WBB: what losing game result would you flip?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
So, I was kind of inspired to create something for WBB fans by reading other things on CF. If there was one game where the Iowa State women's basketball team lost that you could flip to a win, which one would it be and why (if there is any particular reason)?

Some possibilities:

*Iowa State 65, Penn State 66 (2000 NCAA Sweet 16) - Helen Darling rips rebound away under ISU basket and lays it in with a second left on the clock; PSU crushes La Tech to reach the Final Four

*Iowa State 61, Rutgers 62 (1998 NCAA 2nd round) - would have been ISU's first Sweet 16 ever

*Iowa State 60, Oklahoma 67 (2007 Big 12 tournament finals) - would have beaten Courtney Paris's OU team for Big 12 title

*Iowa State 60, Missouri State 69 (2019 NCAA 2nd round) - could have allowed Bridget Carleton to become all-time scoring leader, sent ISU to first Sweet 16 since 2010

*Iowa State 69, BYU 75 (2002 NCAA 2nd round) - would have been ISU's fourth consecutive Sweet 16 AND a regional semi-final game with Tennessee in Hilton Coliseum

Any others that stand out as an "Awwww, man! That sucked!" coulda-woulda-shoulda game?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
My pick for the game-I'd-like-to-flip would be the Penn State game in 2000 in Kansas City. While ISU would have had to play another game to reach the Final Four that year, Penn State would beat the 1 seed, Louisiana Tech, by around 20 points to get there instead. I would like to think that was our best chance (after getting stomped by Georgia in the 1999 Elite 8). Megan Taylor on the rebound of Lions miss as the clock wound down. PSU's point guard, Helen Darling, ripped the ball away from her and made the basket resulting in the final score. ISU had maybe a second or two left of the clock, but they couldn't make anything happen. Was possibly the most exciting back and forth game of that era.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My pick for the game-I'd-like-to-flip would be the Penn State game in 2000 in Kansas City. While ISU would have had to play another game to reach the Final Four that year, Penn State would beat the 1 seed, Louisiana Tech, by around 20 points to get there instead. I would like to think that was our best chance (after getting stomped by Georgia in the 1999 Elite 8). Megan Taylor on the rebound of Lions miss as the clock wound down. PSU's point guard, Helen Darling, ripped the ball away from her and made the basket resulting in the final score. ISU had maybe a second or two left of the clock, but they couldn't make anything happen. Was possibly the most exciting back and forth game of that era.

That was Stacy Frese's last game, wasn't it?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I was trying to think of any regular season games that I would like to flip, but struggled to come up with much off the top of my head other than the last second Texas Tech loss this season that ended a long winning streak against Yosemite Sam State. But I think the basketball gods made up for it with a similarly-ending Baylor game that worked out ok. ;)

Maybe I can think of one or two if I do a little digging and reviewing of seasons past.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Maybe I can think of one or two (regular season games) if I do a little digging and reviewing of seasons past.

*Mississippi State in 2016. ISU led them by as many as 18 points, I believe. The Bulldogs came all the way back and tied it at the very end, forcing OT, where ISU lost by 4. THAT would have been a great Hilton win.

*@Texas Tech in 1999. ISU and Tech were both ranked in a game that was to determine 1st place in the Big 12 at that point. Should have been a good matchup, right? ISU trailed something like 37-9 at halftime en route to a 71-47 final. While I don't necessarily know that it's even realistic to even dream to "flip" this game, not getting embarrassed down there would suffice.

*@Drake in 1999. This was the game where Stacy Frese set the ISU record for made threes in a single game (later tied by Heather Ezell), going 10-18. Drake won 90-86. Stacy almost single-handedly kept ISU in that game in the second half, but Drake had an answer for everything the Cyclones did. It's one of those games where I would want to flip it just to reward the effort of Frese for going above and beyond her usual ability to "do it all."

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Penn State game for sure. I still remember being there and being in utter disbelief at how it ended. That was an AWESOME team.