PODCAST: On the transfers of Griffin, Lewis & Grill

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
We lost 3 players who combined averaged 11 points and 5.6 rebounds per game. I am more worried about how good the next batch of guys we get are actually going to be. The three we lost are the three I didn't mind losing. Hopefully this encourages some real players to be able to come in and get some Playing time.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The 3 we lost weren't program changers but Zion and TL were the two highest rated recruits on the team. Their lack of development is the concern. Leech and Anderson were reaches, even Grill was more of a great athlete with bball potential but those two were supposed to be good. You can make a direct correlation to their lack of development and this seasons struggles. We desperately needed the players each were supposed to be.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
How do you get better guys when it is this late in the game and you have so many suddenly leaving? Unless they have been planning this and have some options available.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
How do you get better guys when it is this late in the game and you have so many suddenly leaving? Unless they have been planning this and have some options available.

Because of quarantine and schools all being shutdown players can't take school visits, and coaches really aren't allowed to go on the road. So it's a crappy time to enter the portal.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

This is the best time to hit. A team with a lot of minutes to give and four open scholarships. We can land guys who want to play together. Grab a Juco, two grad transfers(or one immediately eligible with waiver) and a sit out for example.

Spring is harder to recruit when you’re already sitting pretty.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Just wanted to say that both Chris and Jared have done an unbelievable job with the bball podcasts this year - its not easy to do during this kind of season.

i know both of these guys have inside information that they need to withold, and yet they still do a great job of keeping it professional and as objective and as honest as possible.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

I think even the "fire him yesterday group" would begrudgingly concede Prohm signed a solid traditional class in the fall. Now he's tasked with finding experienced replacements that upgrade the roster back to competitive. That will be step 2.

The final task of course is win or pack the bags.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Just wanted to say that both Chris and Jared have done an unbelievable job with the bball podcasts this year - its not easy to do during this kind of season.

i know both of these guys have inside information that they need to withold, and yet they still do a great job of keeping it professional and as objective and as honest as possible.

Thank you. This means a lot. As much as y’all might not realize it sometimes, we all want the same thing and that’s for Iowa State to have success. We’re all Iowa Staters to the core. There are a lot of dynamics that go into what we do but we try our best to keep it real. I think we do that well most of the time.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
I dont understand the prohm haters, they say we need more talent and that's his fault, but when 3 players that were bottom of the rotation transfer they lose their minds. Do you want to get better? Or be loyal to marginal players, cant have it both ways

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I dont understand the prohm haters, they say we need more talent and that's his fault, but when 3 players that were bottom of the rotation transfer they lose their minds. Do you want to get better? Or be loyal to marginal players, cant have it both ways
You are completely missing the point. Why did we bring in 5 players just to transfer out? That’s half the damn team that’s not good enough to play yet they were here.
Leech, Anderson, Grill, Lewis, Griffin. Wake up dude.

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
You are completely missing the point. Why did we bring in 5 players just to transfer out? That’s half the damn team that’s not good enough to play yet they were here.
Leech, Anderson, Grill, Lewis, Griffin. Wake up dude.

**** Leech and Anderson, they were here for an hour and a half and ran like *******.

Grill 3rd in the depth chart at the 2 behind a FR & SO. Guessing he didn't want to play out position his entire career.

Lewis, couldn't/wouldn't put forth the effort need to defend Big XII forwards.

Griffin 2 years in he couldn't work into a rotation even when we were down to 8 players. I believe seeing Johnson all year was the push he needed to know it wasn't happening.

Looking back Leech was a project due to injury.

Anderson was a fall back when we couldn't land a legacy. Needed a body not knowing how Young would hold up otherwise he probably wouldn't of been offered.

Lewis and Griffin not sure there were any red flags. They just never got to where they needed to.

In the end I'm not going to get worked up about what I can't control. Prohm's got one more chance whether you like it or not. I choose to hope for the best.

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
When 4 star recruits aren't panning out, you do have to look at what else is going on. Both Lewis and Griffin were highly regarded coming out of high school. We were all thrilled when they committed to ISU. If CSP can't develop players who come in with talent he is doomed at ISU. Unlikely to be able to load up on 5 star talent every year.