***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
@EvanDaniels Northern Kentucky guard Jalen Tate is transferring, a source tells @247Sports. Averaged 13.9 PPG, 5.4 RPG and 3.6 APG. Graduate Transfer.
This guy is a big strong guard with athleticism but really struggled this year from beyond the arc (18%). Last year though, he shot 40% from beyond the arc so I have no idea what exactly happened.

I think Steve will take a look at him, but I don't think he'll be on Steve's list.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
This guy is a big strong guard with athleticism but really struggled this year from beyond the arc (18%). Last year though, he shot 40% from beyond the arc so I have no idea what exactly happened.

I think Steve will take a look at him, but I don't think he'll be on Steve's list.

Didn't they move the line back this year? I have noticed a lot of guys three point percentage has dropped from one year to this year. Wondering if they are just struggling to adjust to the line being further back.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Didn't they move the line back this year? I have noticed a lot of guys three point percentage has dropped from one year to this year. Wondering if they are just struggling to adjust to the line being further back.
Yeah they did and it definitely had an impact overall this year. This guy specifically isn't a great 3 pt shooter by any means, but I don't think he's 18% bad. I'm assuming he's somewhere in the middle between the past two years and probably is probably a little above 30%. That's really not his game though. From watching his highlights, he likes getting to the rim and finishes well there. Above 50% on his career in that category.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah they did and it definitely had an impact overall this year. This guy specifically isn't a great 3 pt shooter by any means, but I don't think he's 18% bad. I'm assuming he's somewhere in the middle between the past two years and probably is probably a little above 30%. That's really not his game though. From watching his highlights, he likes getting to the rim and finishes well there. Above 50% on his career in that category.

I think a lot of -- if not most of -- the "ugliness" and "badness" people complained about with Iowa State, the Big 12, and college basketball last year was just the three-point line being further out and offensive efficiency declining with it.

Three-point percentages went down, reducing scoring, and defense packed into the lane more because there was less to respect from outside shooting, which lowered shooting percentages at the rim and reduced offensive rebounding.

These made the sport slower and gave it more grind. That does not mean the players were any "worse," though, just that they were playing a different game.

Reactions: isu83

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think a lot of -- if not most of -- the "ugliness" and "badness" people complained about with Iowa State, the Big 12, and college basketball last year was just the three-point line being further out and offensive efficiency declining with it.

Three-point percentages went down, reducing scoring, and defense packed into the lane more because there was less to respect from outside shooting, which lowered shooting percentages at the rim and reduced offensive rebounding.

These made the sport slower and gave it more grind. That does not mean the players were any "worse," though, just that they were playing a different game.
Yeah I would agree with that. I think that's part of the reason college basketball looked a bit down this year as well. Players and teams will adjust and will raise those percentages will then cause the shift back to playing more lockdown perimeter defense, which then will lead to the ability to get to the rim more.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Saw this as a reply to Evan, with a further insight on Dimenco.

@CBB_Central The Rider core that went 15-3 and dominated the MAAC as freshmen & sophomores in 2017-18 has now officially departed without winning a single MAAC quarterfinal game. Vaughn sometimes fades in & out but his talent is undeniable. Long, athletic wing who is a menace min transition.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Saw this as a reply to Evan, with a further insight on Dimenco.

@CBB_Central The Rider core that went 15-3 and dominated the MAAC as freshmen & sophomores in 2017-18 has now officially departed without winning a single MAAC quarterfinal game. Vaughn sometimes fades in & out but his talent is undeniable. Long, athletic wing who is a menace min transition.

Advanced stats love him. I'm sure he'll have a long line of suitors. I love seeing so many quality players out there. Gives me hope we can land one

Reactions: JBone84

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Advanced stats love him. I'm sure he'll have a long line of suitors. I love seeing so many quality players out there. Gives me hope we can land one
With our playing time available and Prohm's NBA record I would be surprised if we don't get at least one decently sought after transfer.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Well we have a pretty good freshman class. Haliburton and THT both started as freshman on a good team.

Melvin Ejim
Georges Niang
Monté Morris
Solomon Young

Lindell Wigginton
Cameron Lard

...all started as freshmen.

I would argue the bold ones were on "good" (e.g., NCAA tournament) teams to add to your list of Haliburton and Horton-Tucker from last year.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Melvin Ejim
Georges Niang
Monté Morris
Solomon Young

Lindell Wigginton
Cameron Lard

...all started as freshmen.

I would argue the bold ones were on "good" (e.g., NCAA tournament) teams to add to your list of Haliburton and Horton-Tucker from last year.
I thought Monte only started a little later in the season once Fred figured out he couldn't keep someone like that off the floor. Although he had Kane in front of him on the PG depth chart so that is tough.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We need results this year. Steve is always "in" on a lot of transfers each spring, but he seldom reels in a big fish. With Shayok being the lone exception, really, Steve has never brought in an immediate impact guy in the spring, despite being in contact with many transfers year in and year out. Need to see that change this year, or things might get pretty dire for him (and for us as fans for having to watch what could be train wreck next year).

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
We need results this year. Steve is always "in" on a lot of transfers each spring, but he seldom reels in a big fish. With Shayok being the lone exception, really, Steve has never brought in an immediate impact guy in the spring, despite being in contact with many transfers year in and year out. Need to see that change this year, or things might get pretty dire for him (and for us as fans for having to watch what could be train wreck next year).

Bolton was a big fish in the Spring

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I thought Monte only started a little later in the season once Fred figured out he couldn't keep someone like that off the floor. Although he had Kane in front of him on the PG depth chart so that is tough.

That is right, but Matt Thomas started as a freshman during the non-con. Monte eventually moved Kane to SG and Matt to 7th man.