Ways to help service industry types

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
funny story, Drew is actually the old Knownothing.
Don’t tell me that. I’ve always been afraid that the (way too ironically named) Knownothing was actually someone that I knew when I was on campus. And Drew was the name of a guy on my dorm floor who was famous for making out with some chick who had just given another guy a BJ.

And don’t ask me about KQ and a question about Bloom County. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: cowgirl836

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
"Plays guitar for living" is like the stereotypical **** job you don't want your daughter's boyfriend to have under the best of times and suddenly it's the one who needs the most help? :rolleyes:

No kids yet. Agree completely though. He’s most likely just like my stoner College roommate that decided he wanted to be a guitar player for a living and then went to 4 colleges and graduated from none.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Lol people hating on musicians, this is why I stopped playing live music in Des Moines. Everyone wants you to play until they have to pay you. Cheap ass Marshall Faulkners. A real musician practices at least 40 hours a week.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I don't think the garage party is a great idea. But damn people you guys are job shaming pretty hard. Some people can make a living in music just like some do in art, it's a hard road I believe till you get established though. I know a couple that actually do art for a living have their own studio and everything took them a long time to get established though.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Lol people hating on musicians, this is why I stopped playing live music in Des Moines. Everyone wants you to play until they have to pay you. Cheap ass Marshall Faulkners. A real musician practices at least 40 hours a week.

Maybe it's because it's late but I don't get the Marshall Faulkner reference. Even a really quick google search didn't help me.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I ordered lunch yesterday from a place that is way too pricey for lunch but the food is outstanding and I want him to stick around. I have contacted a couple of service industry people I know and offered to buy them groceries if needed.
If the bar was open I would probably go down, buy a beer and leave a $10 tip, but they were not open yesterday.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: aauummm and NWICY

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
One suggestion if you accumulated points for a free meal or drink or some such thing through regular purchases, if you can hold off on using them. These places need cash giving out meals based on points doesn't help them right now.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So a musician is in the service industry and considered a service industry "type"

This guy can tell an asymptomatic person with the virus

Open air events are OK as long as the opening is a big as a garage door

And working actual paying jobs to keep your home and general economy going is roughly the same as a garage party with a guitar player

Someone tag this thread. Has potential for the worst of the year consideration.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Lol people are losing their minds over this. It's gonna infect everyone eventually. Thank dear leader for where we are.

The typical ostriches are "disagreeing" this but the man and his yes men said it was a hoax for over a month.

That's not political, it's just very clearly what happened. I don't blame people who weren't paying attention back then, but they need to know reality. Nothing would have completely stopped this but calling it a hoax is possibly the worst reaction, yet that's what national leadership did. Not opinion, that's what happened.

• Creative
Reactions: jcisuclones

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The OP is an example of why we're in the position we are. People that just have no clue how viruses operate, especially this one.

We have NO idea who has this virus folks. Completely healthy people with no symptoms are testing positive and spreading it to others.

If you don't have to be around others, you shouldn't.... period!!

• Agree
Reactions: Sparkplug

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't think the garage party is a great idea. But damn people you guys are job shaming pretty hard. Some people can make a living in music just like some do in art, it's a hard road I believe till you get established though. I know a couple that actually do art for a living have their own studio and everything took them a long time to get established though.

TLDR warning...

The funny thing is, if you actually do make a living at a very odd creative job people generally don't believe you or ask what job you actually do for money. (not true here in LA where it's normal, but it was true even when I lived in Chicago)

When I was an art and design student people would ask me what I planned to do for money. If I tell people I design toys now I'll often get the, "what's your day job" question.

A huge part of being an artist who actually gets to spend your life being creative is figuring out how to get paid. I'm creative director of a toy company. I don't just sit around and make whatever I think is cool at my house and try to sell it, I had to work for other people to make it work for me. My best friend who also went to ISU but was a business major lives here in LA near me and he's a music producer for tv scores, actually did some Fox Sports music they've played during ISU games we've watched together. He didn't get there by just making exactly whatever music he wanted to make (would have been hip hop/R&B). Neither of us would have made it if we hadn't moved from our home town Sioux City, I love Sioux City but an artist who wants to make money and not have another job has to be willing to risk living somewhere more expensive.

If he was just playing whatever music he wanted and I was just drawing stuff I thought was cool we'd be working other jobs because those are million to one long shots even for very talented people.

Reactions: NWICY

Help Support Us

Become a patron