INSIDER: Three grad transfers that Iowa State is targeting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
And it's also Jamie Pollards job to determine when Steve's time ends here and that's not going to be until after next year is over. So people on here can scream into their computer screens and stress out their fingers in anger all they want, that's not going to change. Might as well hope we get better and show support while we're at it because putting yourself through endless misery isn't really helping lol.

Yeah. Pointing out that our program is in bad shape and our coach isn’t getting the job done isn’t exactly my idea of “endless misery.” It’s also not mutually exclusive with hoping our team and program improves. You can do both. In fact, that is where every Cyclone fan I know is at this off-season.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If you can find optimism in a coach that couldn't come close to getting the best out of a roster that had Lard, Wigginton, and Talley coming off the bench, and multiple future pros, then you're a bigger optimist than I am. That was arguably our most talented roster ever and it was apparent and discussed ad nauseam that in-game coaching/adjustments were an issue throughout the year. Prohm requires a good deal of talent to cover his deficiencies. We had it last year and underperformed. He's had ample time to establish culture, buy-in, and roster identity. He's still trying to figure it out and that's not acceptable.
I must've missed how good of a player Talley was lol. Lard couldn't handle being in college and was constantly getting in trouble in different ways off the court. Wigginton was on the bench because our offense was rolling at the time with Halliburton starting. Have you ever heard of the phrase "peaking too early"? Yeah that's exactly what happened last year with our team. We peaked WAY too early. Last year was a solid year overall in which we underperformed in the NCAA tournament. That's it. If you think we should've won the conference outright or competed at the end for the outright title, then you believed last year's team was better or as good as all of Fred's teams were. I didn't.

I agree that this year is unacceptable and being good one year and bad the next is unacceptable, but you're talking about a span of 3 years in which you would like a coach to be fired. And I think that's quite extreme.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
This season was over a lot longer than a week ago. Sorry, ill try another one you AG nerds can understand:

He can't find anyone new, so he is going to have to go home to his small town after college and talk himself into marrying the chick from high school he finger blasted in the back of an 88 Chevy after a football game. She smokes a pack a day, buys bottom level booze, once did some stuff with his cousin, works hourly at Dairy Queen and has opinions on " the minorities in the apartment over there"

That one didn't work either, what I'm saying is, Prohm isn't going to be able to just get whomever he wants. The player is going to have to want to come here, and other than immediate playing time, what can he offer?

You mean other than a history of getting PG's and others into the NBA, playing in the Big XII, immediate PT, and Hilton Magic? Can't think of a single thing.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah. Pointing out that our program is in bad shape and our coach isn’t getting the job done isn’t exactly my idea of “endless misery.” It’s also not mutually exclusive with hoping our team and program improves. You can do both. In fact, that is where every Cyclone fan I know is at this off-season.

Thank you. I don’t have much faith that Prohm is the right guy for the program, but I’ll always support the program, mainly the kids that chose to come play for my school.

I save the “out for blood” approach for my pro teams :p

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
And exactly what is it that you bring to the program? Besides pissing on it every chance you get. And, since you're so proficient at basketball, whom would you recommend as our next head basketball coach...realistically? How many years would you give him to produce? And what exactly would you consider 'produce'? Serious questions for someone with serious concerns.

Not proficient, just knowledgeable enough to call this a horrible hire since year 1. TJ, 5 years after the cupboard is inevitably left bare. 2 NCAA tournament appearances or 1 with obvious progression to the program.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Most of the anti-Prohm people on here have wanted Steve gone since the moment he stepped on this campus lol. He wasn't Fred Hoiberg and the next person was going to be plagued by that unless he did better than Fred. Any sort of stagnancy or struggles and everyone would get their pitch forks out and light the torches. The next coach after Prohm will be the complete opposite because everyone is going to say he's picking up the pieces where Prohm left things. There was a thread started to fire Prohm after we won 23 games for God sake lol.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Thank you. I don’t have much faith that Prohm is the right guy for the program, but I’ll always support the program, mainly the kids that chose to come play for my school.

I save the “out for blood” approach for my pro teams :p

My friend, as bummed as I am about where we are at, I was still going crazy and into every play in our first day conference tournament game. That’s just how we Cyclones are!

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Most of the anti-Prohm people on here have wanted Steve gone since the moment he stepped on this campus lol. He wasn't Fred Hoiberg and the next person was going to be plagued by that unless he did better than Fred. Any sort of stagnancy or struggles and everyone would get their pitch forks out and light the torches. The next coach after Prohm will be the complete opposite because everyone is going to say he's picking up the pieces where Prohm left things. There was thread started to fire Prohm after we won 23 games for God sake lol.

JFC WE DO NOT CARE THAT HE IS NOT HOIBERG FOR THE 100TH TIME.

Most of us dont even want Fred back. Quit pedaling this ******** lie

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
JFC WE DO NOT CARE THAT HE IS NOT HOIBERG FOR THE 100TH TIME.

Most of us dont even want Fred back. Quit pedaling this ******** lie

Thank you. It’s not Hoiberg specifically we want - it’s a return to the winning basketball program we had when he was coach! That’s a no-brainer. I’d be thrilled with any coach ( including Fred or Prohm) who could get us back to that level of at least close to it. I just have zero faith that Prohm can do that based on his work to date and the current trajectory of the program.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
If Prohm is the head coach, the maximum amount that still gets him fired.
And there it is. You don't want ISU to be successful next year if it means Steve Prohm is successful next year. I've lived through 40 years of bad ISU sports and coaches, and I never went into a season hoping we'd lose enough for the coach to get fired, even when I was "sure" we had the wrong guy. I cannot relate to that.

Edit: On reflection, there is some logic to that. You don't want to be stuck with mediocrity as a ceiling. I still don't relate, but I can see why someone would feel that way. But you might want to give some slack to the guys who want to remain optimistic and hope for the best. There's really no harm in that.

Last edited:

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
I really never open the off-topic threads. Are there a bunch of "fire Prohm" posts in those as well?