What happened to the 2019-2020 recruiting class?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
You want to know what's mildly depressing in hind sight? The de-commitment of McKinley Wright. That dude is one of the best PGs in college basketball as a junior for Colorado right now. Caught a bit of their game vs Oregon last week, big win. He is a stud and would be lethal with Tyrese and Bolton. He decommited after Lindell signed as I recall. Wouldn't mind having that one back.

WE didn't let him sign, he wanted to but we were waiting for other guys. We had LW and McNeil as higher priorities, neither an actual PG, that's probably some misidentification by the staff who thought LW could be our PG over Wright. That's the only thing the staff could possibly get flack for about that situation. At the time though, we would all have taken those two over Wright. It's easy to criticize in hindsight.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
You want to know what's mildly depressing in hind sight? The de-commitment of McKinley Wright. That dude is one of the best PGs in college basketball as a junior for Colorado right now. Caught a bit of their game vs Oregon last week, big win. He is a stud and would be lethal with Tyrese and Bolton. He decommited after Lindell signed as I recall. Wouldn't mind having that one back.

The staff wouldn’t take the commit because they were waiting on LW’s decision. It was a non-commitable offer which hasn’t set too well with the Minneapolis AAU circuit. It’s going to be real tough for this staff to make any headway in Minnesota which is a border state that produces no less than 6-7 DI players every year.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
You seriously don't think this staff pursued Carton? We should also have a guard on our team that backed out of his LOI late in the cycle. $hit happens.

I said he should have been pursued harder, not that they didn't at all. As far as the other 2 I was just looking at production this year vs recruiting ranking. They were lower than Leech and Anderson and are out performing them. Just examples of misses at the bottom that no one can predict.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
It's not like Leech and Anderson were these huge below the radar reaches, these guys were both being recruited by quite a few P5 teams. Prohms recruiting has been fine.

Its on Prohm to accurately evaluate the recruits he signed. And actually both of them were lower rated recruits and there was not huge competition with a bunch of other good schools.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Anderson and Leech were forced out because we had two better recruits that needed scholarships. Anderson and Leech weren’t going to see playing time on a terrible team.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Anderson and Leech were forced out because we had two better recruits that needed scholarships. Anderson and Leech weren’t going to see playing time on a terrible team.

That's not true. Nobody got a scholarship after they bolted. No reason to force them out.

• Agree
Reactions: UnCytely

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Prohm has recruited well overall, and as other have mentioned, probably planned on having at least one of Wigginton/THT back at the time he was recruiting the 2019-20 class. He probably thought adding a couple, well 4 really, developmental type freshman would be fine, because they'd have at least a year to work them in before needing serious contributions from them. That didn't happen.
Anderson and Leech saw the writing on the wall, that they were going to be asked to contribute in ways they knew they weren't ready. It's a bit hard for me to fathom that they weren't even up to the level of Grill and Jackson, but they left for a reason. Either the talent level wasn't up to par, or they just didn't want to sit on a bench. I find the latter a bit hard to believe though.

FWIW, I think Iowa State still has a connection to Leech, who is now at IA Western. Could still end up here in a year or two, if he's actually any good.

Anderson was offered by some decent schools including Kansas State, Xavier, Fla. State, and Georgia among others. So, Prohm wasn't the only one to misjudge his abilities. Then again, he was sick before the start of practice so that might have played a bigger role than we know. We'll find out more next year when he finally takes the court.

Leech's leg injury may have been more serious than anticipated, but a school like ISU has to take more gambles than other schools. He was offered by KU, Missouri and Washington, so can't say his talent level was misjudged by Prohm. He still may be able to play at pre-injury levels, time will tell.

isu83

May 5, 2010
Hindsight is 20/20. The guys that left are gone. After thinking about this Prohm as recruited quite well overall as a few others have noted. Grill leaving might not be a bad thing. Wright backing out is unfortunate. Not prohms fault though.