Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I teach at a large middle school in the metro. My principal told me his feeling is no more school this year, but no one is certain, obviously. We are expected to find/create online learning for students to (optionally) complete in order to satisfy our contract requirements as well as take pressure off of parents to "homeschool" their kids. We are not a 1:1 school so there are no required assignments, and it is discouraged to introduce new topics that students would need to know if we return to school this year.

I am on the other end of the spectrum, at a small rural school that is 1:1, but the problem is many of our kids do not have internet access from home. Libraries and other places that have it are closed. So it will be difficult for many of the students to do any work that I post online. We have also been told that any work you give out, you cannot require it to be completed.

Our Principal has been posting links to sites for the kids, most are for elementary age students. Right now we are holding in place until April 13th like everyone else, everything I hear, we will then start posting on mass review lessons for the students, trying to keep them busy, with little to no new information or material to be covered. I would guess we will end up spending the first few weeks next year, covering any necessary information missed this year, if we do not go back.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, but the states have this data already and the capability to make their own decisions. This is essentially a directive from the president and his administration on how they feel the situation should be handled.

Just saw where it's assumed by ***** that the states aren't going to need the amount of medical equipment that they're asking for, since major hospitals usually only have a few.

It's a direct play into the people that think this is like car collision deaths.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Scheels is staying open deeming themselves "essential"
You know, I was thinking that Scheels could definitely make a case they're essential considering they sell a wide variety of hunting, fishing, outdoors, and survival items.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
You know, I was thinking that Scheels could definitely make a case they're essential considering they sell a wide variety of hunting, fishing, outdoors, and survival items.
I work at Scheels, we are not essential.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Neither are most of the jobs being labeled 'essential'

Actually kind of surprised with all the things called essential that places like hair salons got shut down. Lots of people would consider a monthly haircut more essential than some of the things that haven't been shut down yet.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Just saw where it's assumed by ***** that the states aren't going to need the amount of medical equipment that they're asking for, since major hospitals usually only have a few.

It's a direct play into the people that think this is like car collision deaths.

I mean how many respirators are needed for severe influenza cases?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Scheels is staying open deeming themselves "essential"

And herein lies the problem with any shelter-in-place type order. The intent is great. But the application will be darn near impossible. It's just a hard line to draw.

But, for the record, there isn't a thing in Scheels that people couldn't do without...

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah I mean I really have no qualifications for determining what is and what isn't essential. I was just saying I could see Scheels being able to make a case they are based on them selling a variety of different things besides sports apparel.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And herein lies the problem with any shelter-in-place type order. The intent is great. But the application will be darn near impossible. It's just a hard line to draw.

But, for the record, there isn't a thing in Scheels that people couldn't do without...
I mean it's not impossible.. It's literally happening in like 20 other states. Will it be absolutely 100% perfect? Well no, there are bound to be some people that don't comply. But it will certainly help the people that do comply and the people that they might come into contact with.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Is Target closed?

If they are, that'll save me lots of money b/c my wife can't go!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I mean it's not impossible.. It's literally happening in like 20 other states. Will it be absolutely 100% perfect? Well no, there are bound to be some people that don't comply. But it will certainly help the people that do comply and the people that they might come into contact with.

There are other states that have ordered it, but I imagine they are running into the exact same issues on businesses who define themselves as "essential". The question then becomes who is defining essential, is it being consistently applied and how is it being enforced?

Again, I think it's a good idea. But I just don't think there's any way you can craft a good definition and enforce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron