Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
I have no doubt it's difficult for Iowa to get tests right now. But they can't even bring themselves to say that's what's actually happening. Instead they've now taken to arguing that having no tests really isn't even a big deal because if you're sick you should stay home and the treatment recommendations aren't any different whether you're tested or not. Aside from being a condescending answer, there are plenty of other reasons why testing is important that go far beyond notifying you whether you have coronavirus or not.

Just as impotent were their answers about personal protective equipment and ventilators. Trump has made it clear to governors that they're on their own to procure these items. So what's the plan?
Exactly. There is no plan and we’re supposed to be OK with it. There is no mention of a plan of additional testing, meanwhile labs in your own state are making 500k test kits a day. I hope we start testing rather than dragging this out over months instead of weeks.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Are there doctors/hospitals in Iowa currently complaining about the lack of testing?
A physician relative of mine has been incredibly frustrated by the lack of testing. When they kept saying ‘there’s no community spread yet’, well, they weren’t allowing testing of anyone that hadn’t traveled so of course they weren’t seeing any.

IIRC I was told a pregnant mother with a fever still couldn’t meet guidelines to get tested. That seems crazy to me.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
A physician relative of mine has been incredibly frustrated by the lack of testing. When they kept saying ‘there’s no community spread yet’, well, they weren’t allowing testing of anyone that hadn’t traveled so of course they weren’t seeing any.

IIRC I was told a pregnant mother with a fever still couldn’t meet guidelines to get tested. That seems crazy to me.

A 23 year old in the hospital with pneumonia couldn't get tested in Iowa.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Supposedly Reynolds was going to announce a 15-day shelter in place today but got cold feet before the press conference and backed off. That is why there seemed to be no real point to it - no new information. Several department heads were briefed about the lock down and shared with a few employees.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Supposedly Reynolds was going to announce a 15-day shelter in place today but got cold feet before the press conference and backed off. That is why there seemed to be no real point to it - no new information. Several department heads were briefed about the lock down and shared with a few employees.
So this could still happen if cases continue to rise here

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

So we'll get that tomorrow then. That's her MO.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

She not only didn't announce it, she specifically said it was not happening in response to a question.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUAgronomist

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
A friend who works on a EMS crew told me they have a gag order. Not to speak of things until Gov. Reynolds publicly announces first.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We were told Tuesday in our school meeting that the Centerville hospital had 4 kits for testing, that the Corydon hospital had none, but were hoping to get them that day.

If you feel think you have the virus, take your temp. and then call into the office, do not just schedule an appointment or go to the ER.

We are totally unprepared for this, and its going to get worse before it gets better.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yes, a large number. And growing numbers complaining about running low on basic but critical supplies.

very low on masks here. Request (though not sure it's 100% legit) asking for people who can sew masks, awaiting a pattern from the hospital.

Friend of a friend is in pediatric oncology up here and they were being asked to reuse masks 5x before tossing - last weekend.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Just went to order a pickup order from hyvee. It said 'no times available' from more than one hyvee.

Sweet.

I'm sure their limited hours arent helping. I honestly don't get the choice of a bunch of stores to limit their hours. It seems like that just makes the crowd that much more, making spread worse.

• Agree
Reactions: ruflosn and Spam

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Just went to order a pickup order from hyvee. It said 'no times available' from more than one hyvee.

Sweet.

I'm sure their limited hours arent helping. I honestly don't get the choice of a bunch of stores to limit their hours. It seems like that just makes the crowd that much more, making spread worse.

i went to hyvee today (first time in public since Saturday), they were low on lots of things. Perishables seemed fine but any sort of staples were low or out. And this was when they were open.

Status
Not open for further replies.