Caleb Grill Transferring

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Don't get me wrong. The tone isn't bad for either. People are generally very supportive of guys who either decide to leave, or are told to leave. But, the level of disappointment/anger in this thread compared to the Griffin thread is pretty obviously different.

Which is obviously due to their race and not the dozens of other things that differentiate them as players...?

This is not hard to comprehend. Griffin had two years to prove himself and showed very little promise. He was obviously not in Prohm's good graces. For most of the year he was the 3rd or 4th guy off the bench. The writing was clearly on the wall.

Grill was given minutes when maybe he didn't even deserve them. He showed some promise. He certainly had things to improve on, but the fact Prohm favored him over Lewis and Griffin was telling.

Totally different situations having zero to do with race.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Don't get me wrong. The tone isn't bad for either. People are generally very supportive of guys who either decide to leave, or are told to leave. But, the level of disappointment/anger in this thread compared to the Griffin thread is pretty obviously different.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with one of the players was expected to leave and one was a surprise.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
If Grill ends up going to Wichita State or even UNLV, this will make more sense to me. Wichita State due to the school being 20 minutes from where he grew up. UNLV due to him still having a connection to TJ. Caleb and his mom were still liking and retweeting anything that had to do with UNLV throughout the year.

He'll be eligible at UNLV the year TJ leaves to replace Prohm at ISU.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
...Because a lot of people expected/feared Zion leaving and not Grill? This isn't that hard to comprehend

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Swap - verb. - Take part in exchange of.

LOL my bad. I didn't even notice you mentioned swapping.

I was saying we should swap, but you already said we should swap.

so i'm gonna go swap myself off!

• Funny
Reactions: awd4cy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Rising junior who had shown very little.

Rising sophomore who had flashed more potential.

If this were Jackson instead of Grill (who is the better of the two), we would feel even worse.

The sky will fall if Conditt or Young leave.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
So many posters being reminded of the McD years must mean coronavirus infections are really ramping up.

Any more info on what the parents want. Did they see GT's and Jucos coming in keeping Caleb low in minutes? Caleb have any problems with being the high school star and struggling to get much floor time at ISU?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Rising junior who had shown very little.

Rising sophomore who had flashed more potential.

If this were Jackson instead of Grill (who is the better of the two), we would feel even worse.

The sky will fall if Conditt or Young leave.

Shut your ***** mouth ;). We don't need that kind of bad Ju-Ju.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Good luck running a program recruiting one or two and dones and losing your 4 year development guys. It doesn't work, clearly. Losing Griffin is fine since he wasn't really bought in. Losing someone like Grill, who has a fairly large ceiling once he's a single sport athlete who competes hard, is in no way, shape or form good. He wasn't ever going to be a star but he could be a role guy for a couple more years and potentially a starter down the line. The expectation that ISU is going to win recruiting one and dones and high level transfers is extremely misguided. It's basically the same recruiting world with those guys and it'd be best if everyone let go of the days when we could get top level transfers all the time because now everyone is going to fill holes with them. The way to compete is a majority of 3-4 year guys with solid roster stability and a high level talent thrown in here and there. Even at our best transfer days, our core was the 4 year guys. Not being able to retain guys like Grill, Griffin and whoever else is not the answer.

This is where I abandon hope. I don't think Prohm manages personalities well and I don't think he has any clue how to get through on the defensive end. I'll defend his offensive coaching until I'm blue in the face but the rest is lacking in a large way. I thought that if he retains a lot of the roster, gets some development from some guys, hits on this next class, and maybe grabs a guard on the transfer market, there's a solid foundation for the future. I just don't see that happening.
Yes, you need 4 year guys to be good at Iowa State but it wasn’t going to happen with Grill. Everyone wanted him to be a Thomas/Morris/Naz/Niang level 4 year guy and he just doesn’t have the ceiling those guys did. At best, Caleb would have been a 5/7PPG guy while coming off the bench.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
The vast majority if people all but expected Griffin to leave. We got two years of bad basketball out of him. Grill's departure was really very sudden and unexpected. Especially since he's a true freshman.

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
The difference in the tone of the comments when a white guy transfers out is pretty funny.
200.webp

• Funny
Reactions: DurangoCy

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Yes, the reaction was different for Zion vs Caleb. So why do you assume it has anything to do with race?

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Caleb Grill was a shooting a quard who didn't look confident enough to dribble the damn ball. Im more concerned with the fact Prohm recruited Grill, Leech and Anderson in the first place. Not the fact that they left. Prohm needs an enormous spring in the worst way. Needs two immediate impact guards or else the writing could be on the wall.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Caleb Grill was a shooting a quard who didn't look confident enough to dribble the damn ball. Im more concerned with the fact Prohm recruited Grill, Leech and Anderson in the first place. Not the fact that they left. Prohm needs an enormous spring in the worst way. Needs two immediate impact guards or else the writing could be on the wall.

There is something to be said for the bolded.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
The issue isn’t Caleb Grill or Zion Griffin transferring and losing what they bring to the program. The issue is that Prohm keeps landing players that aren’t good enough to succeed at ISU and that there seems to be a disconnect between the players and the staff. So even if you start landing players that are good enough, are we confident enough that this staff will be able to keep those guys here for more than a 1/2 years?