Anyone using extra time to read more?

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
What are you reading? I stepped away from my Thriller Spy genre to read Lessons From The Hanoi Hilton: Six Characteristics of High-Performance Teams by Peter Fretwell and Taylor Baldwin Kiland and literally couldn’t put it down last night until I dropped it when I fell asleep.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
What are you reading? I stepped away from my Thriller Spy genre to read Lessons From The Hanoi Hilton: Six Characteristics of High-Performance Teams by Peter Fretwell and Taylor Baldwin Kiland and literally couldn’t put it down last night until I dropped it when I fell asleep.

Who are you reading on the spy side of things? I just read a Brad Thor novel and thought it was pretty good.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ive wanted to but I cant find something I want to read.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My brain and or my kids don't allow me to read. Its like a hamster on a wheel can't stay focused.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I have been working on getting into reading more recently. I had a bad panic attack in mid February that made me realize I need to make some life changes to overcome my anxiety. I have been reading a lot of self improvement stuff and have loved it all! Atomic Habits by James Clear might be the best of the bunch. Currently reading Drive by Daniel Pink, which is about motivation. Would love to have a book club on self improvement books in the Ames area.

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
I’m halfway through my high school nemesis The Grapes of Wrath. One of the earliest chapters is entirely about a turtle walking. Sometimes it gets a little too descriptive but it’s getting pretty good now.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Not really. I was thinking about this today as to why not...
- I am still working (albeit remotely) so most days for me will be almost normal
- Wife and daughters are with me at home. Seems like when I am not working, I am talking, playing, hanging out with them.
- Have been catching up on normal life stuff (sleep, laundry, cleaning, etc.)
- Have been been reading about the state of the pandemic frequently (some twitter, some, CF, but also some of the more technical papers)
- Calling my parents daily for social interactions and re-enforce how they need to take this serious.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Currently reading both Empire of the Summer Moon and For the Sins of My Father. Both really good.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I have been working on getting into reading more recently. I had a bad panic attack in mid February that made me realize I need to make some life changes to overcome my anxiety. I have been reading a lot of self improvement stuff and have loved it all! Atomic Habits by James Clear might be the best of the bunch. Currently reading Drive by Daniel Pink, which is about motivation. Would love to have a book club on self improvement books in the Ames area.

Try meditating. 10% Happier by Dan Harris is a good book to keep you interested in it. His app by the same name is also good.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Try meditating. 10% Happier by Dan Harris is a good book to keep you interested in it. His app by the same name is also good.
I should be more specific. So I have what is referred to as extesential OCD. Research talks about facing the fears rather than avoiding them. I agree, I do need to meditate. It's a good coping skill to have in my back pocket.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Stopped by the library the day before they shut down and picked up a few thriller/spy books:

2x George Peliconos books
1x Alan Furst
1x Lee Childs

Nothing life changing, but fun easy reads.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I just finished Drive today. Its by Daniel Pink. If anyone is interested in human motivation, I highly suggest it. It will make you look at the way you try to motivate yourself and those around you.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
Pulled out Infinite Jest and got to page 2 this time. Success!
I read about four hundred pages of that dog before I put it down. Dude seriously needed an Editor. I just finished “The way we live Now” by Anthony Trollope. A pleasant surprise.

Reactions: Doc

safmusic

May 30, 2006
Reading chapter per day in New and Old testament. Now in Jeremiah which is exactly what we are going thru today. God wants us to follow him rather than saying we are and not doing it or just ignoring it and not thinking it is important... New testament Mark. All very interesting in how to follow the Lord. Society gets in our way and causes anxiousness and takes focus away from what is really important. This is the best motivation and better direction than self help books. I've never been good at helping myself with those books even though they sound good but not lasting in my life. I read while on my PEMF mat which helps with all kinds of inflammation among other things. Yes no kids around to interfere. Then I either are lifting weights or walking 5 miles (not skinny yet).

Reactions: khardbored

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Last year, I randomly started having some high anxiety/worry issues that interrupted my normal life. I did read a couple of books but found that Headspace worked wonders for me. 10x of what the reading did for me. Worth a shot if you are still searching.

• Friendly
Reactions: tyler24

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am having a flashback to pulp-fiction style fun stuff. Over 50 years ago I was reading reprints of the Doc Savage sci-fi serials. Currently breezing through the sci-fi space opera Renegade Star books by J.N. Chaney.

I am already thinking too much and don't need any heavy reading. Worlds too serious right now, I need some fun.

I get tired of this I'll maybe looking into some spy thrillers or download some crime stuff from Sanders or Patterson.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Last year, I randomly started having some high anxiety/worry issues that interrupted my normal life. I did read a couple of books but found that Headspace worked wonders for me. 10x of what the reading did for me. Worth a shot if you are still searching.
Thank you! I'll look into that one and 10% Happier. I will say this, ever since I had my major panic attack in mid February, I have taken huge steps in overcoming my anxiety. I think I have finally found a recipe and therapist that work for me. I just have to continue to push through it and remind myself this isn't going to be overcome in a night.

Reactions: Dopey

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron