On to 2021

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Degen is so much fun to watch, and he's so tough. But shoulders just never seem to get back to 100%. If he can get and stay healthy all year, who knows? He's certainly unorthodox and tough enough to make a run . He deserves a storybook ending, but even as optimistic as I usually am, I can't quite make that leap. I can't think of a single worse injury for the way he wrestles, I'd be stunned if he doesn't aggravate it again.

If Colbray and Coleman can settle in to their weights and show up consistently, and Brodersen is the real deal we could have a real good duel team.

I hate to derail the thread but despite my love for Degen I don't find him fun to watch. But I know what you're getting at. He is certainly unorthodox.

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
Potential back to back Olympic redshirts will make next year interesting again. I think Lewis will own 165 when he comes back. Personally, I hope Carr stays at 57 next year & hopefully has a better path after that. Think Carr, Parker & Gannon all place higher than Degan next year. Hopefully all 4 AA. He’s one of my favorites on this team. Hopefully he can get healthy.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think 157 would be better than 165 for Carr also. Assuming not many big names change weights. But looking at the weights, I am not sure it matters much.

165 will have The Bull, Lewis, Griffith (Carr recently beat Griffith in freestyle)
157 has Hidlay, Deakin back. Does Deakin go up, he looked huge at 157.
149 has Sasso, B Lee, O'Connor. Do they all stay put.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Personally, I'm not a fan of cutting weight and I'd like to see all of the middle of the lineup move up. Carr and Gomez would have easier cuts. A little muscle on Degan could help with his shoulder issues. The only one I could see it adversely affecting is Parker, but I think he has the drive to make it work.
125 - Mackall
133 - Small
141 - Gomez
149 - Parker
157 - Degan
165 - Carr
174 - Colbray
184 - Broderson/Coleman
197 - Coleman/Shapiro/Duggan
Hwt - Gremmell

Could be a pretty salty lineup.

Crazyape22

Feb 22, 2019
Wow, to the ones poo pooing Degen & his wrestling style of boring or he won't AA high. Remember, he is the only one to go NCAA his first year at ISU in Dresser's era & would have AA if Tsirtsis didn't stall the whole time. Last year, he tore his labrum & rotor cuff in his FIRST match of NCAA's, this year he lost close matches with a BAD shoulder. I don't know how anyone can count him out or say he's boring...he makes matches pretty nerve wracking & some very exciting. No one has seen what he can really do being totally healthy & experienced. Hoping this surgery keeps him intact all season with no troubles!

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Wow, to the ones poo pooing Degen & his wrestling style of boring or he won't AA high. Remember, he is the only one to go NCAA his first year at ISU in Dresser's era & would have AA if Tsirtsis didn't stall the whole time. Last year, he tore his labrum & rotor cuff in his FIRST match of NCAA's, this year he lost close matches with a BAD shoulder. I don't know how anyone can count him out or say he's boring...he makes matches pretty nerve wracking & some very exciting. No one has seen what he can really do being totally healthy & experienced. Hoping this surgery keeps him intact all season with no troubles!

That Tsirtsis match was stolen from Degen. How a crap load of stalling never got called on Tsirtsis is beyond me. I think the Tsirtsis story got him a lot of pity in that match

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think 157 would be better than 165 for Carr also. Assuming not many big names change weights. But looking at the weights, I am not sure it matters much.

165 will have The Bull, Lewis, Griffith (Carr recently beat Griffith in freestyle)
157 has Hidlay, Deakin back. Does Deakin go up, he looked huge at 157.
149 has Sasso, B Lee, O'Connor. Do they all stay put.

Not to mention Wick and Wittlake. Not saying either are better than Carr, but a leg rider with Wick's freakish dimensions can give anyone fits. And Wittlake gave Bull a good match in I.C.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Not to mention Wick and Wittlake. Not saying either are better than Carr, but a leg rider with Wick's freakish dimensions can give anyone fits. And Wittlake gave Bull a good match in I.C.
Forgot about Wick

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011

I don’t know that anyone is down on him or his style. I think people are trying to objectively look at next year. Hopefully he comes back better than ever.

losinglion100

Jan 11, 2018
Maybe....Degen medicals next year and Gomez goes 149 after wrestle off with Parker at 141??? Carr goes 165 and about 10 guys battle it out for 157.

Don't everyone flake out here. Just throwing out a scenario. Its possible.

And FWIW nobody questions Degen. He is tough.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Maybe....Degen medicals next year and Gomez goes 149 after wrestle off with Parker at 141??? Carr goes 165 and about 10 guys battle it out for 157.

Don't everyone flake out here. Just throwing out a scenario. Its possible.

And FWIW nobody questions Degen. He is tough.

I could potentially see a Degen medical redshirt if his surgery gets put off long enough. At the same time, he might just want to give it his all one last year and retire from wrestling before injuring anything else too bad. Best case scenario is still Degen gets his surgery, goes 149 next year and Gomez makes it down to 133.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
If we're talking best chance to make the finals then it's 157 for Carr. But I'm of the believe Carr wants to go 165 and not mess with much weight cutting. I believe he said as much recently in an interview with Flo.

Now if he does go 165, boy those would be some fun match ups. Carr/Mekhi would be awesome. I'd be really interested to see how he stacked up with Marinelli. We haven't seen his bottom game tested much but IIRC Deakin rode him pretty hard, so a Wick match up would be interesting to see.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I’m not sure that Mekhi/Marinelli will be any harder to get through than Hidlay/Deakin.

Carr should go whatever weight he is able to wrestle his best.

Maybe not, but the path to get there at 65 might be tougher with Wick, Griffith, Wittlake,

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Maybe not, but the path to get there at 65 might be tougher with Wick, Griffith, Wittlake,
Maybe slightly, but Carr should not be making decisions based on the weight class of guys like Wittlake and Griffith. I don’t see those guys are being any tougher than Kaleb Young and Kendall Coleman.

Both of them were at Carr’s junior freestyle weight this past summer by the way. Wittlake lost to Brands who Carr beat and then Carr beat Griffith in two straight matches.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

Please don't take my comments with too much weight. We all have our favorites and in NO way am I saying he isn't tough. Has nothing to do with my support of him.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Personally, Degen is one of my favorite to watch simply because his style is so different from the norm. He's uses his feet like another set of hands and he wrestles from a high or straight up position versus trying to stay lower. I do think his shoulders prevented him from shooting in on legs as much this year because it exposed his shoulders to extended arms and dislocations. IF he can get his shoulders fixed I'm a believer that he can be a NCAA Champ. I had him ranked #1 pre-season and his early season close, questionable loss to Lugo only fueled my belief.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Personally, I'm not a fan of cutting weight and I'd like to see all of the middle of the lineup move up. Carr and Gomez would have easier cuts. A little muscle on Degan could help with his shoulder issues. The only one I could see it adversely affecting is Parker, but I think he has the drive to make it work.
125 - Mackall
133 - Small
141 - Gomez
149 - Parker
157 - Degan
165 - Carr
174 - Colbray
184 - Broderson/Coleman
197 - Coleman/Shapiro/Duggan
Hwt - Gremmell

Could be a pretty salty lineup.

Over the years I believe I've seen both pros and cons from cutting weight. Some just aren't strong enough and when they cut down they excel. Others have had success after bumping up. Personally, I'd rather they be big and strong than small and weak.

That said, I think Parker/Degen are both optimal at 141/149 and I think that the best guy picks his optimal weight and everyone else has to adjust. Gomez might be optimal at 141 but Parker beat him out earlier this year. I also think Gomez looked thinner and thinner as the season progressed. IF he can make 133 he's definitely a contender.