9 years later and OSU is still burning about it

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Still think they deserved in over Bama, but during the BCS era its all about when you lose and OSU lost late.
Fair enough to feel that way, but I think they probably got it right. Alabama’s only loss was a nail biter against undefeated LSU. OSU losing to a 6-7 Iowa State team was unforgiving. I don’t think OSU would have beat LSU or Bama that year, but no way to prove that. I think Bamas and LSUs defenses were 100x better in 2011 then the last couple years.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Fair enough to feel that way, but I think they probably got it right. Alabama’s only loss was a nail biter against undefeated LSU. OSU losing to a 6-7 Iowa State team was unforgiving. I don’t think OSU would have beat LSU or Bama that year, but no way to prove that. I think Bamas and LSUs defenses were 100x better in 2011 then the last couple years.

That's about their only blemish. The Big 12 was really solid that year. Four teams with 10 wins, 8 bowl teams. OSU beat them all (besides ISU).

Bama got to avoid #1 and #2 in the SEC East in 2011.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
That's the loss that haunts us all. I can't even think of anything even close. Maybe one of those McCarney choke jobs for a birth in the Big XII championship game or the FSU "Seneca was in" game?
We never faced anything like that other than MSU. Had we made the Big 12 championship in 2004 or 2005 we all know Oklahoma and Texas would have destroyed us and we still would have been in a crappy bowl. In 2002 if we beat FSU we were still going to be 8-6. MSU in the Elite 8 really was a what if.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I remember walking out of that game telling Okie St. fans that I wished it was over Texas or Oklahoma...Okie State like KSU is much more similar to ISU. The Okie State fans were super gracious.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's the loss that haunts us all. I can't even think of anything even close. Maybe one of those McCarney choke jobs for a birth in the Big XII championship game or the FSU "Seneca was in" game?

Elite Eight is tops for what's guaranteed with a win there.

A spot in the B12 Title game in 2004 or 05 gets what, a better bowl game? And since Florida State went 9-5 in 2002 it's not like that was much more than another win for what was really a pretty marginal team.

Semantics...the 2013 'Whithey's 5th foul' game still pisses me off more than many others and that team was a freakin' 10 seed, haha.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
And now the author of the article is torqued because so many fans think it is their worst loss (not the basketball game that he thinks was worst). That game just keeps giving!

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I would be pissed if I were them to but you know what. We didn't win that game on fluke turnovers or blown calls. We beat them outright. My wife and I went to the game in Stillwater the next year and most OSU fans were gracious and admitted they deserved to lose that game. Shame on them for losing to a mediocre team.

I'd guess the results were possibly skewed due to age demographics that participate in on line polls. if you were born before 1990 you probably didn't see the basketball game.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
We never faced anything like that other than MSU. Had we made the Big 12 championship in 2004 or 2005 we all know Oklahoma and Texas would have destroyed us and we still would have been in a crappy bowl. In 2002 if we beat FSU we were still going to be 8-6. MSU in the Elite 8 really was a what if.

Especially since the majority of CBB pundits dubbed it the de facto National Championship. (And as it turned out, it was.)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron