Twister Sister Summary - Looking back and ahead...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
It is really hard to put this season into perspective with it being cut short so suddenly. Yes, I truly enjoy that our last game was a victory over Baylor. Of course I was thoroughly depressed about not getting to go to KC and watch the ladies perform again. They had improved their stock value and were sure to get a decent seed in the big dance. That would have been exciting. But no...it all came to a crashing halt. The careers of some amazing women came to an end no one expected.

Looking back I think of the growth each of the seniors illustrated. AC kept showing glimpses of talent in her first three seasons, but the consistency just wasn't there. One thing that was there was that she hustled all the time. In that sense she reminded me of Tracy Gahan and Jess Schroll. But this year. She wasn't the star on the team, but she could be counted on game in and game out to make critical plays on both ends of the court. She was a leader for a team sorely in need of one. Jade Thurmon came in with a solid pedigree, but really reminded me of an unbroken horse. You could see the skills and the speed was undeniable. But, she was erratic and out of control. The adjustment to a power 5 program and competition was tough on her. On the plus side she learned and she put the effort in prior to her last year to get better. While she still had ups and downs, as the season went along she got more minutes and became a go to player. She was pesky on defense, could break a defender down with her drives, and she made those around her play the game a little quicker. My favorite transfer was Inez Nezerwa. The "what if's" of having her for four years always entered my mind. She gave 100% all of the time. She was still learning the game and you could see the joy in her eyes when she was on the court. She had the greatest desire to improve of anyone I've seen in some time. Nia Washington ended up doing more than I expected. I always felt she was too small for the Big 12 and in many ways I think that limited her. She never gave up. While others in her recruiting class left, she stuck it out. Never got a lot of playing time, but she was every bit a member of this team. I give her credit for that.

As for the season...this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Did anyone expect Ashley Joens to emerge the way she did? If you say yes, you're lying. The team was beaten down with injuries from day 1. Rae and Kristen battled injuries all season. Kristen seemed to have regained her form and was playing at all-conference level when she went down again. Rae was always suffering. Then having Madison have problems with migraines. How did this team ever get the wins it did this year with so many key parts missing? That says something about the entire team. We saw Fennelly play a deeper lineup and those that came in didn't let anyone down. That excites me for the future. This team worked hard. Yes, they lost games they shouldn't have and they won a few we didn't expect. But they showed...even short key players...they could play with anyone. For the first time ever they lost to all three in-state teams. Were they that bad? No. Think about it. The team was trying to figure things out with players injured and those early losses were just part of the growth. Those same three teams had best hang on the next few years. Long story short...I kind of like that if the season had to end the way it did it was against Baylor and we won. I can live with that. Last game playing at the highest level against the best competition out there.

So, what about the future. We've all been following the performances of the incoming class of guards. They excite the crap out of me. We have some serious scoring coming into the house next year. No more worries about who plays point. Let's get Scott, Johnson and Wise healthy. This team will be deep (albeit the guards will be freshmen...we can't forget that) and expectations sky high. With the experience gained this year by the youngsters, we could be a ten deep team IF everyone pans out like expected. I felt bad that the Kansas state tourney was halted after round one. I wanted to see Emily Ryan break all the records and have four state titles to her name. The younger Joens suffered like her sister did coming away empty at state. It was no fault of hers though as she performed admirably. Donarski shows all the signs of being a great point as she distributes quite well and can score as needed. I love her stretch on defense. She's a five star for a reason. Feuerbach is that complete player who can do a bit of everything. You look at these four and it makes you drool with anticipation.

Well, that's a wrap. Another season in the books with perhaps the strangest of strange endings. Kind of like remembering when the NFL went on strike back in the day. One that that won't happen is we won't forget another great senior class that probably showed more growth in a short period of time than most. Seems strange it's all over, but we'll see you all next fall. I'm excited. I'm retiring this spring and I'll be able to make every single game at home next year and probably some roadies as well. Life is good.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My way too early take is next year will be similar. Hopefully Scott, Johnson and Wise are all healthy and able to play as many minutes as are needed but no guarantees there. None of these were sprained ankles or pulled muscles that are sure to heal.

If everyone is reasonably health than I don't see anything we lose that isn't getting filled. We will have two posts to backup Scott so that will be similar. I think Kane can be every bit as good as Ines as a backup for minutes relief or even get time with Scott depending on match ups. She's only just played her first year and still seems a little raw on offense but can mix it up some out there in the paint and on defense. No idea what to expect from our post transfer. She seemed like sort of a project as a HS recruit so we will have to wait and see.

Not sure how much the rest of the not Baylors in the Big 12 will be. It was another weak year but I am no Geewago in following the other teams so not sure what to expect from them all next year. League schools weren't really tearing it up in recruiting ranking. After Baylor and ISU in the Top 10 the next was TCU at #27 WVU #31 Texas #38 . I am just going to go and assume the league will be similar again, maybe with WVU not crashing and burning like they did this year. Weird to see a team with a supposedly good coach and some good players disintegrate like that. Not sure what their issue was. Wondering when coaching changes hit Texas and OU.

Did cancel my Cyclone.TV yesterday before it renewed. Looking forward to more league games on ESPN+ next year.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I was so happy that AD was able to have a great senior season. She never seemed to find her footing in her first 3 years. I know Ashley was a huge reason for the team's success but AD's play this year also played a huge role especially when we were down in numbers.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
What’s everyone’s predictions of the starting lineup next year?

Here’s mine
PG: Lexi Donarski
Rae Johnson
Maggie Espen-Miller McGraw
Ashley Joens
Kristin Scott
6. Madison Wise
7. Emily Ryan
8. Aubrey Joens
9. Lindsey Jarosinski
10. Kylie F
11. Morgan Kane
12. Gabby McBride
13. Maddie Frederick

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
[Kane's] only just played her first year and still seems a little raw on offense but can mix it up some out there in the paint and on defense. No idea what to expect from our post transfer. She seemed like sort of a project as a HS recruit so we will have to wait and see.

Agreed that Kane seems to be a decent defender and could use some offensive improvement. I'm looking forward to seeing her develop the next three seasons. Nezerwa made some huge strides toward the end of this season.

Jarosinski was pretty well regarded out of high school. BlueStarBB had her #43. ASGR had her #102. ESPN had her as a 90-grade 3-star (same as Kane). She didn't see much time on the court her one season at Wake, though.

Did cancel my Cyclone.TV yesterday before it renewed. Looking forward to more league games on ESPN+ next year.
Thanks for reminding me to do the same.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

My guess:

Starters:
PG: Ryan (I'm sold on her as the future primary PG, although Donarski is also capable)
G: Donarski
G: MEM
G: Ashley Joens
F: Scott

Primary Guard Rotation (in no particular order):
Johnson
Wise
Aubrey Joens
Feuerbach
Frederick

Primary Post Rotation:
Kane
Jarosinski

A 12-player rotation is exceptionally deep. It's possible one or two of the freshmen may need a year of development before seeing consistent PT. Fred looked good at times but will need to continue improving to get consistent PT, and I think she's capable of doing that. Johnson may start at PG early in the season, but I suspect Fennelly might want to get Ryan and Donarski thrown into the fire right away.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
What is fun is seeing us (regardless of who we guess will start) looking at a ten deep lineup. I’m honestly bummed about losing Cyclone TV. The app on my Apple TV has always worked flawlessly and allows me to see all sorts of Cyclone content that won’t be on ESPN+.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
What is fun is seeing us (regardless of who we guess will start) looking at a ten deep lineup. I’m honestly bummed about losing Cyclone TV. The app on my Apple TV has always worked flawlessly and allows me to see all sorts of Cyclone content that won’t be on ESPN+.
What did I miss about Cyclones.tv?

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
My guess:

Starters:
PG: Ryan (I'm sold on her as the future primary PG, although Donarski is also capable)
G: Donarski
G: MEM
G: Ashley Joens
F: Scott

Primary Guard Rotation (in no particular order):
Johnson
Wise
Aubrey Joens
Feuerbach
Frederick

Primary Post Rotation:
Kane
Jarosinski

A 12-player rotation is exceptionally deep. It's possible one or two of the freshmen may need a year of development before seeing consistent PT. Fred looked good at times but will need to continue improving to get consistent PT, and I think she's capable of doing that. Johnson may start at PG early in the season, but I suspect Fennelly might want to get Ryan and Donarski thrown into the fire right away.
I like it. I need to watch some Emily Ryan replays. I’ve admittedly really only seen games from Donarski. I think it’s highly unlikely that the NCAA grants seniors an additional year like they are doing with spring sports but if they did, it would be interesting to see if Camber, Ines or Thurmon came back.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I like it. I need to watch some Emily Ryan replays. I’ve admittedly really only seen games from Donarski. I think it’s highly unlikely that the NCAA grants seniors an additional year like they are doing with spring sports but if they did, it would be interesting to see if Camber, Ines or Thurmon came back.

Camber would be gone for sure I guess pretty sure she has some kind of high powered job lined up in Chicago(?).

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I could see for seniors in spring sports getting an extra year but winter sports teams seniors played 90% of their season.

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
How many of the seniors in any sport would want to come back unless your getting a masters? Most people by the time you get to be a Sr are ready to be done with school.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO

Here’s mine
PG: Lexi Donarski
Rae Johnson
Maggie Espen-Miller McGraw
Ashley Joens
Kristin Scott
6. Madison Wise
7. Emily Ryan
8. Aubrey Joens
9. Lindsey Jarosinski
10. Kylie F
11. Morgan Kane
12. Gabby McBride
13. Maddie Frederick

If Wise is healthy next season, I think she is in the starting five. Rae may get early starts, but Donasrski or Ryan should fill the spot by conference. This team could easily go 10 deep, but that is not in Fennelly's rotation comfort zone. Anything beyond 7 or 8 will be role players at best.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Doing some cleaning and going through boxes of newspaper articles I've cut out over the years. Saturday went through a box with articles from the days of Grimm and Olson, Kim Martin, Tara Gunderson and Julie Hand. Brought back some good memories.

Reactions: Buster28

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Doing some cleaning and going through boxes of newspaper articles I've cut out over the years. Saturday went through a box with articles from the days of Grimm and Olson, Kim Martin, Tara Gunderson and Julie Hand. Brought back some good memories.

Fennelly definitely brought the program out of the dark ages. Same with Christi in volleyball.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I graduated in 2001. My last two years of school, I went to several volleyball matches. I never saw ISU win a single SET, let alone match.
Yeah, I'm not sure people remember how TRULY awful Iowa State volleyball was prior to CJL's arrival. Linda Crum was NOT a good coach in any way, shape or form. In six seasons, her teams managed to win just 8 league contests. Total. The previous two seasons to Crum leading the program were also one-win league ventures. ISU finished dead last in the Big 12 seven of the previous eight seasons (dating back to 1997) before CJL. And, yes, there were some years where the Cyclones only won a handful of sets (especially in Big 12 play) over the course of an entire season. For example: in 1999, ISU won just THREE sets over the course of that Big 12 campaign, and that was in a five set win over Kansas. That history is a big part of the reason why a program like Nebraska went 75-0 against Iowa State all-time until 2009 (yes, ISU was not always that bad, but Nebraska was nearly always that good). That ANYone showed up to watch them play during that era is quite amazing.

(I realize this has nothing to do with wbb, but so what. I'm bored. It came up in the thread.) :p

Reactions: ISC

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
I have watched on YouTube several game of both Donarski and Ryan. And I am a total mature at assessing talent so proceed with caution. Both players have some similar attributes.

Both seem to me to be faster with the dribble than any of their defenders on a fast break. Both get a lot of points with their defence - stealing the ball for a layup or teammate's layup. Both have great court vision and readily pass the ball to open teammates for layups - often 3/4 court length passes.

I think Lexi gets her 3-point shot up a little faster but both are good from that range. Both have good pull-up jumpers and are good with difficult layups.

Both benefit by playing around other talented players under good coaching and systems. Both their teams get a significant number of points because of their defense and steals.v watched one game where Ryan had two steals for layups in a row!

Overall I am encouraged by what I saw.