Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Even if a national shelter in place were announced, I don't see how it would be enforced. Especially in some parts of the country...people are not going to comply.
Based on Chicago’s “stay at home” policy going on, its not really enforced. Police aren’t pulling over every car and stopping every person to ask why they are outside and where they are headed. There were hundreds of people out walking around tonight just to get some fresh air. And there was plenty of traffic, not nearly as much as usual, but still a lot. People hear “shelter in place” and assume they can’t really leave their home and everything closes. When honestly, it’s not much different than what it is now, other than non-essential businesses are forced to close. But, the fact that all essential businesses, grocery stores, gas stations, banks, pharmacies, target, fast food, pick up/carry out restaurants/bars, etc are all still open, there’s still quite a few people out and about.

That being said, I think its kind of pointless to do on a national level. Even a statewide level is overkill. It’s really only urban areas that should do it. Areas where there’s cities of 15,000+ or something. 90% of Illinois doesn’t need a shelter in place, really only Chicago and the burbs and maybe a couple other decent sized towns.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I was curious about the Shelter in Place Essential business rules for Illinois and California. I found that there are way more "Essential Businesses" out there than I thought, in fact it'd probably be easier for them to list the "Non-Essential Businesses".

Based on what I found I would classify most businesses as Essential.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
In the big picture Iowa is 35th in the nation for confirmed cases so a lock down order is a bit over-reaction at this point. Illinois is 8th and that is mostly because of Chicago which is a huge travel hub for travel and population. Also just how much would a shut down order really affect considering the largest employers in the state are essential financial and retail businesses. Frank Cownie may have good intentions but when the majority of the workforce in downtown Des Moines is financial and insurance business those people have no choice but to report to work if they don't have a work from home option.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I was curious about the Shelter in Place Essential business rules for Illinois and California. I found that there are way more "Essential Businesses" out there than I thought, in fact it'd probably be easier for them to list the "Non-Essential Businesses".

A major employer in the state and mainly Cedar Rapids has unsurprisingly been deemed as essential by the DoD. **** rolls down hill and their suppliers are now essential as well.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

Yeah, their list of non-essential businesses is a lot shorter. The ones off the top of my head they actually listed to be closed were gyms, libraries, entertainment venues, dine-in places, and public events/gatherings. And most of those were already closed before, especially with the 10 person maximum mandate.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Are malls still open? I think a shelter in place generally closes all retail.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
How do they get out of the shelter in place order once it goes into effect? Best case scenario cases peak by July or Aug, once you put this shelter at home order in place for 30 days and at the end of it the numbers are still going up, how do you justify coming out of it? You have to just keep extending it at that point with no definitive end date.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

That’s what people who are just **** it down don’t understand. Everything in our society is so interconnected. Even some of the stuff such as sports and stuff which isn’t so much constantly essential is essential interments toy for a mentally healthy populace.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman
Status
Not open for further replies.