JUCO G Keon Ellis offered

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So you are saying that proximity means nothing for JC players, then how do you explain Kansas State, and them being able to feed off the JC programs in their state for football? Those are not Kansas kids player there, but from all over the country. Somehow I just do not think Kansas is any better than Iowa for those kids and Manhattan Kansas is not a mecca for all things football, while Ames is a dump.

There are talented players in both programs and we need talent on the field and court.

The Kansas State JUCO monopoly has been over for some time. Take a look at the 2019 JUCO recuriting rankings. Schools for all conferences, including blue bloods, were taking JUCOs.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=juniorcollege

The reason K-State was successful is JUCO recruiting was not near as prevalent as it is now. But now that the big boys are involved in JUCO recruiting they don't have any discernible advantage.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We recruit JUCO players in both sports though so what are you trying to say

I am saying that since both programs have high quality athletes on a yearly basis that we do everything in the our power to get their staffs to try and push their kids to ISU.
If we have a player that does not make grades, encourage him to attend one of those JC to get his grades up. ISU used Ellsworth during the 70's exactly like this, and we were getting some solid players out of there.

• Agree
Reactions: clone2003

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I was struggling to come up with anyone in between for JUCO guards we've had.
Doesn’t really seem like we’ve had that many! I’m young but the only JUCO guards I’ve seen at ISU are Mike Taylor, Cory McIntosh, Tyrus McGee and KJ Bluford. Production wise, I could see him averaging a similar amount of points that McGee did but as a playing style goes, I can’t really think of any JUCO’s that ISU has had that I can compare him to.

• Disagree
Reactions: moores2

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The JUCO I would say is the most similar comp is Clyburn as far as ISU guys go but he didn't come to ISU straight from JUCO.

Reactions: Doc

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Doesn’t really seem like we’ve had that many! I’m young but the only JUCO guards I’ve seen at ISU are Mike Taylor, Cory McIntosh, Tyrus McGee and KJ Bluford. Production wise, I could see him averaging a similar amount of points that McGee did but as a playing style goes, I can’t really think of any JUCO’s that ISU has had that I can compare him to.
Horton and Tinsley come to mind, but I don't suppose that's a good comp either, they're on the same end of the spectrum as McGee only they were even better.

Edit: Just came to me, Bryan Peterson!

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

D Jackson

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So you are saying that proximity means nothing for JC players, then how do you explain Kansas State, and them being able to feed off the JC programs in their state for football? Those are not Kansas kids player there, but from all over the country. Somehow I just do not think Kansas is any better than Iowa for those kids and Manhattan Kansas is not a mecca for all things football, while Ames is a dump.

There are talented players in both programs and we need talent on the field and court.
Dustin Hogue and McKay were both Indian Hills guys. At that time, Nate Schmidt who was one of the GA's had very solid connections there, but Schmidt left when Fred did. That was a huge blow as far as trying to establish a connection there.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Impressive stats; especially Trey% and FT%. My feelings are Prohm's O strategy is not a motion-O to free up a shooter, rather depends on athletically gifted players, after a high-ball screen, can work 1-on-1 in isolation miss-match, to get space and get off a shot. I hope Ellis is an immediate plug-play guy.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Dustin Hogue and McKay were both Indian Hills guys. At that time, Nate Schmidt who was one of the GA's had very solid connections there, but Schmidt left when Fred did. That was a huge blow as far as trying to establish a connection there.

McKay was a Marquette transfer, unless im remembering incorrectly

Edit: nevermind, thanks google

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
The best team in ISU history started 3 Juco guards(Horton,Tinsley and Nurse.). Nearly all of our NCAA tourney teams prior to Prohm have had at least 1 Juco starter. Prohm absolutely needs to step up his recruiting in this area.

• Agree

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The best team in ISU history started 3 Juco guards(Horton,Tinsley and Nurse.). Nearly all of our NCAA tourney teams prior to Prohm have had at least 1 Juco starter. Prohm absolutely needs to step up his recruiting in this area.
And Prohm is doing so. He's currently going after the #9 ranked JUCO player in the country and apparently we're sitting good.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
Yes. But there was a huge gap between DJ(recruited by TJ). No ISU coach should go a half decade between Juco recruits.

• Agree

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
And Prohm is doing so. He's currently going after the #9 ranked JUCO player in the country and apparently we're sitting good.
One has to think, too, with news of the offer breaking shortly following the announcement that Zion is in the portal, that odds are fairly high he's a Cyclone next year.