Social Distancing

Should Parents Let Their Kids Hang Out With Friends During This "Break"?

• Yes

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 125 66.1%
  • Maybe Just 1 Friend

Votes: 37 19.6%

• Total voters

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Around here, the 17 and under and the 70 and over are the worst. They young say they won’t get it. The old say I didn’t hear anybody cough so they are fine. It’s nuts.

If they're anything like my Dad they're 'isolated' so their world just continues on like normal while the outside is turning in a mess. They think they're being selfless by stopping in and checking on each other but it's just the opposite.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Maybe a fleet of vehicles. It would overwhelm what one minivan is going to accomplish.

Can't use bus route times for lunch, because that's nobody's lunchtime. Using the bus pick up points would be the same personal congestion as handing them out at school.

There's another food program through the schools using a drive-thru approach. That's the best look to me.

Some programs are giving out breakfast and lunch at the same time...I'd guess those that are getting the food are then expected to just heat up the lunch later.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Some programs are giving out breakfast and lunch at the same time...I'd guess those that are getting the food are then expected to just heat up the lunch later.

Most, that I know, are cold meat sandwiches. Hey, something is better than starving. What I eat for about 6 weeks during October and November.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Talked with a nurse friend of mine last night that really really isn't doing the social distancing at all after work, when I checked in with her she was at a friends house. Was pretty shocking to hear her say "Well, I am not in a risk group like you." :eek: JFC, she's 55 or so and working in a hospital and likely exposed (she's had co-workers tested because of exposure). It think the gov here in MN is going to have to mandate shutdown as peeps are not cooperating. Much :(.

A nurse? And she's that clueless!?! Mind boggling...

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Ames is doing that. You can get a couple of days' worth, too, I believe. Any kids 1-18.

Reactions: Sparkplug

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Maybe a fleet of vehicles. It would overwhelm what one minivan is going to accomplish.

Can't use bus route times for lunch, because that's nobody's lunchtime. Using the bus pick up points would be the same personal congestion as handing them out at school.

There's another food program through the schools using a drive-thru approach. That's the best look to me.

Wife was just told that the local school is doing the drive-thru starting tomorrow (hopefully). That is there plans anyway. They had told all the aids and paras that they would get paid along with the staff, but the staff had things they were supposed to do to stay intouch with the students and try to encourage learning. So, they asked the aids and paras to sign up for times to help (hour to two hours a day). Everybody has refused since they are getting paid anyhow(wife has had a couple tell her directly that this is the reason). Sounds like the staff will now be going in and doing most of it.

Reactions: Angie

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Nobody can't get it.

The 'old' thing is the concern that they are more prone to die, along with anyone at any age with pre-existing conditions.

I know old people though that are acting more similarly to what the young people are being painted as. They seem to think that if they only see a few people they're somehow blocked from it. Scary.

It's going to be more than a 3 month problem.

Have a 88 year old adopted mom that doesn't seem to be getting it. Not happy that the library is closed and that she can't meet her friends for lunch.

She's in excellent health for her age but why push it.

I have her end of life directive and she basically doesn't want anything stronger that an aspirin.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Have a 88 year old adopted mom that doesn't seem to be getting it. Not happy that the library is closed and that she can't meet her friends for lunch.

She's in excellent health for her age but why push it.

I have her end of life directive and she basically doesn't want anything stronger that an aspirin.
I know I will get **** for this but maybe she has decided that being cooped up in a house by herself watching TV really is worse than living. There has to be a point where the cure is worse than the disease.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I know I will get **** for this but maybe she has decided that being cooped up in a house by herself watching TV really is worse than living. There has to be a point where the cure is worse than the disease.

thats great for her. But maybe those people should consider the nurse that will be forced to treat her with young children and without proper equipment.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
People are thinking about themselves, but not taking into effect the others they get sick because of their actions

Neighbor just posted FB pictures of her birthday party tailgate in a park with her friends. Even said they were social distancing, I guess because they were outdoors and it was less than 10 people. JFC, and she's a nurse and a middle age adult. Just unbelievable.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
Neighbor just posted FB pictures of her birthday party tailgate in a park with her friends. Even said they were social distancing, I guess because they were outdoors and it was less than 10 people. JFC, and she's a nurse and a middle age adult. Just unbelievable.
Yeah I created this thread 3 days ago and the world has already changed a lot since then. It amazes me how many people still think it's ok to get together "because they don't deal directly with the at risk demographic". We are probably going to be in for a long ride thanks to selfish people.

• Agree

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

I don't think that distribution at bus pick up points has anywhere near the risk of putting them on buses, taking them to a school building, and putting them back on buses.

Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to change the state rule to allow for delivery. If not, I wonder if Jimmy Johns could deliver meals to all the kids in the program for less than it costs to do it within the school system.

I read that the Ames Superintendent wants to honor the contract with the bus company. Maybe using buses to bring kids to school buildings for grab-n-go lunches is just a way to get something from the bus company.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
thats great for her. But maybe those people should consider the nurse that will be forced to treat her with young children and without proper equipment.

Hope she isn't treated by Boxster's neighbor the nurse!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don't think that distribution at bus pick up points has anywhere near the risk of putting them on buses, taking them to a school building, and putting them back on buses.

Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to change the state rule to allow for delivery. If not, I wonder if Jimmy Johns could deliver meals to all the kids in the program for less than it costs to do it within the school system.

I read that the Ames Superintendent wants to honor the contract with the bus company. Maybe using buses to bring kids to school buildings for grab-n-go lunches is just a way to get something from the bus company.

From what they've released, or spoken somewhere, it's more of a legal issue with the food distribution.
But using the bus stops would be the same problem as putting people on buses, unless there was a magical way to schedule people in and they followed it. With the things we're all seeing, that can't happen.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just got back from a five mile walk. Unlike Friday I tried to avoid the park system trails/paths and mostly walked in the street. Had 35 pedestrian "encounters' with only two, other than me, making ANY effort to distance themselves. Kudos to the pair of runners who stepped off the path as I stepped off on the other edge as they passed. Only marginally better than Fridays five mile walk when I had 57 encounters and ZERO peeps who made any effort at distancing.

Reactions: mynameisjonas

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Around here, the 17 and under and the 70 and over are the worst. They young say they won’t get it. The old say I didn’t hear anybody cough so they are fine. It’s nuts.

It may differ by the peer environment which people live. My dad lives in a senior independent living apartment in Dubuque and it is a ghost town. It is usually a vibrant community with a coffee group in morning, cards in afternoon/evening and weekly dinners. The complex management company has closed social room and cancelled all activities until April 30th.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron