Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I think even talking about it starts to get people to 'loosen up' too soon on the approach of a date just 3 weeks from now.

A goal to open things up by something like Memorial Day, but 'hang tight, we're going to work on a plan and response to various measures' as the message would have been more realistic and direct.

People will hear what was said, and already start with 'well, it sounds like it's going to be gone by Easter,' and take this less seriously.

I don't think people will do that. I think anybody with a brain realizes that Easter is a check point. Just like April 13 is a checkpoint for schools. If it's still bad (which it probably will be) everything gets extended. I don't think it makes a difference.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The thing is, you could walk into a cafe, store, bank, etc and there could be 10 people in there that are all carriers. And yet IF all of you followed proper protocols your chance of contracting it are near zero. The chance of everybody doing that is also near zero.
Do proper protocols include not breathing?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Reynolds will follow Trump's lead. The malaria medicine is unequivocally ********

We don't know that yet. Is it the pure wonder drug that's going to eradicate it? No. Can it be a part of a temporary therapeutic solution before we get a vaccine if it checks out? Sure.

My mom has severe rheumatoid arthritis and that's one of the drugs she's prescribed to help with the damage rheumatoid does to the lungs and other soft tissues. I think it's silly to just dismiss it out of hand when there is some anecdotal evidence that it may help in certain situations. Lets let it play out some, we can't control the idiots...

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
It's been pretty obvious that the states and cities are the ones handling this thus far. They've all been out ahead of Trump on shutting things down and they aren't just going to flip the switch at Easter because he wants it either.

States and cities are supposed to handle it. And yes, they don't have to do what he suggests unless he enacts some executive order, which I don't think he will.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I wonder if we will almost "reverse" what we did....meaning, I get now it's to keep things from blowing up exponentially......but lets say in two months we are ready to open things back up...in theory, we all could catch/pass along as it is now.

So, what I mean....will we do a "ok, you can start meeting with 10 or fewer.....then to 50 or fewer....then 250"

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
........And Counties
Polk and Johnson County Mayors have been in Reynold's ear trying to explain to her the need for some sort of shut down. I'm not sure what it's going to take as far as positive cases / deaths for her to end up going down that road.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I wonder if we will almost "reverse" what we did....meaning, I get now it's to keep things from blowing up exponentially......but lets say in two months we are ready to open things back up...in theory, we all could catch/pass along as it is now.

So, what I mean....will we do a "ok, you can start meeting with 10 or fewer.....then to 50 or fewer....then 250"
That's how I picture it. I don't think they'll just say "All clear" all of a sudden. Some measure of "social distancing" will likely carry on for the next 12-18 months, unless the virus really does go away somehow before that. I think a lot of entertainment things wont happen, at least with fans in attendance (sports, concerts, festivals, etc...) for a long time.

Reactions: CapnCy

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Honest question, what is the sanity going to be for everyone self quarantining through the latter part of April, especially those without a paycheck and as the small business start closing for good by the end of April, the same individuals have no job to come back to after this is over? I don't know what is the best case in all this situation. If anything it has brought out the worst in people with how the align with party lines.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
That's how I picture it. I don't think they'll just say "All clear" all of a sudden. Some measure of "social distancing" will likely carry on for the next 12-18 months, unless the virus really does go away somehow before that. I think a lot of entertainment things wont happen, at least with fans in attendance (sports, concerts, festivals, etc...) for a long time.

I agree...then, of course, there will be folks that "dont' get it" just due to it's not an "absolute" like we are in now....and hopefully treatment/vacs will be worked on for this strain.

Because, ultimately, if we find this strain is tricky to treat, there will still be real risk to folks (or the assumption of math of how long it'll take to impact everyone)

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So why don't those counties or mayors shut down?
I honestly don't know, but that's a good question. I know they were not pleased yesterday after her press conference and I'm going to assume today they are looking further into taking action into their own hands.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
We don't know that yet. Is it the pure wonder drug that's going to eradicate it? No. Can it be a part of a temporary therapeutic solution before we get a vaccine if it checks out? Sure.

My mom has severe rheumatoid arthritis and that's one of the drugs she's prescribed to help with the damage rheumatoid does to the lungs and other soft tissues. I think it's silly to just dismiss it out of hand when there is some anecdotal evidence that it may help in certain situations. Lets let it play out some, we can't control the idiots...

A friend of mine's dad had something called Q fever a couple of years ago. They gave him that medication and it worked.

Reactions: Acylum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron