buying a treadmill

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
With the gyms closing down, I'm looking to buy a treadmill, as I usually only have time to run early morning/late night. Does anyone have any recommendations for one they've used? I checked out a Peleton, but didn't need/want the paid classes. Hoping for something I can stream Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, etc and not be impossible to move.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
With the gyms closing down, I'm looking to buy a treadmill, as I usually only have time to run early morning/late night. Does anyone have any recommendations for one they've used? I checked out a Peleton, but didn't need/want the paid classes. Hoping for something I can stream Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, etc and not be impossible to move.

One would think that 50% of your purchase would be spent on the ads that Peleton runs. Seriously...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Buy a tread mill and a TV. It will save you a bunch of money. Put the TV in front of the tread mill and off you go. Some have tablet hookups where you can stick and Ipad on it and use air buds to listen.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan4St8

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I haven’t used a single treadmill that had decent video/audio. Far from an expert but I’d bet the cheaper bet is one with a good iPad holder. Depending on what I’m listening to I’ll use a Bluetooth speaker, sometimes the iPad is loud enough itself.

• Agree
Reactions: Trice

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I haven’t used a single treadmill that had decent video/audio. Far from an expert but I’d bet the cheaper bet is one with a good iPad holder. Depending on what I’m listening to I’ll use a Bluetooth speaker, sometimes the iPad is loud enough itself.

I would second this. Just buy the treadmill with a good tray to hold devices, or mount an AV setup on a nearby wall. If you buy it built into the treadmill you risk it breaking and becoming useless, or becoming obsolete. Hopefully your treadmill long outlasts any AV technology anyway.

I shelled out for a Landice 15+ years ago and it's still in great shape. Heavy use in the winter, almost none in the summer. I just checked their web site and it says they're still the top-rated brand - which is marketing spin obviously but I assume they're still a great brand to buy. And holy hell have their prices gone up in 15 years...hopefully that's MSRP and you can buy cheaper at a dealer.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009

Just replaced my Sole F85 after 14 years of solid use. I prefer a folding model so that it isn't taking up space when I don't want it to be and it is a little easier to move around. But treadmills are god awful heavy regardless. I ended up going with a Nordictrack 2450 over the Sole F85. The NT has a few more bells and whistles but the key feature for me was the ability to do a 3% decline. The Sole has a little more metal and is a little cheaper. Both had 22 X 60 treads which is what you want if you are going to be running on it. The NT also comes with ifit, which is their version of the peloton classes. Kind of a cool feature is the ability to map a course on google maps and it adjusts the incline to match the course while flipping through street view images as you progress. I agree with just mounting a tv instead of getting it on the TM.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Don't thumb your nose to something from CraigsList or Facebook Marketplace. People buy treadmills all the time, then either never use them or have to move and can't bring it along. I once bought a treadmill for $50 that was smallish (for a treadmill), had loads of features, and lasted me for many years. I had to get rid of it when I had to briefly move to a second floor situation.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Don't thumb your nose to something from CraigsList or Facebook Marketplace. People buy treadmills all the time, then either never use them or have to move and can't bring it along. I once bought a treadmill for $50 that was smallish (for a treadmill), had loads of features, and lasted me for many years. I had to get rid of it when I had to briefly move to a second floor situation.
My treadmill is a Pro Form that was in the shed of a house my sister bought. I've put 100s of miles on that thing. Sadly it is currently used as place to lay stuff. Might have to clean that off if things get worse.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Forget the electronics and gadgets, the most important part of the treadmill is the motor. Get a 'commercial' grade motor and it will last a long time. I put a lot of miles on mine in the winter. Started by buying cheap ones off craigslist/facebook but got tired of needing to lug them up/down the stairs when they crapped out. Broke down and bought a top of the line Pro Form and couldn't be happier. Also, search reviews. They do a good job of explaining the difference between models.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Just replaced my Sole F85 after 14 years of solid use. I prefer a folding model so that it isn't taking up space when I don't want it to be and it is a little easier to move around. But treadmills are god awful heavy regardless. I ended up going with a Nordictrack 2450 over the Sole F85. The NT has a few more bells and whistles but the key feature for me was the ability to do a 3% decline. The Sole has a little more metal and is a little cheaper. Both had 22 X 60 treads which is what you want if you are going to be running on it. The NT also comes with ifit, which is their version of the peloton classes. Kind of a cool feature is the ability to map a course on google maps and it adjusts the incline to match the course while flipping through street view images as you progress. I agree with just mounting a tv instead of getting it on the TM.
We have a Sole as well. Not sure what model, but I was around 280 when my wife bought it, and it was rated one of the best for heavy hitters. She did a ton of research and chose this one. I think it goes up to 15 incline and 12 mph maybe? It's been a really good treadmill. (She rarely uses it, but I have put several miles on it.)

We also have a TV mounted on the wall with FireTV hooked up to it. Also a DVD for any workout videos. But I'm guessing if you don't have a dedicated room for working out, this may not be a reasonable approach.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cystheman