Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So here's an interesting story.. At work there is someone who usually isn't the office but works for us called in and said her husband has all of the symptoms, went to the hospital and they said they believe he has it but they can't administer a test because he doesn't qualify because he's not old enough.. Lol

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So here's an interesting story.. At work there is someone who usually isn't the office but works for us called in and said her husband has all of the symptoms, went to the hospital and they said they believe he has it but they can't administer a test because he doesn't qualify because he's not old enough.. Lol

I didn't have quite the same experience..only had a couple of symptoms, but they basically just advised and didn't take me in. I'd just assume someone who's experiencing extreme symptoms and is more vulnerable gets a test before me, but at least knowing would be better than assuming.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Yup. Sad testing isn’t available right now unless you’re basically on your death bed

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I didn't have quite the same experience..only had a couple of symptoms, but they basically just advised and didn't take me in. I'd just assume someone who's experiencing extreme symptoms and is more vulnerable gets a test before me, but at least knowing would be better than assuming.
Yeah that sounds similar. So these numbers they're putting out there are even more flawed considering there are people going in there that doctors say probably have the virus but either don't fit the age requirement or don't have extreme enough symptoms.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I've heard this from multiple other people. Not old enough, haven't traveled to a certain area, etc but we believe you have it. Self quarantine for 14 days

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah that sounds similar. So these numbers they're putting out there are even more flawed considering there are people going in there that doctors say probably have the virus but either don't fit the age requirement or don't have extreme enough symptoms.

Which is good news if lots of us have had it and are presumedly immune, bad news for not really knowing and leaving more loose ends out there to fester over.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I've heard this from multiple other people. Not old enough, haven't traveled to a certain area, etc but we believe you have it. Self quarantine for 14 days
And herein lies the issue.. You're also supposed to self-isolate for 14 days if you have come into contact with someone who has symptoms or has tested positive. But those people are expected to go to a workplace or else their jobs could be in jeopardy, further putting everyone else working there at risk as well.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
One of my kids works as a server in a senior care center. They are in full lock down mode. No one leaves except for doctor appts. When he arrives, they do a temp check and wipe down with disinfectant wipes.

The dining room is closed now and all food orders are delivered to each room like hotel room service, only they leave the food outside the door, knock, back up 10 feet and ask the resident for tomorrow's order.

At the end of his shift, they do a temp check again and he leaves his "serving" shirt there to be washed over night.

Sounds like my mom's facility. Per the governor's proclamation, they no longer have on-site hair care. That is what she's most upset about. :)

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
See that's what I'm trying to understand as well.. And even at that, there were cases that popped up in which workers at those places tested positive.. literally today lol. So idk exactly. If she's going to cling to that criteria, then how many more workers at those care facilities have to test positive before she implements something or at least changes the criteria?

Where in Iowa were there positive tests in long-term care facilities? The one's I know of are in full lock-down mode except for the workers who come and go. The only other people allowed in are EMTs and other medical staff (MDs, Nurse Practioner).

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Which is good news if lots of us have had it and are presumedly immune, bad news for not really knowing and leaving more loose ends out there to fester over.
I think we’d be surprised how few have contracted it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Where in Iowa were there positive tests in long-term care facilities? The one's I know of are in full lock-down mode except for the workers who come and go. The only other people allowed in are EMTs and other medical staff (MDs, Nurse Practioner).
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...esident-test-positive-coronavirus/5078493002/

It states here that there were 5 positive cases in 4 different facilities located in different counties. I would agree that it's interesting how it got in there during this time.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Whoa, whoa, whoa....some orange guy told me a couple weeks ago that anyone who wants to get tested could get tested.

No way that guy was lying.....he seemed like a straight shooter.
Yeah he failed to explain that in some states you wouldn't be able to.. States like ours that don't have adequate testing aren't able to test everyone who wants one.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
The Army is now reaching out to us retired folks to see if anyone with a medical background is interested in serving right now in some capacity.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
The Army is now reaching out to us retired folks to see if anyone with a medical background is interested in serving right now in some capacity.

Wait, a poster just above said we’d be surprised by how few have contracted it.

why would the military think there would be need for any additional boots on the ground?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
And herein lies the issue.. You're also supposed to self-isolate for 14 days if you have come into contact with someone who has symptoms or has tested positive. But those people are expected to go to a workplace or else their jobs could be in jeopardy, further putting everyone else working there at risk as well.

Which is why widespread testing was needed. And we still don't have it.

Widespread testing would have made this whole thing a lot easier. It would have been bad, but we could have handled it. But we are flying blind.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Calling @BoxsterCy -- get out(side, that is) while you can!

Doesn't really doesn't effect me much. Already shutting in for the most part. Day 13 without a grocery run. Changed newspaper to all digital read. Raining here so may go walkabout in running rain gear. Weather should be cutting down on the path crowds.

Hair is going to get long and shaggy as hell but who is going to see it? ;)

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Someone left this comment during the Governor's press conference today (Wed.) Interesting for several reasons.
"A guy in Hancock county got off a plane from Florida and a couple hours later he was in the local elevator and in the local gas station. Let’s all shelter in place! I’m a trucker and the place I haul to won’t shut down."

Status
Not open for further replies.