Are you still working?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Some people have job security by the nature of this situation. Doctors and nurses, for example. My job is QA work in a food factory, so naturally I am still working because people have to eat. Anyone else still working?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I work for a computer outsourcing firm. So unless a lot of large companies all go under I should be fine. I can work from home if I want. With everyone else doing that social distancing is easy. I think we had maybe 10 people in the entire building yesterday.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
CPA. They booted everyone they could out of our office and gave admin staff the choice to go home. Some are still working in the office because they aren't able to work from home.

I will never understand the attitude some staff have of "we've gotten most people out of the office so its OK for me to stay." No *******, the point is to clear everyone out. You have the ability to work from home...quit being a selfish prick and do it.

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
Financial analyst, sent us home this week. Working remotely from home. Have a 3 month old and the wife is a resident at the Iowa clinic. So I’m bottle feeding while auditing most of the time. Going to be an interesting few months.

Reactions: ianoconnor

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Superintendent doing construction mostly on pharmacies for a major conglomerate. They are stopping jobs until mid April unless yours has already started, mine just started Monday. Then it's dependent on supply chains, if we can't get materials they will park us at home for a few weeks. Same goes for inspections hopefully the county office stays open. So far it's business as usual. This job would carry me into mid May if it doesn't stall out.

Last edited:

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Yes I'll still working. Our office has about 25 people spread out over two floors so they think we're fine. This virus isn't affecting us but a recession would and I'd probably be laid off if that happened.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan964

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Sales manager at a lumber yard, we're all still working. We are diligent about wiping surfaces with disinfectant wipes. Trying to practice social distancing as much as possible. I don't foresee us closing unless things get really dire.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
Started working from home this week. Still went into the office Monday and had a talk with my boss about thinking it smart that I move to home office. He was like, yes, of course. You could've started last week. He isn't the strongest communicator.

Now I have to try my best to be productive with a kid that turns two this month all bottled up in the house for a month and a wife that's 7 months pregnant. I'm basically the butler now.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Our facility is now work-from-home. They allowed us to sign out our monitors, keyboards, docking stations, etc. I claimed our den from my wife and brought my monitors and docking station home.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
CPA. They booted everyone they could out of our office and gave admin staff the choice to go home. Some are still working in the office because they aren't able to work from home.

I will never understand the attitude some staff have of "we've gotten most people out of the office so its OK for me to stay." No *******, the point is to clear everyone out. You have the ability to work from home...quit being a selfish prick and do it.

I told one of our leadership that you have too many Type A personalities that will see 'Bob' in the office and want to be there to keep up with Bob. 2 hours later, they sent an email to everyone to work from home and walked around kicking people out.

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
Working in mortgage. Non-customer facing, but don't have capability to work from home. Company is trying to get laptops but been slow. Restless here as we know half of workforce has it and the other doesn't. But lucky to still have a job, so there's that .

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I told one of our leadership that you have too many Type A personalities that will see 'Bob' in the office and want to be there to keep up with Bob. 2 hours later, they sent an email to everyone to work from home and walked around kicking people out.

In their defense if you saw a couple Bobs in the office who wouldn't want to be there.

1z60zc.jpg

For me I moved to working remotely yesterday afternoon. I definitely have a job that's possible remotely but it's going to be interesting. I already had plenty of virtual meetings, but most still had people in the room as well so there will be an adjustment there. Then with the kids home as well not being distracted will be tough (he worries about being distracted while posting on Cyclone Fanatic).

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone