Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Am I reading this correctly that we've completed tests on less than 50 people state-wide?

Is that saying how many have been tested? Or is that the monitoring?

I'm not certain, but the way I interpret that page is that 156 people are being monitored (and presumably have been tested) and 47 others are no longer being monitored.

That page is pretty vague and poorly written, and arguably misleading.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm not certain, but the way I interpret that page is that 156 people are being monitored (and presumably have been tested) and 47 others are no longer being monitored.

That page is pretty vague and poorly written, and arguably misleading.

I wish there were more information, like how many of the deaths had other conditions, and specifically what those conditions were, etc., also what sort of conditions were the peak for those that tested positive early in the symptoms vs. late, etc.

There's been some of this but shouldn't it be something standard to keep us informed?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I wish there were more information, like how many of the deaths had other conditions, and specifically what those conditions were, etc., also what sort of conditions were the peak for those that tested positive early in the symptoms vs. late, etc.

There's been some of this but shouldn't it be something standard to keep us informed?

I think the state's response to the public has been inadequate thus far. That page is inadequate. I won't say more in this thread.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Governor Reynolds:

Still not calling for school closures.

Short term closures for schools that show positive cases for cleaning, etc.
Larger number of cases => longer closures

======
This is my opinion/question here:
If schools close, how many grandparents are going to fill in as the caregiver rather than a parent? Do we risk having our older generation become the caregivers for the young, potentially asymptomatic carriers?

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Governor Reynolds:

Still not calling for school closures.

Short term closures for schools that show positive cases for cleaning, etc.
Larger number of cases => longer closures

======
This is my opinion/question here:
If schools close, how many grandparents are going to fill in as the caregiver rather than a parent? Do we risk having our older generation become the caregivers for the young, potentially asymptomatic carriers?

I'm not sure. There aren't easy answers. But I'd bet we have a lot more community spread than they know about now.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Closing schools puts 20% of the states nurses at home with their kids. Couple that with grandparents assisting with kid watching duties, it’s probably worse if you close them.

maybe, maybe not. We just don't know. Kim said that it could change.

The most important thing is more testing so we know what is going on.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Closing schools puts 20% of the states nurses at home with their kids. Couple that with grandparents assisting with kid watching duties, it’s probably worse if you close them.

Gotta stop the spread. Flatten the curve. If we don’t do that then it’s possible nothing will matter and we’ll be in an Italy situation a few weeks. Social distancing is the key. That is the math and science of the matter.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Gotta stop the spread. Flatten the curve. If we don’t do that then it’s possible nothing will matter and we’ll be in an Italy situation a few weeks. Social distancing is the key. That is the math and science of the matter.

That’s fine, but you have to flatten the curve even further if you reduce the hospital capacity. Kids aren’t the issue for spreading the virus if you read about this, it’s all the adult social contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron