Friday OT #2 - The World's On Fire, How 'Bout Yours?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Eff it, I'm already working full-time from home and attempting to homeschool the kids. I don't have a ton more energy. What's on your mind? Friday confession/random/whatever. Hit it.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm a little concerned that drinking isn't even fun right now. Drinking while with friends, grilling, watching a game, etc. is awesome. Drinking alone watching Chopped is less awesome.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Confession: our exchange student is being sent home early and nobody in our house is broken up about it. Having her here has been positive overall but she's a very selfish person.

• Friendly
Reactions: BoxsterCy and Angie

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Confession: our exchange student is being sent home early and nobody in our house is broken up about it. Having her here has been positive overall but she's a very selfish person.

Just curious where was she from and was she used to privilege before she came to visit?

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Looking to sell the house in IA this summer and move into a condo or townhouse in an actual town/city with grocery, restaurants, stop lights etc.

Been watching one on Realtor.com and hoping it would languish so I could sweep in later - make a low ball offer - and WIN. Looks like it's no longer listed, so will have to develop Plan B, I guess.

Reactions: Angie

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Like sitting at home exciting? I guess we could say what we are hoarding. TP is the obvious since everyone is.

Not hoarding, it the only thing we are running “low” on is Smartfood white cheddar popcorn. I currently have two bags. My mom was going to Fareway this morning and asked if we needed anything. More popcorn!

Reactions: NWICY and Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Really wondering when I'll be able to simply visit my OG home in Iowa again, or see family etc. I was going about once a month or two to check up on my Dad but if I'm a carrier with no symptoms, I put him at high risk.

Optimistically looking at like July now but I'm not even sure that's possible, which is hard.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not hoarding, it the only thing we are running “low” on is Smartfood white cheddar popcorn. I currently have two bags. My mom was going to Fareway this morning and asked if we needed anything. More popcorn!

I was at the store two days ago and mad that there was no hamburger. Got the last pound left and it was like 94% lean (I usually go 85/90 area for lean, many times will mix the 94 and 85 to get around 90). No pork loins either, was going to smoke one so I got a couple pork butts. Come home to put the meat in the freezer and find where all the hamburger went, my wife was hoarding it. We are a lot lower on our beef inventory (used to by a side but have stopped doing that since the seller started running them really fat and there was a lot of waste, IMO) so we are kinda getting back to normal I guess.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
The change to "working from home" has stressed the home internet enough that I had to upgrade.
The dogs think this is wonderful. I'm not so sure it will be once I start hosting zoom meetings for class questions.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I was at the store two days ago and mad that there was no hamburger. Got the last pound left and it was like 94% lean (I usually go 85/90 area for lean, many times will mix the 94 and 85 to get around 90). No pork loins either, was going to smoke one so I got a couple pork butts. Come home to put the meat in the freezer and find where all the hamburger went, my wife was hoarding it. We are a lot lower on our beef inventory (used to by a side but have stopped doing that since the seller started running them really fat and there was a lot of waste, IMO) so we are kinda getting back to normal I guess.

I never used to buy any ground beef at the store because my parents always gave us some. I don’t even know how many steers they would butcher (enough for two extended families), there was always meat at the locker and in the freezer. Even when they retired from cattle they would still buy from their meat locker when they had sales. That stopped about 2-3 yrs ago and I would just buy as needed.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Just curious where was she from and was she used to privilege before she came to visit?
She is from Denmark. I wouldn't say that she is used to privilege. She's from a smaller town in Jutland and her parents aren't exactly rich. It's more about her expectation to get something for nothing. Example: Our daughter (only child) plays a club sport and we had a travel tournament to attend. She told us she didn't want to go because "her parents didn't pay all this money for her to watch" sports all weekend. Several conversations about being part of a family as opposed to being a roommate didn't change anything.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie and NWICY