Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
How are these people getting tests? Walking right into the ER? I know 2 people showing symptoms, in areas where cases were confirmed, and they were both told to stay home and self-quarantine and that a test wasn't necessary.
They are probably healthcare workers, high risk individuals, and contact tracing.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Yeah I have been going on walks almost everyday and will start going on bike rides now that it is warm out. Getting outside and getting some exercise is good for mental and physical health. Just don't group up. There is plenty of space.

Exactly. People are welcome to come fish at my pond, easily enough room to enjoy fishing while still maintaining proper distancing.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
How are these people getting tests? Walking right into the ER? I know 2 people showing symptoms, in areas where cases were confirmed, and they were both told to stay home and self-quarantine and that a test wasn't necessary.

Called the hospital and listed the symptoms. They had enough of the symptoms that the hospital wanted to test them, I believe. They aren't hospitalized and probably won't be (individual is 22-25ish) and they live in a county that currently has no positive cases, so I think they (the hospital) wants to know if it's here as much as anything.

I'm speculating on that last part.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've been going for walks, stopping in friends' yards, and chatting from a distance.

It's completely safe, and also doesn't feel that different than normal life. 10' away from someone isn't a hard distance to maintain a conversation.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Stay home? Officials are actively encouraging people to get outside, go on walks, hike, etc. but just maintain the 6' spacing.

these people weren’t maintaining social distancing. But, yes, get outside but don’t plan a pick up basketball game with 20 people.

Reactions: khardbored

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Called the hospital and listed the symptoms. They had enough of the symptoms that the hospital wanted to test them, I believe. They aren't hospitalized and probably won't be (individual is 22-25ish) and they live in a county that currently has no positive cases, so I think they (the hospital) wants to know if it's here as much as anything.

I'm speculating on that last part.
Wow. 1 of the people told to stay home was my family member. and I was very upset when they told him he wouldn't need a test. He had all the symptoms including chest tightness. He is 25, but still, I was irrate when they wouldn't look at him. Half the NBA hollywood has been tested and you got a kid in Iowa showing symptoms and they cant spare 1.

He has since been feeling better but still, it was not an easy few days. And still a touchy subject for me.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The part that struck me as funny was her saying to stop going to parks. Or she would close the parks. LOL.

The mayor in our small town supposedly closed the parks. I’m not sure how he did that or if it’s even something that’s possible but supposedly he did that

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Wow. 1 of the people told to stay home was my family member. and I was very upset when they told him he wouldn't need a test. He had all the symptoms including chest tightness. He is 25, but still, I was irrate when they wouldn't look at him. Half the NBA hollywood has been tested and you got a kid in Iowa showing symptoms and they cant spare 1.

He has since been feeling better but still, it was not an easy few days. And still a touchy subject for me.

How long ago? The person I know got tested yesterday. They would not have tested him on Tuesday.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I think Part of the issue is that there’s not much they can do for you whether you have it or not as a mild case. That is why they tell you just go home and quarantine yourself and see if it either plays out it’s better or worse

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
How long ago? The person I know got tested yesterday. They would not have tested him on Tuesday.

Last Wednesday. Obviously the mood has changed and more tests came available.

As far as finding out positive vs. negative that ship has sailed I'm sure.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I saw something yesterday that the mayor of Chicago banned people from taking long bike rides and walks and says that they would get arrested if they don't comply. This is so dumb. If people can't even go outside everyone will go crazy. Mental health issues due to this are no good either.
I was enjoying a bike ride along the lake when she got all angry and closed the lakefront. She is overreacting here. The population density along Chicago’s lakefront is huge, by closing the parks and trails is just going to crowd the sidewalks adjacent to the lake and all the high rise apts.
Most of the people were spaced pretty well, the camera angles were deceiving of how packed it was. Yeah, there were a few idiots playing soccer and basketball, but for the most part it was fine and the people walking side by side probably live together anyways. If anything, she should have closed the busiest part from the Navy Pier to North Ave beach, the other 90% of the lakefront was perfectly fine.
Our mayor won’t do anything about all the high crime in the city, but don’t you dare take a walk along the lakefront.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Am I the only one who really doesn't give two ***** about confirmed cases? The daily panic surrounding this number is baffling to me because it's so directly tied to testing. It's not based on some comprehensive survey of the population. We don't know, and may never know, the real number of infections, including those who were infected and recovered with little awareness. Is it reasonable to believe that a highly contagious virus in a connected society hasn't infected thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, in a state of 3.2 million?

I'm much more interested in the number of hospitalizations and deaths. Those are real numbers, as is the total population. So, in a state of 3.2 million, we have 3 dead (0.0001%) and 32 hospitalized (0.001%). Forgive my lack of panic over "confirmed cases."

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
I think Part of the issue is that there’s not much they can do for you whether you have it or not as a mild case. That is why they tell you just go home and quarantine yourself and see if it either plays out it’s better or worse
Right but with how some employers are being, they are expecting you to come back when the fever subsides. Without having the confirmation, you can't know how to properly carry on without potentially spreading it.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I think the concern with parks is the shared playground equipment and benches that will inevitably pass this stuff on. Not sure why those things couldn't be cordoned off, as opposed to closing the entire park.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Am I the only one who really doesn't give two ***** about confirmed cases? The daily panic surrounding this number is baffling to me because it's so directly tied to testing. It's not based on some comprehensive survey of the population. We don't know, and may never know, the real number of infections, including those who were infected and recovered with little awareness. Is it reasonable to believe that a highly contagious virus in a connected society hasn't infected thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, in a state of 3.2 million?

I'm much more interested in the number of hospitalizations and deaths. Those are real numbers, as is the total population. So, in a state of 3.2 million, we have 3 dead (0.0001%) and 32 hospitalized (0.001%). Forgive my lack of panic over "confirmed cases."

Your right you'll probably never know the real number of cases, but that is the number you need to compare to hospitalizations and deaths. Not just total population.

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
My wife works at a printing company. Owner says they're essential because they print the weekly ad for a grocery store chain.

My wife is in the same boat, she's a graphic designer at a printing company and the owner (who's always been a greedy cheap ass) has determined that they will remain open due to being "essential", as they print things for banks and absentee ballots for government elections. Though he encourages any employees to feel free to not come into work and isolate at home and then he doesn't have to pay them. Does the same thing during snow storms. When businesses and schools close and it's not safe to drive, he encourages his employees to be safe and not take chances driving, but keeps the office open so anyone that doesn't come in either doesn't get paid or they have to use their PTO time, their call. Unbelievable....

P.S. His entire family, him, his kids, his parents.....all ISU grads, you'd expect better, ha.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I also think the ratio of people tested to being positive is an interesting figure. People are upset about the hoops you have to jump through to get tested, and rightfully so. But I think it's important to note that a high percentage of people who exhibit symptoms such that the qualify for testing still aren't positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.