Are you still working?

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I am a manufacturing engineer and still working. I have a laptop, but it would be hard for me to do most of my job from home. We may be running at reduced staff with the bulk of our customer base (Ford and GM) shutting down for at least 2 weeks.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonetrent

weeterkane

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2009
DM
Work for large bank, and we are mostly still in the office. They say they are working on something, but i doubt it. Not real comfortable working in a building with 4000 other people. Ugh.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Manage purchasing for a grain mill and ethanol plant in southern WI. Plants are still fully operational, but all other functions (sales, accounting, etc.) have moved to primarily remote at this point.

Ethanol is going to take a beating, so we'll see how long we remain running at full capacity. I know other plants are shutting down or greatly reducing production. Prices are hitting all-time lows. I read an article this week saying expectation is 15-20% reduction in gasoline usage during this crisis and that would be ~120-170 million bushel reduction in corn demand from ethanol plants. Could get messy.

Milling is not going to slow down though. We sell mostly into large food producers and to then to USDA foreign aid programs. Food producers are starting to order like they would for Thanksgiving holidays. Not sure how USDA buying will react. I'm guessing there could be additional foreign aid needed depending on how this impacts other countries, but we could be spending our resources cleaning up our own mess before increasing foreign aid.

Reactions: Cdiedrick

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Civil Engineer. Still in the office now, but I suspect that will change to work from home fairly soon.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm trying to work from home but honestly it's extremely tough with kids running around. I might go in on the weekends to get my work done.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I'm trying to work from home but honestly it's extremely tough with kids running around. I might go in on the weekends to get my work done.

Our daycare shut down....so I feel you

Now our question is will we get billed $1650 for April with the school closed down

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Buyer for a small family owned food distributor that mainly serves bars and restaurants in Iowa, Illinois, and Minnesota... so yeah... I'm still "working" as in "working to find homes for all of these perishable products that are going to go bad because bars and restaurants are shut down". I'm lucky that I'm considered "essential staff" and that I still have a job to come to right now, but its scary times here currently.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I already work from home 90% of the time. Work in the area of handling disability insurance, life insurance, etc, making sure people in need keep getting their checks, so pretty essential in that regard. A ton of coworkers are young moms so I'm assuming a flood of reduced hours, flex schedules, etc are coming soon, so probably they will want me to work as much as I'm able. Should be pretty steady if not highly stressful (do your own job + do other peoples jobs a little bit, too)

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I work remotely anyway, except for 25% travel. Obviously no travel now, but otherwise little change for me.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Working as a pimp is completely reliant on personal contact, so hello unemployment check
source.gif

Reactions: dosry5

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
I already work from home 90% of the time. Work in the area of handling disability insurance, life insurance, etc, making sure people in need keep getting their checks, so pretty essential in that regard. A ton of coworkers are young moms so I'm assuming a flood of reduced hours, flex schedules, etc are coming soon, so probably they will want me to work as much as I'm able. Should be pretty steady if not highly stressful (do your own job + do other peoples jobs a little bit, too)

i work in the same industry. Primarily worked in office but moved to 100% remote this week, for an unknown duration. Has been rather interesting getting this all figured out, with my kids being off as well. Just grateful to have a job and not worry about uncertainty.

Reactions: khardbored

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
The hens keep laying eggs, so I'm still here and because of the shortages, longer hours with the same pay!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I’m off today and tomorrow to watch basketball :(

I have worked from home two days per week for years. And let’s just say I work for someone who SHOULD be at the forefront of learning people to telework. Until Wednesday, we were allowed 100% telework but it was not encouraged. Now it is encouraged.

We travel a lot and until Wednesday that was going on as normal too.

my job should be pretty secure. But the ultimate boss is a real incompetent *******, so who knows.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Cell and laptop so all is good. All our sales are done via phone or email. Warehouses are still shipping items items. Just had a great quarter and things are starting out steady.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron