How does Javon Johnson look?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Johnson nowhere to be found in Jeff Borzellos top 50 transfers eligible for 2020-21. He's just a guy who gets paid to write about college basketball, I know, but still... keep expectations tempered

College basketball transfer rankings for 2020-21 and 2021-22 https://es.pn/2Di4NXB
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

But he is on John Goodman's at number 50. Johnson wont save next year but considering there were over 500+ transfers last year Javian was a solid get.

https://watchstadium.com/ranking-the-best-transfers-in-college-basketball-this-offseason-04-22-2019/
50) Javan Johnson, 6-7, 200, F, Soph, Troy
Stats: 10.4 ppg, 4.2 rpg
Scout’s take: “The kid has huge upside. No one knows much about him, but he will help a high-major. Has the size and skill.”
Schools: COMMITTED TO IOWA STATE

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
How does he look? He looks like a starter next year.

Whether he should be will be determined in the fall.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I saw this guy out a couple times and was like “is this guy seriously what we recruit?” Toothpick thin. I literally expect nothing from him. He didn’t put up good numbers at troy and now he’s living the life at a p5 school. So I see why he’s not in any sit out rankings per ESPN

I have told this story before on here. I felt the same thing about a kid when I met him the day he committed to ISU. He didn’t look like much and I think everyone around was being polite to him because of who’s tailgate we were at. I was concerned because he seemed small, no more than 6’4. I thought to myself who is this guy because I at the time hadn’t heard of him and by the looks of him I thought I knew why I hadn’t heard of him. He didn’t look like the type of recruit to get excited about. Even though I didn’t express my concerns at the time and only thought about these things in my head I look over my shoulder every day for thinking of them because if you insult this kid in a dream you better wake up and apologize. His name was Dustin Hogue. So be careful about the “look” of a guy.

ChickenNuggetMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
I've read it and not seeing people expecting him to go off

Maybe not go off, but there are many, including CW, expect him to start.

Put me in the camp of thinking that’s a bit optimistic, unless we literally don’t have any other players at that position. Which could be possible.

• Agree
Reactions: Drew0311

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
I have told this story before on here. I felt the same thing about a kid when I met him the day he committed to ISU. He didn’t look like much and I think everyone around was being polite to him because of who’s tailgate we were at. I was concerned because he seemed small, no more than 6’4. I thought to myself who is this guy because I at the time hadn’t heard of him and by the looks of him I thought I knew why I hadn’t heard of him. He didn’t look like the type of recruit to get excited about. Even though I didn’t express my concerns at the time and only thought about these things in my head I look over my shoulder every day for thinking of them because if you insult this kid in a dream you better wake up and apologize. His name was Dustin Hogue. So be careful about the “look” of a guy.
Dustin hogue is a wayyyy different player than this kid. Just like Ejim. All I’m saying is that if you haven’t heard of this guy blowing up practices like shayok and think he’s coming in and being a huge contributor then I want what you’re on. And yes I know per prohm he can play “multiple positions” lol

• Agree
Reactions: Drew0311

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Dustin hogue is a wayyyy different player than this kid. Just like Ejim. All I’m saying is that if you haven’t heard of this guy blowing up practices like shayok and think he’s coming in and being a huge contributor then I want what you’re on. And yes I know per prohm he can play “multiple positions” lol

Believe me I’m not saying he is Dustin. My point is we don’t know for sure. I haven't heard anything either and I am not holding my breath.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'd absolutely take another Hogue on next year's squad. That being said, I'm not going to be expecting Johnson to be that guy. If he's Darrell Bowie with a better 3 pt % I think I'll be happy

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
You will be happy with 6 points and 4 rebounds per game?
Maybe happy was not the right word, but I think it's important to keep expectations in check, so that is what I'm choosing to do. And I did say better 3 point shooter than Bowie, so more like 7 and 4

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Maybe happy was not the right word, but I think it's important to keep expectations in check, so that is what I'm choosing to do. And I did say better 3 point shooter than Bowie, so more like 7 and 4
I guess better is pretty subjective. Bowie made 17 threes total in 4 years of college basketball, but did shoot 33.3 % at ISU. You are correct though. We shouldn't be expecting him to be 20 and 10 guy. Unfortunately for him and prohm, that is what we need.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
If he can be a 40% 3 point shooter next year (43% his freshman year, 35% his sophomore year), then he will help out a lot. He doesn't have to average 15 to make an impact; if teams need to respect his 3 point shot, it helps spread the floor for everyone else.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron