Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
4PM Central, and no I'm not kidding.
200.webp

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I was curious about the Shelter in Place Essential business rules for Illinois and California. I found that there are way more "Essential Businesses" out there than I thought, in fact it'd probably be easier for them to list the "Non-Essential Businesses".

Based on what I found I would classify most businesses as Essential.

A relative owns a business and sent me over the Executive Order

You're right. "Essential" is a pretty wide net. She's in IT and info security. Keep on working

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
That’s what people who are just **** it down don’t understand. Everything in our society is so interconnected. Even some of the stuff such as sports and stuff which isn’t so much constantly essential is essential interments toy for a mentally healthy populace.
You really think so? I will be working from home, but my family and I Are ready to stay home, inside, for two weeks or more if it would help curtail the virus. I’ve got internet and Direct TV (unfortunately, but very functional) and food. As long as I keep those, I’m ready to go. Hard for me to understand, besides getting food once a week, how we, as a society, couldn’t do his.

• Agree
Reactions: PlanoClone

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
You really think so? I will be working from home, but my family and I Are ready to stay home, inside, for two weeks or more if it would help curtail the virus. I’ve got internet and Direct TV (unfortunately, but very functional) and food. As long as I keep those, I’m ready to go. Hard for me to understand, besides getting food once a week, how we, as a society, couldn’t do his.

For everyone who understands, accepts, and implements social distancing like you, there are many more people that don't care, don't believe anything will happen to them, or are just flat out ignorant. Here's some real examples from stuff I've seen on Facebook the last few days.

They think it means they need to party with their close friends because "our group is less than 10 so we'll be fine".

They think it means they need to invite just their parents over for a night of playing cards so they aren't lonely.

They think it means going shopping at Lowe's.

There are a ton of people that are very social creatures and they will ignore the advice and make up excuses why they need to be out with friends/family.

This is why America is screwed.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
I think this isn’t comparable to 9/11 in any way. That was USA versus something. This is something you can’t see.
Millions of working people (maybe 10s of millions) didn't suddenly lose their jobs. We need to find away to keep healthy people working and the older generation maybe needs to stay home and take one for team USA until treatments are found.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
If you can work from home absolutely do it. Not suggesting we shouldn’t. At the same time though in order for you to get that food grocery stores need to stay open. Trucks need to remain running to supply those stores. Warehouse workers need to keep working to load those trucks. That type of stuff keeps repeating down the supply chain.

Even stuff as simple as office supplies need to keep working so that people are able to keep working.

My main point is even the minor stuff that we can all survive without for a while is at some point necessary for a mentally healthy population. I don’t think we can stay like we are for multiple months. I am naturally a person who stays at home most of the time so I frankly haven’t had to make many changes other than not going to the grocery store as often. Even I as someone naturally inclined to stay inside and isolated needs some societal interaction to stay mentally healthy. Maybe I can survive a month or two without that but at some point even I need it.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
For the most part, I think Iowans and our leadership have handled this pretty well so far. Of course we have some inherent advantages too. The numbers would indicate ( total # of positives and +/- result ratio) we probably aren't one of the states the Feds are willing to flood with test kits right now. Victims of our own success, as it were.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
For the most part, I think Iowans and our leadership have handled this pretty well so far. Of course we have some inherent advantages too. The numbers would indicate ( total # of positives and +/- result ratio) we probably aren't one of the states the Feds are willing to flood with test kits right now. Victims of our own success, as it were.

The hard part is we still have people taking vacations and coming back to the state possibly infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.