Does the Coronavirus make Haliburton stay?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I must be the only one that looks at Tyrese and thinks, OK, you can only shoot two-handed set shots or drives to the rim. No jump shot at all. Defense is average or maybe slightly above at best. This year he had a lot of sloppy turnovers. I think he has a lot to work on to really be a top prospect. Just not seeing what these NBA scouts think they are seeing, but admittedly I'm just an amateur watching from my recliner. I guess just like THT, he has great potential that needs to be developed.
Look at what he did last year on Team USA. He was arguably one of their best players.
Surround him with high level talent and he looks like a top player.
We had no talent around him this year.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
With the talk of granting seniors an extra year of eligibility, I wondered if that would open the door for Jacobson or Nixon to return - if they'd even choose to. While we are one of the few teams in the country whose season actually did conclude, it wouldn't be fair to keep that option for other schools and not for us.

Edit: perhaps I should have said one of the few power league teams to have concluded, lots of smaller schools ended already
No because that takes scholarships away from incoming freshman

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Kind of feels like a can of worms sort of deal.

Kidding, but what's next, grant another year if you're upset in the first round?
Global pandemic doesn’t change things?this is an awful comparison.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I know I know I know, but hear me out. They cancelled the Portsmouth Invitational.

Is there a real possibility that going to the draft this year versus waiting one more year could actually get you more money, or the value of the draft this year is great diminished because of no NCAA tournament? Would it then be worth it for Haliburton to just stay another year?

I think it could be debated. I still think he goes if he’s predicted top 10, but does this shake things up?

You.........I like how you think

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
There’s no way that seniors are going to get another year.
It's 'our' government. One thing I've learned in life is they do some incredibly stupid stuff. Especially when moral is low and public visibility is high (ie now). Case in point: Florida State was just deemed national champion in basketball this year by their state senate. C'mon, with what's going on they have time for this crap? Maybe they should focus on their sink holes.

• Funny
Reactions: LindenCy

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Based on what we return next year he would be a fool to come back. It’s not like he’s returning to a team with National Championship hopes...we’ll be hopeful to be a bubble team. We should be very happy for one of own to go on a be a lottery pick and make life changing money.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Based on what we return next year he would be a fool to come back. It’s not like he’s returning to a team with National Championship hopes...we’ll be hopeful to be a bubble team. We should be very happy for one of own to go on a be a lottery pick and make life changing money.

Oh I am happy for him. But that wasn't what I asked. I asked if the coronavirus is going to shake up the draft enough that he potentially stays?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Oh I am happy for him. But that wasn't what I asked. I asked if the coronavirus is going to shake up the draft enough that he potentially stays?

Not sure if Haliburton was even going to participate in any of the pre draft camps or combine due to his injury so not sure the canceling of the travel really would effect Tyrese's stock either way. I actually think it solidifies him as a top 10 pick, he has almost 2 full years of evaluations which would tip evaluations his way over a combine phenom who played overseas.
Also if his injury and the canceling of the NCAA post season shows anything plans can be changed in a second, He has the opportunity to set his family up for life right now. There are no guarantees that happens next year.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
With the talk of granting seniors an extra year of eligibility, I wondered if that would open the door for Jacobson or Nixon to return - if they'd even choose to. While we are one of the few teams in the country whose season actually did conclude, it wouldn't be fair to keep that option for other schools and not for us.

Edit: perhaps I should have said one of the few power league teams to have concluded, lots of smaller schools ended already

Imagine the nightmare scenario where other schools get to bring back their seniors and we have to waste another scholarship year on Nixon.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Imagine the nightmare scenario where other schools get to bring back their seniors and we have to waste another scholarship year on Nixon.

In this scenario, I would assume the NCAA grants these schools waivers on scholarship limits for the players affected so it wouldn't be a question of wasting it.

Probably doesn't matter, if I'm understanding correctly the momentum seems to be toward giving spring sport athletes their year of eligibility back, not winter athletes.

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
In this scenario, I would assume the NCAA grants these schools waivers on scholarship limits for the players affected so it wouldn't be a question of wasting it.

Probably doesn't matter, if I'm understanding correctly the momentum seems to be toward giving spring sport athletes their year of eligibility back, not winter athletes.
I don’t see any way seniors come back. What if a team has 6 good seniors that all come back and they have 6 incoming freshmen. How is that fair that they get 6 extra scholarships versus a team that maybe didn’t have any seniors?

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
No go make your money, and no to seniors getting granted another year, that doesn’t help/ isn’t fair for the up and incoming freshmen.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
From yesterday's story in the USA Today:

The NCAA has decided to address rule changes that would provide avenues for Division I student-athletes in spring sports to regain lost eligibility and is considering the possibility of enacting similar waivers for athletes in winter sports whose seasons were recently cut short.

Extending similar scholarship relief to those participating in winter sports, namely men's and women's basketball, will be discussed for student-athletes "who were unable to participate in conference or NCAA champions," the letter continued.

Now that seems like a pretty unfair way to handle it to me. A school like ISU who got its final game in just before the deadline would not have extra eligibility for seniors, but a school like Kansas State whose season would have ended just a few hours later would get eligibility back because their game got canceled just prior to it being played. Even if they limited the extra eligibility to NCAA-qualifying teams, that's still potentially a huge advantage for a number of schools next season that others don't get. Hopefully they offer it for everyone or no one at all.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...gibility-athletes-due-coronavirus/5043299002/