Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I had a friend tell me yesterday that the US has lagged behind China about 1 to 2 months on the outbreak of this virus.
If that is true, and I believe it will be, that would put the time of the highest number of cases around the time that Reynolds said the schools would look to begin opening again on April 13th.

We may be finished with school this year.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
How about the fact that Sean Payton, the head coach of the New Orleans Saints, can feel bad on Sunday, get tested for the coronovirus on Monday and have the results today while Reynolds blabbers on for the umpteen time about this and that while never answering the question why the state of Iowa still has less than 500 tests.
Is that a state issue? There are a shortage nationally and frankly the state of Iowa hasn’t really proven to be that needy for them. I’d rather the tests go to States that are seeing issues so they can get it under control and we don’t have to do anything more than we already are.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I fee like everyone just started freaking out about the governors press conference for no reason. Would it be nice to have enough rest yeah but at this point we seem to be fairing relatively well. I know the state has 44 confirmed test but has any of those cases even needed the ICU yet? We need to continue to be cautious because other states are experiencing issues right now but frankly I think we’ve had a solid response.

I think Iowa has done an OK job. I think they've been a bit slow on some things (i.e. on Saturday with one case of community transmission no school should close, on Sunday with 3, schools should close for 4 weeks and Monday at 4:30 no plan to close restaurants, Tuesday at 10:30, they are closed)

But the last two press conferences I've watched, I'm a bit disturbed. They keep acting like you can only pass this if you are sick. That goes against everyone else I've heard. And if true, why are they closing everything? They also don't want to ramp up testing by comparing it to the flu and saying that if you have a mild COVID 19 case you should stay at home and so who cares if you get tested. That goes against common sense. For example, if we tested more people more people would stay home.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I liken this to a sprained ankle. Do I need to go to the doctor or can I just buy an ace bandage, elevate and ice? The same here, most of us might feel bad, but what does getting a test do for you? Other than the fact that you now should probably warn every person you came in contact over the last 7 days. If I get a fever I'm going to do that anyway. To me, I'm staying away from any healthcare facility unless I have lower respiratory or other sever issues. Staying home is the best thing for all of us right now. Protects you and others.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I liken this to a sprained ankle. Do I need to go to the doctor or can I just buy an ace bandage, elevate and ice? The same here, most of us might feel bad, but what does getting a test do for you? Other than the fact that you now should probably warn every person you came in contact over the last 7 days. If I get a fever I'm going to do that anyway. To me, I'm staying away from any healthcare facility unless I have lower respiratory or other sever issues. Staying home is the best thing for all of us right now. Protects you and others.
How often do you have a sprained ankle for 4-10 days without knowing it and during that time do people near you have a chance to catch that sprained ankle?

Yes, staying home is the best option, but some people are morons, and even for us non-morons you have to occasionally leave to get essentials.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah, but the whole time, you generally knew you had a sprained ankle.

Staying home without knowing whether or not you have it, or whether or not you're immune etc. makes it really hard to feel safe going anywhere even after a quarantine.

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
I think Iowa has done an OK job. I think they've been a bit slow on some things (i.e. on Saturday with one case of community transmission no school should close, on Sunday with 3, schools should close for 4 weeks and Monday at 4:30 no plan to close restaurants, Tuesday at 10:30, they are closed)

But the last two press conferences I've watched, I'm a bit disturbed. They keep acting like you can only pass this if you are sick. That goes against everyone else I've heard. And if true, why are they closing everything? They also don't want to ramp up testing by comparing it to the flu and saying that if you have a mild COVID 19 case you should stay at home and so who cares if you get tested. That goes against common sense. For example, if we tested more people more people would stay home.
This is exactly the point. If we don’t get as many tests as possible administered, things will drag out longer than they need to be. South Korea has done 290,000 tests to our 60,000 and both countries had their first case on the same day. Now, the state says they have a total of 400 tests. I’m not looking for perfection, but the level of incompetence is becoming annoying.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
-For patients that meet the Iowa Department of Public Health criteria, the state hygienic lab can turn around a test in a little more than a day.
-For patients that don't meet that criteria, depending on the hospital/clinic the tests go to a private lab and the results come back in a week.
-In-house testing is being pursued by some hospitals/clinics and is hoped to be in place by mid April.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
This is exactly the point. If we don’t get as many tests as possible administered, things will drag out longer than they need to be. South Korea has done 290,000 tests to our 60,000 and both countries had their first case on the same day. Now, the state says they have a total of 400 tests. I’m not looking for perfection, but the level of incompetence is becoming annoying.

Im guessing the feds are regulating where those go. Priority is probably Seattle, NY, Cali, and other major population areas.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I had a friend tell me yesterday that the US has lagged behind China about 1 to 2 months on the outbreak of this virus.
If that is true, and I believe it will be, that would put the time of the highest number of cases around the time that Reynolds said the schools would look to begin opening again on April 13th.

We may be finished with school this year.

That seems really early, a lot of what I’ve seen has cases peaking in late summer. Which brings up the issue of how the hell do you get out of this quarantine state? They can’t really expect everything to remain shut down until Aug

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
-For patients that meet the Iowa Department of Public Health criteria, the state hygienic lab can turn around a test in a little more than a day.
-For patients that don't meet that criteria, depending on the hospital/clinic the tests go to a private lab and the results come back in a week.
-In-house testing is being pursued by some hospitals/clinics and is hoped to be in place by mid April.
Wonder why the delay, hospital here is doing its own testing note and ramping up. UW in Seattle did this as well and is going.

Reactions: isutrevman

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Wonder why the delay, hospital here is doing its own testing note and ramping up. UW in Seattle did this as well and is going.
Not sure. Just relaying info

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

I have no doubt it's difficult for Iowa to get tests right now. But they can't even bring themselves to say that's what's actually happening. Instead they've now taken to arguing that having no tests really isn't even a big deal because if you're sick you should stay home and the treatment recommendations aren't any different whether you're tested or not. Aside from being a condescending answer, there are plenty of other reasons why testing is important that go far beyond notifying you whether you have coronavirus or not.

Just as impotent were their answers about personal protective equipment and ventilators. Trump has made it clear to governors that they're on their own to procure these items. So what's the plan?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
6 new cases yesterday, Governor has a presser at 3:30, I honestly don't expect to see the Governor proclamation to expire at the end of the month. Wait until the idiots return from spring break on south beach to their hometown's and spreading God only knows what.

Hopefully it will be mainly herpes, syphillis, and gonorrhea.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I’ve listened to the daily updates from 5 or 6 states for the last week and to say Iowa is on a different level frustrating and discomforting is an understatement. Both Reynolds and the IDPH lady sound batshit crazy at times and uneducated at others. But either way, they always try to talk down to people.

Most of the things they say go counter to so many experts and other governors and for some reason Iowans aren’t throwing a bigger fit about it.
Please respect to OP's request for no politics...oh, wait, Sorry OP. :D

Reactions: Jer

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That seems really early, a lot of what I’ve seen has cases peaking in late summer. Which brings up the issue of how the hell do you get out of this quarantine state? They can’t really expect everything to remain shut down until Aug

No, but I think maybe they can wait until this first wave happens and then start to get everyone back on line. Like maybe they can start the restaurants up again in 4 weeks with very limited numbers. School is pretty much done until September anyway and hopefully companies will take their time getting everyone back in the office. I'm hopeful that if we take things VERY SERIOUSLY, maybe we can start getting back to normal slowly in 4-6 weeks. I think it is important to remember that the reason we are self isolating is not to keep from getting it ourselves, but to keep others from getting it.

Not to be too political, but this is why the lack of testing and the gov't (and all of us) not taking this seriously enough has hurt us.

Status
Not open for further replies.