Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Johnson county yes.

Considering 1/5th of all Iowans live in Polk county/DSM Metro 24 cases is not really all that alarming to me.
But I think we are well aware there are tons more non tested positive people out there around us. It would not surprise me if the actual cases are in the thousands here, but they just have not been tested yet.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
But I think we are well aware there are tons more non tested positive people out there around us. It would not surprise me if the actual cases are in the thousands here, but they just have not been tested yet.
Oh they are definitely in the thousands. Limited testing doesn't allow even close to the truth as far as what our true numbers are, or what numbers are in the entire United States.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Are we confident that county information as reported is where the person is from, or where they were at when got the test?

It's starting to look somewhat like a map of Iowa's hospital network.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Weird. I was assured we were winning this battle because traffic counts are down.

Traffic counts being down might at least limit collisions which would maybe lower traffic collision patients.

Wishful thinking, I know.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
On the verge of suspending/deleting Facebook. My god.

Same with Twitter. It’s a mix of “this isn’t that big of deal” and “holy **** the world is going to end”. Sad we live it a country where who screams the loudest, regardless of facts, wins.

I deleted Twitter this morning. There was some valid news in there I will miss, but it was really hard to find between the constant negativity. For some reason my Twitter world was consumed with people trying to put forth the most dire view of the future possible. It's like it's some competition on who can paint the bleakest picture.

This is undoubtedly serious stuff, but the "this will never end and we will all die" takes are overwhelming.

Reactions: dosry5

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007

In surprised gas prices aren't actually even lower.

I agree, but how low can they go? Some on Gasbuddy.com are already reporting $1.44/gallon (Ankeny Casey's and Sam's Club).

After you take out $.50 in state and federal taxes that leaves less than a dollar per gallon for oil companies to extract, refine and transport it to the local stores. Not much margin for profit there- if any.

Reactions: Die4Cy

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
My parents live in a rural county that already has positive cases. After talking with my parents I 100% agree. It doesn’t sound like their area is taking things as seriously as they should be. What's even scarier is the county has 2 respirators total.

However the school district closed for a month way before most schools in the DSM metro did.

Most schools closed about the same time, many of the metro schools were on spring break, therefore they officially closed later, but the students were not in session.
Rural schools tend to still run an Easter break schedule, therefore they were still in class when the shutdown occurred.

Our board met on Monday, we are officially closed until April 13th, like all schools, and then a decision will be made at that time of what we are doing next. All activities like Prom, Sr. Trip and graduation are still tentative scheduled at this time.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Oh they are definitely in the thousands. Limited testing doesn't allow even close to the truth as far as what our true numbers are, or what numbers are in the entire United States.
If you look at the bar graph for Iowa, there are one or two confirmed cases in the 0-17 age group. It's reasonable to assume that cross section has had way more exposure than that data would lead one to believe. There is empirical data that shows that group to be the most asymptomatic. Plus that group is most likely the dirtiest, most reckless, most least aware of all. Basically agar plates with legs.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I deleted Twitter this morning. There was some valid news in there I will miss, but it was really hard to find between the constant negativity. For some reason my Twitter world was consumed with people trying to put forth the most dire view of the future possible. It's like it's some competition on who can paint the bleakest picture.

This is undoubtedly serious stuff, but the "this will never end and we will all die" takes are overwhelming.

Kinda throwing the baby out with the bathwater, aren't you? Mute people or unfollow.

I'd also be really curious to know who you're following that's painting such a bleak picture. Because if you're using CF threads as your baseline, the crowd here has been much more dismissive overall of coronavirus since it started than most neutral experts and analysis I've seen.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Kinda throwing the baby out with the bathwater, aren't you? Mute people or unfollow.

I'd also be really curious to know who you're following that's painting such a bleak picture. Because if you're using CF threads as your baseline, the crowd here has been much more dismissive overall of coronavirus since it started than most neutral experts and analysis I've seen.

Just seemed easier that way, but there may be "baby with the bathwater" element to it. I don't know. Maybe it's just the way my mind works but the constant negativity just wore on me. And I do truly get it's a hard thing to put any kind of optimistic spin on. But most of what I was seeing was painting this dystopian view of the future that I finally just had enough.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I agree, but how low can they go? Some on Gasbuddy.com are already reporting $1.44/gallon (Ankeny Casey's and Sam's Club).

After you take out $.50 in state and federal taxes that leaves less than a dollar per gallon for oil companies to extract, refine and transport it to the local stores. Not much margin for profit there- if any.
Per Bloomberg, wholesale unleaded gas (after refining) is 54.3 cents per gallon. Still sucks for the oil companies due to the extraction costs exceeding sales prices, but they are certainly making some of that back due to the current spread between the wholesale price (54 cents), taxes (50 cents), and sales price ($1.44)...40 cents per gallon.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
They are being used to wear over N95s to extend their longevity though.

It really doesn't extend the life of a N-95. Once it pulls air through the fabric, the outer surface of the N95 is still contaminated. Can it prevent the N95 from getting dirty, sure.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

OPEC tried to get Russia to mutually agree to decrease production of oil to keep prices up during the epidemic. Russia said no. OPEC responded by increasing production to drive the price of oil way down in hopes of putting pressure on Russia and other oil producers around the world. That's why gas is so crazy cheap right now. It's good for the prices at the pump but is not good for the world economy overall.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Johnson county yes.

Considering 1/5th of all Iowans live in Polk county/DSM Metro 24 cases is not really all that alarming to me.

The published stat I've seen is that for every 1 positive test, there is 100 positive that haven't been tested.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
States like New York, Washington, and Illinois have had to be more proactive than us.

I would argue they’ve had to be more reactive and using them as a dipstick to not be proactive is pretty dumb. That is of course if doing everything to limit loss of life is the goal. Maybe it’s not.

Status
Not open for further replies.