, then Prohm may need to experiment with a zone. Having to shoot over a 7' wing is a bit of a challenge for a 6'4"ish shooter.

At 6'8 Young needs to continue to develop as a wing defender to ensure future livelihood. That said pairing Young with Foster and Conditt with the small ball 4s should allow us to distribute minutes and play man.

By pairing Young with Foster it allows Foster to defend as a 5 but maintain the freedom of a 4 on O.

Reactions: Cyclonepride