Social Distancing

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Should Parents Let Their Kids Hang Out With Friends During This "Break"?

• Yes

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 125 66.1%
  • Maybe Just 1 Friend

Votes: 37 19.6%

• Total voters

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There is something missing from the calls for social distancing, namely, how long? It seems that most experts are saying it is just a matter of time until most of us are exposed and the virus works its way through just about everyone. Is there an orderly way to "expose" people and get them on the other side of the vulnerability?

And I don't ask this as a parent who just wants his kids to go outside and play.

My wife has Stage IV lung cancer, so I view everything I touch and everyone I meet as touching and breathing on her. I'll stay on lock-down for years if necessary. However, I'm thinking seriously about who we know who is likely to be exposed (friends in the medical profession, go on cruises, etc.), who might get the virus early, and then be available to help with her care once the virus has worked through them. Right now we are keeping almost everyone away from her, including lots of people who care deeply for her and "get it" when it comes to providing support.

If all she has is me 24/7, she will soon have a case of Cycskavirus that could be life-threatening for me!

At some point, we will talk with her oncologist about it, but for now I'm just wondering about the plan beyond the immediate panic and isolation. Getting Coronavirus under control must mean more than preventing its spread. It must also address management of its spread as it works its way through society.

P.S. She is doing well, not great, but okay. And she is blowing away all the horrible stats that go along with her diagnosis. 2-1/2 years and going strong thanks to "integrative oncology" that supports overall health, not just attacks cancer.

It really comes down to slowing the spread as to not overwhelm the medical fields.

The social distancing thing I think is about as 'orderly' as you're going to get for gradual exposure.

And I don't think it's been determined whether or not this thing works its way through and then people are immune or is known for how long they're immune for.

Hoping the best for your situation regardless. Life is amazing but it's also a ****ing *****.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
we live in the country so our kids can play outside, but no friends. They've been communicating just fine through their phones. Snapchat I think.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I'm strongly discouraging hanging out with friends. Also grocery runs are solo trips.

I do plan to encourage them to get out in public open spaces as soon as the weather cooperates more. Walks or bike rides thru the city trails. Otherwise I know they are staying in contact thru various social media apps.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
I'm strongly discouraging hanging out with friends. Also grocery runs are solo trips.

I do plan to encourage them to get out in public open spaces as soon as the weather cooperates more. Walks or bike rides thru the city trails. Otherwise I know they are staying in contact thru various social media apps.
I've tried to get my kids to go on walks with me. They need to get outside and get some fresh air.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It really comes down to slowing the spread as to not overwhelm the medical fields.

The social distancing thing I think is about as 'orderly' as you're going to get for gradual exposure.

And I don't think it's been determined whether or not this thing works its way through and then people are immune or is known for how long they're immune for.

Hoping the best for your situation regardless. Life is amazing but it's also a ****ing *****.

I would really like to know more about what comes after having the virus. If they are no longer carrying it, they could become the heroes of the next wave because they can provide care without being at risk. For now, it is still a big question mark.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
I would really like to know more about what comes after having the virus. If they are no longer carrying it, they could become the heroes of the next wave because they can provide care without being at risk. For now, it is still a big question mark.
I thought I heard someone in Washington got it twice? I don’t know if that’s true or possible??

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I thought I heard someone in Washington got it twice? I don’t know if that’s true or possible??

That's what I'm afraid of. And if they can get it twice, then that means they are a carrier even after they've had it once. Darn.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Appreciate the response. I don't mean to say the two are comparable as I understand they are two different things. It'll be interesting to see what the final numbers are of infected people in the US after all is said and done.

you realize we won’t know without testing, right?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Tests are absolute being rationed here in Minnesota. If you are aren't a medical staffer or hospitalized you are getting tested. That's from the Hennepin County Medical Center management and true today unless they magically got gobs of test kits and chemicals since yesterday.

way late on this but they are absolutely being rationed here in WI as well. Prioritizing high risk individuals but many are either getting their test back a week later (short reagents and swabs) or not at all. Said they have tons of tests taken but the ability to process them timely is not there.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Lockdown is no good unless everyone completely locks down. Six foot distance is not likely exercised by kids. So the kids contact and migrate the Covid19 through the whole community if they contact an infected person. You can go to the playground with your kids and play isolated from others. Maintain distance. So the kids can get exercise and you as well. Plus think of the bonding and fun you can have together. Children can be carriers just like anyone else.

We closed the schools for a reason. Lockdown people. Isolate. Completely. Otherwise more people will die. You have to behave like everyone in your house has Covid19. So everyone is a potential carrier.

We also need to understand that Covid19 needs humans to survive and spread. By locking down and isolating we are starving Covid19. And without humans to spread to then the virus dies. We are trying to starve Covid19 and kill it so it doesn’t kill us.

Don’t feed Covid19. Kill it.

Last edited:

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
Lockdown is no good unless everyone completely locks down. Six foot distance is not likely exercised by kids. So the kids contact and migrate the Covid19 through the whole community if they contact an infected person. You can go to the playground with your kids and play isolated from others. Maintain distance. So the kids can get exercise and you as well. Plus think of the bonding and fun you can have together. Children can be carriers just like anyone else.

We closed the schools for a reason. Lockdown people. Isolate. Completely. Otherwise more people will die. You have to behave like everyone in your house has Covid19. So everyone is a potential carrier.

So the playgrounds are being sterilized?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
So the playgrounds are being sterilized?

This is where good hygiene and practices come into play. You are certainly encouraged to wipe down the playground equipment that you child plays on. Wash your child’s hands and face with soap and water before going to the playground. And after. We are only as good as the weakest link.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Look, I think the only way this resolves somewhat quickly is if we all ******* stay away from each. For example, tonight I had a FaceTime happy hour with 3 friends one of who lives next door.

and for the 1000th time, it’s not about your kids getting it it is about who they give it to. And you can have no symptoms and give it to someone.

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
This is where good hygiene and practices come into play. You are certainly encouraged to wipe down the playground equipment that you child plays on. Wash your child’s hands and face with soap and water before going to the playground. And after. We are only as good as the weakest link.

Amen if you can get away with this. Seems extra difficult and frankly unreasonable that you will be able to wipe and sanitize all the equipment. But hey, if you can more power to ya!

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Amen if you can get away with this. Seems extra difficult and frankly unreasonable that you will be able to wipe and sanitize all the equipment. But hey, if you can more power to ya!

Suppose you don’t want stores sanitizing things either. A quick wipe down of the piece of playground equipment your kid wants to play on shouldn’t be that difficult. And if you don’t, at least practice good hygiene of washing hands and face before and after play. Some people just don’t get that we are talking life and death. What we are being asked to do is not that great of a sacrifice.

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
Suppose you don’t want stores sanitizing things either. A quick wipe down of the piece of playground equipment your kid wants to play on shouldn’t be that difficult. And if you don’t, at least practice good hygiene of washing hands and face before and after play. Some people just don’t get that we are talking life and death. What we are being asked to do is not that great of a sacrifice.

What??? I'm all for everything being sanitized. My point was it's going to be extremely difficult to wipe down all of the equipment your kids will touch. All it takes is coming into one area that's infected, your child touches their face or mouth and then it's too late. That's all I'm saying.

Where u get off thinking I'm against all these precautionary measures is beyond me. Seems like you are missing my point.