Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/8c4dcccd9e3845eb89f6401f919007f2

US has 941,000 licensed beds, of which 64,400 are ICU beds. Current 49% average hospital bed utilization rate, gives us an idea for what would be needed to all non-COVID19 related disease. Lets say 10 million people are infected at any one time, 5% of which require some form of hospitalization, with 10% of those hospitalized getting intensive care (so only 1 in 200 infected gets an ICU bed). That means 500,000 hospital beds, 50,000 ICU beds, and the increased personnel to manage them. If we could turn those cases around in a week (every week), and keep at 10 million new infections a week, we could get everybody through this in 33 weeks, and probably manage things from an available bed standpoint if infections are spread fairly evenly across the country.

Let's say we do a good job at that....mortality rate might be a little elevated if we can only provide intensive care to 10% of those hospitalized (one publication stated 26% of patients needed intensive care).....but lets say we can keep it at 1.5%. If that's the case, sometime in December we could be past this thing with 4.95 million deaths in the US attributed to COVID19.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong to believe that is the best course moving forward, I'm just saying that by choosing that path you do so knowing that millions will die of respiratory failure.

Also, we are fortunate that WW2 had an established end date so everyone knew ahead of time how long they would have to ration. Really made it easier for them to buy-in for the cause....

1 in 200 needing ICU seems high considering 80% of people exhibit few symptoms.

Or are you figuring 10 million of confirmed cases and assume the 80% asymptomic never get tested?

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
In my scenario, I'm using 10 million infections every week. Tests or no tests, there is 10 million infected. Your 80% exhibiting few symptoms would make up 8 million people per week.

And as I said in the post, one publication of actual case statistics said that in the data set they used 26% of hospitalized patients required ICU treatment. I used 10% because I was being optimistic for the purposes of the example. So no I don't think 1 in 200 infections needing ICU is high. 8 million would exhibit few symptoms, 1.5 million could recover at home, 450,000 would be in standard hospital beds, and 50,000 would be in the ICU.

Change the percentages to whatever you'd like.....the fact is that even using fairly optimistic complication and fatality rates, this would put an enormous strain on the healthcare system in an ideal scenario of evenly distributing infections over time.

• Agree
Reactions: PSYclone22

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
You need to be careful here though with an older rural population and a rural healthcare system that can’t absorb this.

Yeah I see some comments about well ia is rural so we'll have fewer cases. True, but you wont be able to funnel up sick patients to dsm or IC if those hospital beds are already full. And how many county hospitals have vents and rt on staff?

Reactions: simply1

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Has Cali closed ALL non-essential businesses or not? I work at a decent sized retail store that if non-essential business were to be shut down, that would include us. For now though the company is open until government says so it seems. Traffic has slowed considerably this last week, but today alone I talked to three separate customers that were back from spring break (they flew). Government asked them to stay home but they seemed oblivious and they were mostly in the store for something to do. I’m not too concerned about getting sick myself, but the longer we stay open I can’t imagine it not spreading more.

California closed hair and nail salons, tattoo parlors yesterday, Iowa's goes into effect tomorrow. California is waiting until tomorrow to identify better what they are currently considering to be non-essential businesses, according to an AP report I read this morning. But no, they are still operating more or less as Iowa is at the moment.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
California closed hair and nail salons, tattoo parlors yesterday, Iowa's goes into effect tomorrow. California is waiting until tomorrow to identify better what they are currently considering to be non-essential businesses, according to an AP report I read this morning. But no, they are still operating more or less as Iowa is at the moment.

At least some towns were already under shelter in place last week. Thought the full state went on friday (maybe in effect on the Monday?) From what I gathered in company communications

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
At least some towns were already under shelter in place last week. Thought the full state went on friday (maybe in effect on the Monday?) From what I gathered in company communications

I thought it was Friday also, that's when it was announced. Order went into effect yesterday, according to Google. But for example, LA ordered this starting Friday.

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
So even with our efforts isolate, we've now got two kids with a cough and one of them now has a fever. Probably not Corvid-19 since I don't know where they got it. But we're being extra critical about any sort of cough.

Obviously with the testing situation we're just treating it like any cold or flu. But the household is now on full quarantine. Basically already were, but now avoiding the grocery atore.
Hope everything gets better. I live in Ames and can run to the grocery store if you need anything. That is if you are close.

• Friendly
Reactions: Die4Cy

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I sort of understand her position. But it seems like we will be headed to a complete shutdown soon enough. The sooner we do it, the sooner it is over.
I get the position, but I do not like the Governor's pleas, which focused on "if you are sick or showing symptoms, stay home." It should be for everyone to stay home unless you absolutely have to.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I get the position, but I do not like the Governor's pleas, which focused on "if you are sick or showing symptoms, stay home." It should be for everyone to stay home unless you absolutely have to.

Exactly. She’s far to focused on symptoms especially since you can pass it without symptoms.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yep and the wrong people hear that message as 'you're generally fine and just wash your hands'.

This isn't just the young people...trust me on that.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
For some reason tonight I felt a lot better about our expected outcomes. I don't know if it was reading about Germany, or avoiding most news sites, or what

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Family on channel 8 news wondering why their college freshman and his GF are in lock down in Vietnam, They let them leave last wk. Let them dumbasses stay there, till the Vietnamese govt is ready to let them come home. No reason to waste govt time to bring home idiots. Stupid Hawks.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
How long should we isolate everyone though? Every medical expert that says we need to shut everything down gives no timeline for how long that needs to go on. They have a one track mind where they are focused on one thing, the virus. If things stay shut down for too long, we could be looking at a full blown economic depression. That has to be taken into account when making decisions about how many businesses to shut down, and for how long.

The problem is that people that have no need to be out and about still are out refusing to be inconvenienced or give up business as usual. Even if people that needed to work but were in non essential jobs still worked we probably wouldn't be in bad shape. But the reality is you can't even keep **** for brains WITH symptoms from doing non essential things, and you have tons of morons out doing everyday **** making nice conduits for this virus because they aren't sick so they think it's Ok.
So there is no simple answer because people don't get it. Too many people are too dumb and selfish, and it will take lots of deaths for people to maybe get it.

However step one is not to have a press conference telling people we can manage this as long as people that are sick or have symptoms stay home.

Just think about all these rural counties with lots of elderly and little to no ICU capacity, and finite means to get people to ICUs. Imagine this thing ripping through a church in one of these rural counties. What do people think the outcome will be if 50 or 100 people needed to be hospitalized and were in critical condition all at the same time in some rural town that's 30 or more miles from a significant hospital?

JDDDCy

Dec 20, 2017
Anyone else surprised by the % of negative tests in Iowa. As of last night 93% of the tests were negative. I really thought that number would be a lot closer to 50% by now. Hopefully it stays that way. Sorry if this has already been discussed.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Anyone else surprised by the % of negative tests in Iowa. As of last night 93% of the tests were negative. I really thought that number would be a lot closer to 50% by now. Hopefully it stays that way. Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Not really surprised, based on our population density. It's a great sign though; as of March 20, South Korea's positive rate was 2.7% while Italy's was 19.8%. When you're wanting to identify all positives and isolate them you need to over test.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
My only surprise by that is how those people are getting tested.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
No. If the limit on tests is causing them only to test medical professionals and high risk people while ignoring non-high risk people who are showing symptoms it totally makes sense.

These medical professionals have have contact with COVID but has proper PPE? Test 'em and make sure they don't contribute to the spread.

This 84 year old has a fever? Test 'em. If they have it we need to start treatment immediately.

Oh, you're 24 and have a fever? Stay home and self-quarantine. Even if you have it you'll probably live. Only come into the hospital if it's absolutely necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.