Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Interesting...my question would be to wonder if it takes those 14 days for the other person to even contract it, should they quarantine for longer.

Hoping for the best possible outcome either way.
I was wondering the same thing about my sister, not sure how long it was before she was symptomatic. Once you are infected you are capable of transmission.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I work in manufacturing and wonder if this will close these businesses as well, or if this is strictly retail?
Right now no. That will end up being the next step though and honestly it keeps creeping towards that happening.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've also heard that it's been taking upwards of a week to get results.

My good friend's wife was one of the earlier Iowa tests, and she got her results back in 3-4 days.

But she's the administrator of a pretty good sized nursing home. I would imagine she was getting some preferential treatment compared to most people given what she does and who she works with.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This press conference has been better than the previous not just because she's mandating more, but she's answering more questions and explaining everything better.

I think this was a step in the right direction as far as what she's been enforcing. I hope if things don't change we won't be reluctant to take the next step.

If I were to bet on it though, I'd probably say sometime this weekend there will end up being a shelter in place called into effect.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Sounds like counties aren’t legally allowed to do their own shelter in places
Yeah I thought that was a bit interesting. When reading an article posted from Monday, a few of the Mayors were saying Reynolds told them they had the power to do so, but I guess that's not the case anymore. As these cases continue to rise, especially in the higher populated areas, I'm sure the Mayors are going to be a bit more pushy in trying to get Reynolds to pull that trigger.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
FWIW I believe she did this with lower numbers than what WI did, but it might also be based on number of cases vs. number of medical facility availability.
Considering Iowa has a population about half the size of Wisconsin, I would think it is the second thing you mentioned.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Are we confident that county information as reported is where the person is from, or where they were at when got the test?

It's starting to look somewhat like a map of Iowa's hospital network.

I'm assuming our hospital network has a high correlation to our population density.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Exponential just means it grows at a constant percentage. That percentage doesn't have to be 100% (doubling every day). But it will double over a repeatable period. So it may double every 3 days, or 4 days, or 5 days. I think the US in general has been doubling about every 3 days.
I thought there was a specific definition of exponential. Merriam-Webster seems to indicate otherwise Hmm. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exponential

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Sounds like counties aren’t legally allowed to do their own shelter in places

She said the exact opposite in her press conference two or three days ago, in defense of her not taking statewide action. That's embarrassing.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
This and I am assuming hospitals with the capacity to treat this are by metros

That's why I was asking. For example, my county has no cases but is directly between two more metropolitan counties that have multiple cases. Most people I know would use the hospitals in the county on either side of us in the case of serious illness.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

I believe there have also been positive tests at the Whirlpool plant in Amana, Quaker and Collins in CR and the Rock Island Arsenal in the QCs.

In all cases that I've seen, it appears the person was going to work while infected, so those areas should expect wider spread.

This is where a shelter in place is needed.

Also, this seems like a very small number:

At Iowa's current infected number (173) and a 20% hospitilization rate (not the same as vent rate...) and a doubling every three days - we are ~8 days from needing that number.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Realistically? There's no way kids go back to school this school year. Everyone should be planning for that
The people I know who work in the crapids district have been quietly saying this is the feeling on their respective staffs. I'd say 10 or so teachers i know have told me that.

Status
Not open for further replies.