”The Gambler” Kenny Rogers passes away

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
That was a fairly common move back in the day. I was biased but I always attributed it to they couldn't make it anymore in pop/rock so moved over to country. Obviously a dumb childish opinion then.

He actually, I think, was in some folk group(s) before the First Edition.

Correct, he started out in folk. He also played bass. "Just Dropped In" is my favorite song of his. Also, some early use of chroma key, or "green screen", for TV in that video you posted earlier (although they are using blue, which is sometimes used).

Another version of "Just Dropped In" from the Ed Sullivan Show, with live vocal on a backing track. This song is pretty hard to sing live. There are some fully live versions on YouTube that sound a little rough. Kenny with a Nehru jacket and awesome beard...great look for him!

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Saw this on the news and immediately thought I’d come here to see the thread title “The Gambler has folded”. So close.

RIP Gambler

Reactions: aauummm

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Sad news. All of the great talents of that era are getting very much up there in years now. It's likely we'll see big names like this come up on news sites with more and more frequency (which sucks, but time marches on). It's amazing to think about how many who got their country music start in the 60s and 70s and continued to be popular on the radio and on tour well into the 80s are already gone and have been for some time now. Conway Twitty (whose country recordings date back to 1956) died in 1993. Lynn Anderson died in 2015. Tammy Wynette died in 1998. Waylon Jennings (whose first recording was 1959) died in 2002. Dottie West died in 1991. Eddie Rabbit died in 1998. George Jones (whose country recordings date back to 1954) died in 2013. Merle Haggard died in 2016.

You know you're getting old when so many of the people you grew up listening to on the radio are gone (in any genre). :(

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Six Pack was good. Watched it hundreds of times as a kid. Brewster Baker couldn’t lose. And a young Diane Lane got me fired up.

Agree, and let's not forget Erin Gray....

NayT30tAxL72y2O3TeRRzR1gY3kiM-1Hc99eDS2numC2mSw0SiA-6h8k2rSQxltU4eDH8s1U-j-5Zp5F1SRacac6PpWCGt_cOs7Dzbklr_QlJac-

Reactions: Macloney and arobb

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Sad news. All of the great talents of that era are getting very much up there in years now. It's likely we'll see big names like this come up on news sites with more and more frequency (which sucks, but time marches on). It's amazing to think about how many who got their country music start in the 60s and 70s and continued to be popular on the radio and on tour well into the 80s are already gone and have been for some time now. Conway Twitty (whose country recordings date back to 1956) died in 1993. Lynn Anderson died in 2015. Tammy Wynette died in 1998. Waylon Jennings (whose first recording was 1959) died in 2002. Dottie West died in 1991. Eddie Rabbit died in 1998. George Jones (whose country recordings date back to 1954) died in 2013. Merle Haggard died in 2016.

You know you're getting old when so many of the people you grew up listening to on the radio are gone (in any genre). :(

Now THAT'S a list of country superstars

No click track. No bro country. Actual talent.... If we lose Dolly or Willie....meh.....I don't even want to think about it.

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron