Bowen Born

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I'll do you one better. Malik Allen is a 5'11" junior that is averaging 28 ppg for Des Moines North (who plays a tougher schedule than Norwalk). If he can bump that up into the mid-thirties next year we are guaranteed to offer him.

Am I missing a jimlad?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Did anyone else take that 2 handed throw down at The Well as a couple middle fingers to his doubters? Not looking to rehash a worn subject. Just thought he's got a butt load of what the Waterboy called tackling fuel.

Last edited:

Apr 19, 2006
Did anyone else take that 2 handed throw down at The Well as a couple middle fingers to his doubters? Not looking to rehash a worn subject. Just thought he's got a butt load of what the Waterboy called tackling fuel.

He throws it down as often as he can.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

No, Colonel Sanders, you're wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: CycloneTJS

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i still can't believe after watching our team shoot this summer that prohm didn't hand deliver that kid a scholarship. should've done it the second they put the gold medal on tyrese's neck.

• Winner
  • Funny
Reactions: Drew0311 and Cydkar

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
no

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
i still can't believe after watching our team shoot this summer that prohm didn't hand deliver that kid a scholarship. should've done it the second they put the gold medal on tyrese's neck.
I have heard from 1 source who claims to have inside info (I still don't believe this person) that Tyrese is coming back. Like I said, I pulled out the BS card out of my pocket as soon as he said it. But if true this would make no sense.

• Funny
Reactions: bostrem00

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I didn't think Bowen was worth a scholarship offer after his sophomore year. Thought we maybe should have offered after his Junior year but oh well. However, after seeing how bad we shot this year and how good Bowen can launch it. I think we really messed up no offering him.

Then again by the time this all went down I would have been to late with the offer also. I think Iowa and Iowa State are gong to be regretting not getting him. I think he will be a very slid player at UNI. His dad was a late developer also. Ended up transferring to Iowa State. So there is still hope. haha

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I didn't think Bowen was worth a scholarship offer after his sophomore year. Thought we maybe should have offered after his Junior year but oh well. However, after seeing how bad we shot this year and how good Bowen can launch it. I think we really messed up no offering him.

Then again by the time this all went down I would have been to late with the offer also. I think Iowa and Iowa State are gong to be regretting not getting him. I think he will be a very slid player at UNI. His dad was a late developer also. Ended up transferring to Iowa State. So there is still hope. haha

We were #7 in the Big 12 in three-point shooting last year -- with Haliburton and Bolton, our two best shooters, each missing stretches with injury.

upload_2020-3-16_13-13-46.png

We were not a great shooting team last year, but we were not an atrocious one, either. I know complaining about shooting is easier to see, but our problem really was defense, not offense. We were a negative outlier on defense versus the conference.

upload_2020-3-16_13-14-30.png

The gap between Iowa State and #9 TCU on defense was as large as the gap between TCU going all the way up to #5 Texas and almost up to #4 TTU. Were were bad on D.

But we were pretty good on offense (we were #3 until Haliburton and Bolton went down to injuries, which ground our offensive efficiency down) --

upload_2020-3-16_13-15-0.png

We need to learn how to stop, not how to score/shoot, relatively speaking.

A 5'10" kid from the Little Hawkeye Conference is probably going to have trouble defending Big 12 guards, even if he is a slightly better shooter than Caleb Grill.

Last edited:

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Bowen dunks as often as he can. Just like anyone else that can dunk.

And as for the bad shooting at State Tournament.... It happens. You saw him passing more and creating for others. He had 11 assists against Ballard. So there goes the idea he won't pass the ball.

Seriously though... He's the most down to earth humble kids I've seen. He loves basketball. He's a great roll model. He never argues calls, never pounds his chest. He always hands the ball back to officials. Every kid that plays basketball in Norwalk looks up to him. Happy they finished the Boys tournament and he got to finish his career with the trophy. It was a very cool celebration when the team got back to town.

• Winner
Reactions: Drew0311

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

And as for the bad shooting at State Tournament.... It happens. You saw him passing more and creating for others. He had 11 assists against Ballard. So there goes the idea he won't pass the ball.

Seriously though... He's the most down to earth humble kids I've seen. He loves basketball. He's a great roll model. He never argues calls, never pounds his chest. He always hands the ball back to officials. Every kid that plays basketball in Norwalk looks up to him. Happy they finished the Boys tournament and he got to finish his career with the trophy. It was a very cool celebration when the team got back to town.

Happy for the young man.

Hope he has a good career at UNI.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006

CSP probably not interested in someone he doesn’t need to reform

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
CSP probably not interested in someone he doesn’t need to reform
No one knows how good Bowen Born is going to be at the collegiate level. He's an incredibly nice and talented kid, who probably was under recruited a tad, but that doesn't mean we should bash Steve for not giving him a scholarship.

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
Big 12 guards would eat that kids lunch. If Clayton Custer didn’t work out at ISU, Born sure as hell ain’t working out... you would just be tying up a scholarship, and wasting a year of his eligibility.
Hope we don't have to play UNI anytime soon! Between him and Green they might go off for 60 points a night. I guess why would anyone want Iowa's Mr. Basketball!

Last edited:

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
Terrence Lewis shot 56% from 3 in high school and is a career 30% 3 point shooter at Iowa State. High school stats are pretty meaningless
Yes but it's those stats that give them the opportunity to play college ball! It's a crap shoot, sometimes you luck out other times you don't!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron